FPS Drop related to only ZS

• When playing zombie survival my fps drops to low levels, it’s an issue relating to only zs, no other game mode. This problem has become a major issue when playing, it keeps me from helping the team and defending the cade. When ever I shoot with a gun my games fps drops severely, it seems like the game is purposely targeting me as when I shoot at a zombie not only does the games fps drop but it actually freezes for a moment, said moment varies depending on how many people are in game. Lately its only gotten worse, i’ve died multiple times from freezing the second I shoot. There’s not much I can do about the problem, there’s nothing wrong with my computer or Gmod, its the game modes fault. All I can be sure of that it’s either the blood particles or shooting itself that’s causing the problem.

I would very much enjoy if anyone could help me through, I’ve asked a couple people and tried many solutions to no avail.

• When playing zombie survival my fps drops to low levels, it’s an issue relating to only zs, no other game mode. This problem has become a major issue when playing, it keeps me from helping the team and defending the cade. When ever I shoot with a gun my games fps drops severely, it seems like the game is purposely targeting me as when I shoot at a zombie not only does the games fps drop but it actually freezes for a moment, said moment varies depending on how many people are in game. Lately its only gotten worse, i’ve died multiple times from freezing the second I shoot. There’s not much I can do about the problem, there’s nothing wrong with my computer or Gmod, its the game modes fault. All I can be sure of that it’s either the blood particles or shooting itself that’s causing the problem.

I would very much enjoy if anyone could help me through, I’ve asked a couple people and tried many solutions to no avail.

• post computer specs. Post other information to help visualize your issue. Is the fps drop visible in net_graph 1? Does the issue start as soon as you join the game or happens after playing for a while? Any specific events going on when you lag or does it happen when you are completely alone in a corner of a map? Does this happen with any weapon, including melee? Does it only happen when it actually hits a zombie? What happens when you see someone else shooting a zombie? How was it like before its gotten worse, and how recently? Try playing EFT with a lot of players and look if similar lag happens.
    I’ve noticed blood splashes from zombies stacked in one spot significantly reduces fps, such as infront of the barricade. Try r_cleardecals in console when it lags.

Gmod is notorious for being single threaded and cpu heavy. Put windows task manager always on top in performance tab, watch the CPU Usage History while playing. Are one of the cores always maxed out?
    Try disabling hats in the menu. CPU load gets significantly higher with higher playercount in the server.

You can also check GPU load using something like gpu-z, though if you have anything made after 2010 its probably not the cause.

Check the temperature of your computer during lag for possible heat throttling. Also check power management options if laptop. Many OEM laptops are set to throttle to conserve power.
    You can do this by using CPU-z and looking to see if the core speed stays at the maximum.

Try closing everything nonessential in the background, especially internet browsers.

Try reducing video settings to all low except resolution and texture.

Try the test again in singleplayer with bots or ask someone to 1v1. Do isolated tests and try to single out the actual cause.

Try unmounting every game gmod loads textures from, notably css for guns. Verify cache integrity of gmod and css through steam.

Try reinstalling. Try defragmenting.

• I haven’t been trying to trace the origin of the fps lag in ZS very well but Source has great profiling tools for perfomance, if you are hosting your own server you can use the +showbudget console command to list what exactly is eating your perf

Unscientifically I’ve noticed that the nox chatbox and most of the things that would use luapaint eats a lot of perfomance

Also what the fuck Sun

• Another note, the problems began to occur during or around spring, zs was always fine to play before then.

• @Jacky:

Another note, the problems began to occur during or around spring, zs was always fine to play before then.

I second this, around the same time I also noticed a big drop in FPS (8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, I5 2500k Overclocked + watercooled, GTX 570). My PC used to munch ZS but not so much recently.

• A question for someone who knows old Gmod updates: Was Gmod ever at one point multi-core enabled? Or was it always running with one core, regardless of how many cores your CPU had?

• Rendering was multithreaded which increased FPS from 30 to 300 via black magic. Should be priority #1 but too busy with rust.

• Does that mean that my 8 core monster will no longer be worth anything when it comes to zs?

• Unless you’re using an integrated graphics card it doesn’t matter.

• Well fuck me with a useless 2000 dollar computer, I can’t play zs at manageable fps then.

• Im using pentium g3258 I got for 60 dollars at microcenter. 40 dollar bundled motherboard, and an ancient HD 6950(6970) sold for 80 dollars at newegg. stock coolers. With rollover parts and a new case, its worth less than 400.
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43109960991399397/899A19157DC4F15B7815C26E9B2F2F43F4BB0407/
    screenshot taken two days ago.

Lowest fps I’ve seen was about 60 fps with 70+ players.

Yes, gmod shits on your computer, but black magic fps is still possible if you balance your hardware.
    I keep seeing people struggle trying to play with 800x600 or lowest graphics. Don’t struggle
    Unless jets willing to dig through old code to do tedious optimizations, you’ll have to find clientside tweaks.

I made a wall of text suggestions but it really boils down to shit cpu. If overclock isn’t possible, all you need is a computer made after 2009 to scrap, 100 dollars for new cpu/motherboard, and an optional new case. I’ll try to help if anyone wants, it would be ridiculous if people cant play a game from ten years ago because their computer can’t handle it.

Sam, whats wrong with helping a zeldafan in need.

• 60fps with 70 people on screen. The lie of the century.

• Will post proof if the server ever gets there again. To clarify though 70 people were in the server, not all in the same room

• Was it recent, and also, if you’re only getting 60 fps with, let’s say, 20 people in a room, you’re not a computer building wizard.  There is still an actual issue and Jacky does have a very balanced computer setup.

I’ve noticed some of the lag occurs with all the various player models rendering on screen with various props and shaders.  Some of these characters have addons with sprites.  Typically, it’s a falloff point for performance in source when it comes to sprites.  If you pile smoke into a map in such a way, you can still cap near the 297 fps mark or whatever it is.  Having them all on the screen at once doesn’t seem to be the issue.  Moving them a couple units closer to where they overlap several times is where you get shit on.  I’ve had noticeably less lag at some points with players being completely visible instead of transparent.  Whatever may have happened in Spring may or may not be the doing of garrysmod updates or zs updates, but it exacerbated the already buggy  source issues with rendering just about anything complex.

This issue was already there though, and the issue they speak of may be something completely different.

BTW:  17 fps with 7X players in a room with no walls separating us. 4X fps looking into the one side with 30 players, 2X looking into the opposite side, and shitty 17 fps looking at everyone lined up and transparent to varying degrees.

FX-8320 stock
    8 GB ram
    GTX 760 OC
    10K 160GB Velociraptor HDD from 2007

• Im not here to claim some sort of superiority. I merely showed a counterexample because I didn’t notice any significant performance change in the time Jacky mentioned, and I haven’t seen anyone complain about this problem before this post, so I suggested some things he could try on his side. Maybe you talked to him separately but Jacky hasn’t posted enough information for me to conclude that he has a very balanced computer setup, nor did I say anything about 20 people in a room. I remembered a lot of people suffered from general performance issue long before the time in question, so I generalized the issue to anyone else having similar problems.

With that said Jacky hasn’t said anything about my ‘have you restarted your computer’ tier suggestions, so I assume hes tried everything he can.
    I shared what I learned from solving similar issues with my friends, I don’t know where your hostility is coming from.

• There’s not much hostility in saying you’re not a computer building wizard, unless, of course, you think you are.  The statement you made kind of came off as “I’m not having problems, because I can balance better.”  Also, I put a decent number of players given the specifications of your computer.  Me taking a guess should not have offended you.  Was I in the ballpark?  I didn’t want you to dodge around the point being made.  I want you to correct me on how many people were visible with rough estimate of course, instead of playing the  “you don’t know the facts” game when I throw a random number.  It helps in troubleshooting.

Also, all the computing capability in the world means shit with the way the Source engine works, balanced or not.

As for the rest of my previous post, it had nothing to do with you.

Edit:  I somehow mistook Mattferrit’s post for Jacky’s, lol

• @Sun:

but it really boils down to shit cpu.

lol

• @ChiRaeDisk:

garbage

Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you going on about.

• If it’s only when you/other people fire its probably a sound problem.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.