SVN -> GIT migration

• Starting now, SVN repos will start to be moved from SVN to GIT via http://www.github.com/jetboom
    GIT migration will complete on October 1st, 2014. The SVN and GIT repos will then be simultaneously updated.
    The SVN server will no longer be available starting October 30th, 2014.

The decision to move was for ease of use for end users and server operators, plus the ability for people to make pull requests and issues. Sourcetree or Github’s own app can be used to clone (GIT equivalent of SVN checkout). You can also simply download the head revision as a ZIP archive from the github page.

• Starting now, SVN repos will start to be moved from SVN to GIT via http://www.github.com/jetboom
    GIT migration will complete on October 1st, 2014. The SVN and GIT repos will then be simultaneously updated.
    The SVN server will no longer be available starting October 30th, 2014.

The decision to move was for ease of use for end users and server operators, plus the ability for people to make pull requests and issues. Sourcetree or Github’s own app can be used to clone (GIT equivalent of SVN checkout). You can also simply download the head revision as a ZIP archive from the github page.

• @JetBoom:

There is also TortoiseGIT.

I strongly recommend Github’s own client or Sourcetree for anything Git related on Windows, TortoiseGit tries to mimic how TortoiseSVN works for users wanting to transition but it quickly becomes a huge hack for anyone managing things with it (Giving that they haven’t radically changed it)

• Just download Cygwin; all the UI-based Git clients [i’ve tried] are clunky at best.

• @Samuel:

I strongly recommend Github’s own client or Sourcetree for anything Git related on Windows, TortoiseGit tries to mimic how TortoiseSVN works for users wanting to transition but it quickly becomes a huge hack for anyone managing things with it (Giving that they haven’t radically changed it)

If everything followed your trail of thought people would get nowhere.

This is not the point. The point is that the most simple way for gmod server owners would be to use a simple tool like TortoiseGIT where they can right click on a folder and checkout. They’re not going to submit pull requests or dive into development with git, they just want to keep their version up to date.

• I realize that, specially because I’ve used TortoiseGit before when I was just fetching some repositories without managing anything, it’s not only about maintaining code or not, if we’re talking about simplicity you can literally drag and drop the repository directory into Github for Windows and it would get the most up to date branch and won’t break again when you’re trying to git fetch

• Everything that was up on SVN to the public should be on the github page now.

• SVN is now shut down.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.