Mapping Advice

• Im happy to be getting into mapping, I’d love to get some hands on experience with it though. As of now I only know the bare basics and a bit of extra from what I’ve been toying with on my test maps.

Im planning on getting into mapping for various game modes, so please get back to me on this, it’ll be lovely to hear from you guys.

I only got this image as an example, though its rough to say the least, I need some help with lighting as obviously I was just touching it here.

I used counterstrike for an example just because the map looked darkest on it.

Just ignore the ceiling lamp with the white lighting, I was looking through props to use for ceiling lighting.

• Im happy to be getting into mapping, I’d love to get some hands on experience with it though. As of now I only know the bare basics and a bit of extra from what I’ve been toying with on my test maps.

Im planning on getting into mapping for various game modes, so please get back to me on this, it’ll be lovely to hear from you guys.

I only got this image as an example, though its rough to say the least, I need some help with lighting as obviously I was just touching it here.

I used counterstrike for an example just because the map looked darkest on it.

Just ignore the ceiling lamp with the white lighting, I was looking through props to use for ceiling lighting.

• There should be some lighting props that look like warehouse lights that would work good. Also note that in the light entity, there is a constant, linear, and quadratic option. constant means the light illuminates infinitely and quadratic has a more dramatic drop-off than linear.

• Plan your entire map first, detail comes last.

• @Pufulet:

Plan your entire map first, detail comes last.

Trust me pufu, this isn’t a map, it’s literally an example scene I made.

Its just one underground train tunnel with a catwalk for people to walk on, as to set the scene.

• @Humin:

There should be some lighting props that look like warehouse lights that would work good. Also note that in the light entity, there is a constant, linear, and quadratic option. constant means the light illuminates infinitely and quadratic has a more dramatic drop-off than linear.

Im going more for constant, thanks for the tip.

Once I ACTUALLY set up my hammer for just gmod, I’ll get back on making more examples like this for advice.

• I’ve got two good zombie survival map ideas, mainly for ze and zo though

ze_TheMayanMistake

Ever wondered what happened to such a thriving civilization?

Ever want to travel back in time to see what truly happened for yourself?

You and a group of your fellow black mesa special forces travel back in time to get the record set straight, only to find out, it’s not what you expected….

zo_CadeForYourLife

Shits gone bad after freeman fucked over with that crystal shit, god knows what it was, but you and a group of fellow survivors need to cade your way out of black mesa, only problem is…. there are no stairs or elevators left to go through, it’s all been destroyed or baracaded by the special forces moving into the facility.

Ones a wacky light hearted ze map meant more for being fun, while the other is a serious objective where the main priority is to cade for protection, and to cade your way out.

• I’ve got the minor concepts for the overlay of the objective map while the other one was something that just sprouted up while watching tv.

• Not a ZS mapper, but what Pufulet said is true. Make the map’s basic layout first, then add details once that’s done. Trying to do both will lead to the WIP map potentially having more issues (due to something you overlooked), and it can be more overwhelming in general.

• Oh I know, I try to draw basic concepts before I even think about making a map, otherwise alll my ideas are written down in the old noodle

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.