[RELEASE] eft_slamdunk

• Introducing eft_slamdunk (previously eft_spacejam), a basketball inspired map with obstacles that can be ran across, along with a way to “slam dunk” the ball once close enough to the goal (from below).

After fiddling with other maps making minor fixes, I decided I should try to create one from scratch. After Grimace suggested I should add basketball goals in an early version of the map, I decided to get help from lerp, who combined his protoype basketball map with this one. Many EFT regulars who helped give feedback during creation said they were impressed, and would love to play a real game on it. Any other feedback would be great, as it would be awesome to have a new EFT map up on NoX.

EDIT: Fixed download link below.

• Introducing eft_slamdunk (previously eft_spacejam), a basketball inspired map with obstacles that can be ran across, along with a way to “slam dunk” the ball once close enough to the goal (from below).

After fiddling with other maps making minor fixes, I decided I should try to create one from scratch. After Grimace suggested I should add basketball goals in an early version of the map, I decided to get help from lerp, who combined his protoype basketball map with this one. Many EFT regulars who helped give feedback during creation said they were impressed, and would love to play a real game on it. Any other feedback would be great, as it would be awesome to have a new EFT map up on NoX.

EDIT: Fixed download link below.

• Gameplay looks like it’d be fun. Those textures make me want to vomit, however. Try making the walls doorless like most indoor maps with  (reinforced) windows for an audience.

• Your map is probably leaked, there are no light bounces on any pictures, also compile it for HDR when you fix the leaks and for the love of god fix those ugly textured

• fix your ugly face ya dirty huezilian

• @commandhat:

Gameplay looks like it’d be fun. Those textures make me want to vomit, however. Try making the walls doorless like most indoor maps with  (reinforced) windows for an audience.

So something like in Hand Egg?

@Samuel:

Your map is probably leaked, there are no light bounces on any pictures, also compile it for HDR when you fix the leaks and for the love of god fix those ugly textured

I don’t think the map has any leaks, it’s just very amateur lighting (I just got started in Hammer and lighting is probably the hardest thing to get correct).

• Could I see the compile log? Just attach the file.

You should work on the aesthetics, it doesn’t look like it has anything to do with spacejam other than the bloated picture of Michael Jordan.

• Ok, here’s a rar file containing the bsp, vmf, and the log file. If anybody wants to improve the map’s lighting or fix anything that should be corrected, please do.

• @dissident93:

Ok, here’s a rar file containing the bsp, vmf, and the log file. If anybody wants to improve the map’s lighting or fix anything that should be corrected, please do.

I am interested now.

So, a general fix, then?

• Yea, the map’s layout and textures are fine (No more Jordan, btw), it’s just the lighting that could be fixed.

• @dissident93:

Yea, the map’s layout and textures are fine (No more Jordan, btw), it’s just the lighting that could be fixed.

Kay. I will give it a quick peak, then.

What is wrong with the lighting, anyway? The screenshots look fine.

Perhaps not for me, then.

• The screenshots are from an earlier version (should I remove them from the OP?), the one in the rar file has different ceiling/lights, and I couldn’t seem to replicate it like I had it.

• The map is now called eft_slamdunk, and I’ve fixed minor things in the map since the last upload, and also removed the roof entirely in favor of a sky with a sun. I eventually want the map to be surrounded by a beachy palm tree type 3D skybox, but for now I think this should be good enough for v1. But if I did anything wrong, please let me know because a lot of EFT regulars want this map on the server.

Download link here. (along with the VMF and log file, for whom it may concern)

• You’re using textures from team-fortress 2. You’ll need to change that.

• Or at the very least pack the textures and materials in to the bsp.

• As an idea to improve on aesthetic, a block wall defining the perimeter of the map never looks good. Have a look at building a skybox for scenery.

• @dissident93:

I eventually want the map to be surrounded by a beachy palm tree type 3D skybox, but for now I think this should be good enough for v1.

• While I do want a 3D skybox with the image of the sunny beach with swaying palm trees (or perhaps something else?), I’m afraid that my lack of creativity (and lack of experience of using Hammer) will make it look very cheap and amateurish. I’ll try to do this, but somebody else might want to fix it up so it doesn’t look so cheap.

• Don’t worry, gameplay should be top priority anyways. If it plays well in its current state, feel free to make it look prettier later on in a future version. There’s a good handful of maps for EFT that look nice but are terrible gameplay-wise.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.