[PFRPG] Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Play-by-Post Recruitment Thread.

• Hey guys, last year I tried running D&D over Roll20 and for a while it was great, but because of work, time constraints and a whole bunch of stuff happening at once I stopped being able to run it. I would love to run it again but I find myself still too constraint in the evenings to run more than an hour or two which is far too little. However considering how much time I have at work to waste just writing away I can easily run a play-by-post forum game.

A Play-by-post is quite different than an active game sessions in a few ways, obviously the first is that things move at a much slower pace. People who will play have to be able to consistently post, I will hold everyone including myself to this and I will attempt to be as consistent in my posting as I can. I usually have the ability to check around 11am-12pm EST first time of the day and throughout the day until 2am. If you know that you cannot be consistent then this is not for you. This isn’t me saying that if you miss a day you’re out, everyone will have days where they can’t get on and obviously there will be odd changes. In that case give a heads up and we can postpone a day.

For those who played D&D and are seeing Pathfinder and saying, “Oh god, I need to learn a new RPG system.” calm down. Pathfinder is practically the exact same system with some minor changes, but to core gameplay it is essentially the same as it runs off the d20 system. The classes are revamped and some new content but overall its the same game, my mastery of the rules has gotten a lot better from playing with my friends on weekends.

Before I address how it’s played and all that let me give you an overview of what I will be running. The adventure is called Rise of the Runelords, it’s a 4-player adventure set in the world of Golarion. Don’t know anything about it? Neither did I when I first started. It’s a 6 part adventure that takes place over 6 books that go from level 1-18.

This adventure actually comes with a Player’s Guide that can give you some insight on the basics, there are other resources that can give you even more ideas and you are more then welcome to PM me at any time and discuss character creation. This one actually has two companions because it has an anniversary edition.

Rise of the Runelords Player Companion’s:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/82ndazilbsjea7o/PZO9000-S%20Rise%20of%20the%20Runelords%20Player%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q21zhnio2qb2y73/PZO1002-PGE%20Rise%20of%20the%20Runelords%20Anniversary%20Edition%20Player%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

For the meantime that’s all I’ll provide, once players are locked in then we can discuss this further.

How will this all work?

Like I said this campaign is for 4 player’s only. No more, and well less means you usually die horrible painful deaths. Most of the management will be done by me, character sheets will be updated by me in the style we did it before and dice rolls will be done by me. Essentially here is an example of what you would do.

Drunkenorc sits down, head in hands, heavily wounded from the massive horde of Kobolds that continue to hunt him down and exhausted from the fight. “Well, friends, looks like we all need a rest. Shall we set up camp for the night?”

Now of course if there is a roll required, say you are talking to somebody and require a Sense Motive roll done to know if he just slipped something into your drink you can state.

I would like to Sense Motive on Faggotface.

At which point my next post would have the results of the roll and the reaction. All rolls will be posted by me, you will be responsible for your character’s reactions and actions but the results will always be posted and determined by me. Posts should also move the story along, if you are bantering within the party in character that is fine, I can sit here and let it all resolve until I need to push the story along.

Finally be literate, I mean it and if you aren’t able to take 5 minutes and put forth a meaningful reply just stop here. Format your replies in a way that it doesn’t look like 2nd grade english. If you ever need to say anything Out of Character just post:

“OOC: Words.”

Serious Roleplay? Serious… no. I am all for having this devolve into something ridiculous and fun, not to say that it won’t get serious at times and if you try and derail the campaign I won’t take things in my own hands to throw you off the train but I’m not one for needing things to be extremely serious at times, some of these assholes deserve to be called a faggot and kicked in the groin. Roleplay however is necessary, it’s a roleplaying game and it’s more immersive and fun to call that guy a faggot in character, especially for me.

As for derailing, the goal is to get to the end and win. If you don’t get there you lose, so you will want to maybe go off the rails only so far that you can jump back on and get there. Wanton murder of townsfolk will get you arrested, sentenced and executed, AKA you lose.

How will combat work?

Combat is where the game slows down, both in PBP and in face to face games. Essentially here is the idea, I will roll initiative and post that. When everyone has posted an action I will resolve them in order of initiative, however there can be some issues with that… what if the target you are attacking is dead before your attack goes off. I will always logically make you attack the second target or take the best possible course of action for this situation.

I will always throw down a map of the encounter area with all the players positioned on a grid, you can write it however you like:

TheDarkerOne charges at General Cockmonster and makes an attack with his Longsword.

Of course the game has rules, such as swift actions and such so if you wanted to perform something more specific you can write it out as a technical method.

TheDarkerOne takes a 5 foot step towards General Cockmonster and makes a Full-Round attack.

At which point I will write down a reactionary narrative myself. I don’t expect everyone to know the rules so feel free while considering a post to send me a PM or use OOC chat to ask questions or anything else when in combat or before or whenever really. I will be fairly lenient with the rules since nobody here is a power gamer. If you want to just say

Dr Huxley wants to jump in the barrel and hides.

Then I would make the Stealth check, and if the required actions would be too many to take in one round then I would go as far as possible to make it happen.

For consistency’s sake I will keep track of damage, remaining spells, conditions, post health bar numbers and all the other stuff. For Immediate actions that can be taken at anytime, after I make the post say I threw someone over the ledge to their death or drank a potion and you have freeze potion your next reply can be:

As Le Ogre throws West Nile off the cliff I cast Feather fall on him.

At which point I will go back and edit the post, however don’t forget to post your next combat action otherwise you’re slowing shit down. A lot of this will take time to learn and get into the groove of it, but after you do it becomes second nature.

Any questions, concerns and queries can be posted here, player’s will be selected by the following method:

• Player’s who were part of the Nox D&D will be selected first, mainly because I had to stop it all abruptly and I feel bad.
    • Player’s who show more excitement for the game, who seem to want to make a character that can integrate into the world and show an aptitude to roleplay and a general interest to learning the rules.
    • Player’s who aren’t fucking retards.
    • Player’s who will get along with the other player’s, See Rule 3.
    • Please read Rule 3 again.

What resources are available?
    www.d20pfsrd.com - This is almost all the Pathfinder content, 99% of stuff from Paizo is legal. All the Core, Base and Hybrid classes. Ninja, Samurai and Antipaladin are NOT.

Additionally Summoner is banned because the class as it is makes the game take too long, and so is Vivisectionist Alchemist because I don’t want to deal with someone with 6 arms dealing 200 damage a turn.

That being said, Evil is completely allowed if the player who wants to play that alignment is going to play it well and be able to complete the story. It’s not wrong to do bad things for a reason, just know that a Paladin in your group will stop you.

Anything else I can think off I’ll post in this thread, when the game actually starts this thread will get closed and a Game thread where only the players can post will be put up and an Open Discussion thread for all the rest of the crap. The most important thing is to have fun though and if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

• Hey guys, last year I tried running D&D over Roll20 and for a while it was great, but because of work, time constraints and a whole bunch of stuff happening at once I stopped being able to run it. I would love to run it again but I find myself still too constraint in the evenings to run more than an hour or two which is far too little. However considering how much time I have at work to waste just writing away I can easily run a play-by-post forum game.

A Play-by-post is quite different than an active game sessions in a few ways, obviously the first is that things move at a much slower pace. People who will play have to be able to consistently post, I will hold everyone including myself to this and I will attempt to be as consistent in my posting as I can. I usually have the ability to check around 11am-12pm EST first time of the day and throughout the day until 2am. If you know that you cannot be consistent then this is not for you. This isn’t me saying that if you miss a day you’re out, everyone will have days where they can’t get on and obviously there will be odd changes. In that case give a heads up and we can postpone a day.

For those who played D&D and are seeing Pathfinder and saying, “Oh god, I need to learn a new RPG system.” calm down. Pathfinder is practically the exact same system with some minor changes, but to core gameplay it is essentially the same as it runs off the d20 system. The classes are revamped and some new content but overall its the same game, my mastery of the rules has gotten a lot better from playing with my friends on weekends.

Before I address how it’s played and all that let me give you an overview of what I will be running. The adventure is called Rise of the Runelords, it’s a 4-player adventure set in the world of Golarion. Don’t know anything about it? Neither did I when I first started. It’s a 6 part adventure that takes place over 6 books that go from level 1-18.

This adventure actually comes with a Player’s Guide that can give you some insight on the basics, there are other resources that can give you even more ideas and you are more then welcome to PM me at any time and discuss character creation. This one actually has two companions because it has an anniversary edition.

Rise of the Runelords Player Companion’s:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/82ndazilbsjea7o/PZO9000-S%20Rise%20of%20the%20Runelords%20Player%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q21zhnio2qb2y73/PZO1002-PGE%20Rise%20of%20the%20Runelords%20Anniversary%20Edition%20Player%27s%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

For the meantime that’s all I’ll provide, once players are locked in then we can discuss this further.

How will this all work?

Like I said this campaign is for 4 player’s only. No more, and well less means you usually die horrible painful deaths. Most of the management will be done by me, character sheets will be updated by me in the style we did it before and dice rolls will be done by me. Essentially here is an example of what you would do.

Drunkenorc sits down, head in hands, heavily wounded from the massive horde of Kobolds that continue to hunt him down and exhausted from the fight. “Well, friends, looks like we all need a rest. Shall we set up camp for the night?”

Now of course if there is a roll required, say you are talking to somebody and require a Sense Motive roll done to know if he just slipped something into your drink you can state.

I would like to Sense Motive on Faggotface.

At which point my next post would have the results of the roll and the reaction. All rolls will be posted by me, you will be responsible for your character’s reactions and actions but the results will always be posted and determined by me. Posts should also move the story along, if you are bantering within the party in character that is fine, I can sit here and let it all resolve until I need to push the story along.

Finally be literate, I mean it and if you aren’t able to take 5 minutes and put forth a meaningful reply just stop here. Format your replies in a way that it doesn’t look like 2nd grade english. If you ever need to say anything Out of Character just post:

“OOC: Words.”

Serious Roleplay? Serious… no. I am all for having this devolve into something ridiculous and fun, not to say that it won’t get serious at times and if you try and derail the campaign I won’t take things in my own hands to throw you off the train but I’m not one for needing things to be extremely serious at times, some of these assholes deserve to be called a faggot and kicked in the groin. Roleplay however is necessary, it’s a roleplaying game and it’s more immersive and fun to call that guy a faggot in character, especially for me.

As for derailing, the goal is to get to the end and win. If you don’t get there you lose, so you will want to maybe go off the rails only so far that you can jump back on and get there. Wanton murder of townsfolk will get you arrested, sentenced and executed, AKA you lose.

How will combat work?

Combat is where the game slows down, both in PBP and in face to face games. Essentially here is the idea, I will roll initiative and post that. When everyone has posted an action I will resolve them in order of initiative, however there can be some issues with that… what if the target you are attacking is dead before your attack goes off. I will always logically make you attack the second target or take the best possible course of action for this situation.

I will always throw down a map of the encounter area with all the players positioned on a grid, you can write it however you like:

TheDarkerOne charges at General Cockmonster and makes an attack with his Longsword.

Of course the game has rules, such as swift actions and such so if you wanted to perform something more specific you can write it out as a technical method.

TheDarkerOne takes a 5 foot step towards General Cockmonster and makes a Full-Round attack.

At which point I will write down a reactionary narrative myself. I don’t expect everyone to know the rules so feel free while considering a post to send me a PM or use OOC chat to ask questions or anything else when in combat or before or whenever really. I will be fairly lenient with the rules since nobody here is a power gamer. If you want to just say

Dr Huxley wants to jump in the barrel and hides.

Then I would make the Stealth check, and if the required actions would be too many to take in one round then I would go as far as possible to make it happen.

For consistency’s sake I will keep track of damage, remaining spells, conditions, post health bar numbers and all the other stuff. For Immediate actions that can be taken at anytime, after I make the post say I threw someone over the ledge to their death or drank a potion and you have freeze potion your next reply can be:

As Le Ogre throws West Nile off the cliff I cast Feather fall on him.

At which point I will go back and edit the post, however don’t forget to post your next combat action otherwise you’re slowing shit down. A lot of this will take time to learn and get into the groove of it, but after you do it becomes second nature.

Any questions, concerns and queries can be posted here, player’s will be selected by the following method:

• Player’s who were part of the Nox D&D will be selected first, mainly because I had to stop it all abruptly and I feel bad.
    • Player’s who show more excitement for the game, who seem to want to make a character that can integrate into the world and show an aptitude to roleplay and a general interest to learning the rules.
    • Player’s who aren’t fucking retards.
    • Player’s who will get along with the other player’s, See Rule 3.
    • Please read Rule 3 again.

What resources are available?
    www.d20pfsrd.com - This is almost all the Pathfinder content, 99% of stuff from Paizo is legal. All the Core, Base and Hybrid classes. Ninja, Samurai and Antipaladin are NOT.

Additionally Summoner is banned because the class as it is makes the game take too long, and so is Vivisectionist Alchemist because I don’t want to deal with someone with 6 arms dealing 200 damage a turn.

That being said, Evil is completely allowed if the player who wants to play that alignment is going to play it well and be able to complete the story. It’s not wrong to do bad things for a reason, just know that a Paladin in your group will stop you.

Anything else I can think off I’ll post in this thread, when the game actually starts this thread will get closed and a Game thread where only the players can post will be put up and an Open Discussion thread for all the rest of the crap. The most important thing is to have fun though and if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

• Sure I wouldn’t mind trying it out, though I don’t think I would be ready to play until I finish getting my computer fixed, which hopefully will be finished by the end of this week (much easier to keep track of multiple tabs for me to learn shit on a computer rather than on a phone).  I will be disappoint if there isn’t any unicorn kobald cameos.

• Are you going to update and post new maps in every reactionary post during the combat phase or will there be a single post with the map that will just get edited a lot? Also, I express interest in playing again.

• I’ll give it a shot.

I’ll also try and make visual maps using a game I found recently, Tabletop Simulator. These will be 3D maps and not the 2d things you remember from Roll20. If you own TableTopSim yourself I’ll also post a link to the save file whenever a significant change happens, though it shouldn’t be necessary since I can just take screenshots of anything you ask.

Here’s a teaser picture.

• @SoloTredici:

Are you going to update and post new maps in every reactionary post during the combat phase or will there be a single post with the map that will just get edited a lot? Also, I express interest in playing again.

The maps will be updated on my combat update with the new positions of each player, the grid itself will be denoted like a Chess map, with Letters on one side and Numbers on the other so you can be specific to where you want to move. Each map will update the players new location on the map.

Commandhat can also post some nice 3D maps for immersion and a different perspective.

Here’s an example of an encounter map sans players:

• Will Bear be a playable race?

• I allow Core Races, other races are alright if the reason for the character’s existence and being there makes sense. If you really want to be a bear-person im sure we can sit down and get one written.

• “TheDarkerOne throws Dr. Huxley at the goblin.”

• Using Tabletop Simulator would probably be one of the easier options for you, not sure how in depth it allows you to make your games but all the room pieces snap together and creating any shape of room you like isn’t too hard.

Never played D&D but if you use Tabletop Sim I’d maybe be willing to give it a go with you guys and if we get bored we can flip the table and play poker.

• You can also make clever use of certain dungeon tiles to make actual buildings.

• Double reply since I can’t edit:

• I did active sessions on Roll20 before, my schedule won’t work with active games so I am doing a Play by post.

• and my axe

• Where are all the kobolds?

• Just keep in mind this is an adventure for 4 players. The Kobolds are in another campaign! I want to get the players who will be the most active so I’m going to take the next handful of days to get a hold of those interested and see whom I think will be able to be. If you don’t get to play this time and we ever do another one I’ll give those players precedence.

• Do you want to try to link in the badge idea that you had for the last campaigns, or would that not really work?

• I was just going to open up all official content to
    The players from the start. As much as I like incremental content release through progress it would take forever to get anything.

• I remember doing a test run for this with Nightmare Huxley and Numbers. I rolled a nat 20 on a fort save to resist goblin dog disease and developed immunity to it. You guys are going to enjoy this campaign.

@Rexen:

“TheDarkerOne throws Dr. Huxley at the goblin.”

And Huxley rolling a nat 20 on an evasion roll so he did a backflip back in time when I tried to grab him and ended up landing in my hands.

• Alright so I think this first run will be Captainzaku, TheDarkerOne, Rexen, Commandhat and Solotedici. If anyone drops out I can replace them with another though I’d rather that not happen. For the meantime I’ll only be doing one group, maybe I can run another one on the side though I’ll only be doing one adventure path at a time.

Above folks, I want to do a get-together to make characters as a group on sunday if possible. Please post your availability, this will be the only time I want everyone together on mumble, just to make sure everyone is going in the right direction.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.