A Question/Request About Bosses and Hammer

• I have noticed that bosses only seem to spawn when there is not any kind of entity that will set the waves to last forever.

So, basically, objective maps.

If you have an entity that will eventually give you infinite waves at a certain point (like most objective maps), then bosses will never spawn. However, if you have the default 6 waves (or maybe more/less, I have not tested it), bosses will spawn. I was hoping if it would be possible to enable/force boss spawning via entity, or if there already is, awesome. Mind telling me?

I do not want to resort to having a kind of world-selection *, but I agree that that is plausible.

*-Open seven doors, each instantly transforming a player into the boss based on which one they walk into, then disabling after the first use until later

TL;DR - Create an entity that will enable or disable boss spawning instead of having it decided upon logic_waves
    (or just tell me if there is another way to do it)

• I have noticed that bosses only seem to spawn when there is not any kind of entity that will set the waves to last forever.

So, basically, objective maps.

If you have an entity that will eventually give you infinite waves at a certain point (like most objective maps), then bosses will never spawn. However, if you have the default 6 waves (or maybe more/less, I have not tested it), bosses will spawn. I was hoping if it would be possible to enable/force boss spawning via entity, or if there already is, awesome. Mind telling me?

I do not want to resort to having a kind of world-selection *, but I agree that that is plausible.

*-Open seven doors, each instantly transforming a player into the boss based on which one they walk into, then disabling after the first use until later

TL;DR - Create an entity that will enable or disable boss spawning instead of having it decided upon logic_waves
    (or just tell me if there is another way to do it)

• Administrators

They just don’t spawn on objective maps because the assumption is there are no waves.

• @JetBoom:

They just don’t spawn on objective maps because the assumption is there are no waves.

I should have been more specific.

The boss normally spawns 10 seconds before the next wave begins (as some objective maps have that first wave of sitting at spawn and surviving), but this does not seem to happen if the next wave is, well, not a wave. I figured that as long as the countdown goes down and there are 10 people, a boss would spawn.

However, it seems that bosses will spawn every “normal” wave before that… huh. This, I did not know.

Though probably not used often, I suppose such an entity might be nice on special maps. Oh well.

• trigger_zombieclass.

• @Pufulet:

trigger_zombieclass.

I do not want to resort to having a kind of world-selection * …

cough

• @Pufulet:

trigger_zombieclass.

cough boss zombie army cough

• Game Admins

The problem here is that boss zombies are a dynamic of the wave system. You can’t disable waves and expect them to work as you intend, because there’s no trigger mechanism to either spawn the highest scoring zombie as a boss or to know if spawning a boss at that point is even valid.

Perhaps the trigger_zombieclass entity can be modified to change the !caller to their menu-chosen boss zombie. But until then you’ll have to make do with clever use of map logic and trigger_zombieclass.

• @Benjy:

Perhaps the trigger_zombieclass entity can be modified to change the !caller to their menu-chosen boss zombie.

The only problem I have with a world-selection way such as this is that I am so stuck with the idea that the player who does the most damage should be the boss.

But yeah, if no other way, then a world-selection is good enough, I suppose.

• Game Admins

The latest GIT has a new brush based entity called trigger_bossclass which turns the zombie who enters the volume into their chosen boss class. The latest FGD contains this entity too.

It contains an input “spawnboss” which when called turns the zombie with the most damage into the boss.

• @Benjy:

The latest GIT has a new brush based entity called trigger_bossclass which turns the zombie who enters the volume into their chosen boss class. The latest FGD contains this entity too.

It contains an input “spawnboss” which when called turns the zombie with the most damage into the boss.

Super awesome. I can see this having potential on objective maps. Definitely updating a few maps with this.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.