Volunteers wanted for a few small jobs

• One of these is a joke (probably).

Map Manager:

• Manages the map list for the gmod servers.
    • Uploads new maps and map versions. Uploads properly compressed versions to the heavy subdomain.
    • Updates and uploads the map list accordingly.
    • Must have an extremely keen sense for map quality and the ability to test maps (running checks for secret rooms, teleporters, etc.). Using entspy to convert maps without breaking checksum is a plus.
    • Must be a trustworthy member of the community.

Emoter Person:

• Checks uploaded emotes once a day. Approves / rejects based on established criteria. Nothing else.

Coder:

• Incredible coder working for nothing but their passion for a particular game(mode).
    • Amazing programming skills. Able to create their own algorithms, procedural generation, full knowledge of the source engine.
    • Should be able to program something in 1/2 the amount of ops and 1/10 the amount of lines as the next guy.

• One of these is a joke (probably).

Map Manager:

• Uploads new maps and map versions. Uploads properly compressed versions to the heavy subdomain.
    • Must have an extremely keen sense for map quality and the ability to test maps (running checks for secret rooms, teleporters, etc.). Using entspy to convert maps without breaking checksum is a plus.

Emoter Person:

• Checks uploaded emotes once a day. Approves / rejects based on established criteria. Nothing else.

Coder:

• Incredible coder working for nothing but their passion for a particular game(mode).
    • Amazing programming skills. Able to create their own algorithms, procedural generation, full knowledge of the source engine.
    • Should be able to program something in 1/2 the amount of ops and 1/10 the amount of lines as the next guy.

• @JetBoom:

Map Manager:

Sure

@JetBoom:

Emoter Person:

Sure

• I can help with checking emotes daily.

• I don’t know if I could be trusted with the map list :P.  I might set the server restart map to final destination or something quicker than zs_mall.  8) Mall is overplayed and having something that ends quickly allows the players to choose what’s up next so they aren’t trapped in a shitty mall for half an hour.  That being said, it isn’t my server to fuck around with on a whim so I probably wouldn’t change anything without permission.

Half the maps on the server would need updating in my opinion due to their old source looking blocky-ness and half-assed lightmaps with inadequate props for the locations needed to cade.

I’m not sure about properly compressed…  .bz2?  I imagine you mean with all the extra textures and models for maps.

I’ve tested maps before.  I was part of the community testing team for the Overwatch mod.  I had my map tested along with having others tested for playability and flow (Of course we had to setup ai nodes and triggers up the ass for the game to work).

As for entspy, I haven’t used it before, but I know how.  I know it isn’t harder to use than propper(I know they’re not the same thing) at this point.

If I’m trustworthy is up for grabs really.  I wouldn’t know if you trusted me or not.

• All the custom models and textures should already be packed with the BSP, bz2 is used for the heavy so players don’t have to download the full file size.

A while ago, I suggested someone such as Box or Benjy ought to have FTP access so we could have another person managing maps. I often test maps with Box so I can get his opinion on whether or not if a map is ready to be uploaded to the server. I made changes to Pirates with EntSpy and it can be uploaded by whoever becomes the new map manager.

• Then having the tasks still split between you guys sounds like the best course of action to me.

• Volunteering if you want more than one person checking the emoter as backup.

• @JetBoom:

gay shit

uhhhhh where is the memelord position? i’d like to apply for it

• but are you a trustworthy enough member of this community to be a memelord

• my first epic meme as the official NoXiousNet memelord:

behold, le monkey dickface http://i.imgur.com/CtAVPKV.png

• @JetBoom:

Coder:

I can code a portal gun in 10 different languages including LabVIEW™ and German.

• What became of this?

• I’ll get around to it eventually.

• I don’t suppose you still have the Chess Master tournament costumes on your to do list?

• Not really.

Admins/people with special permissions can now edit the map list freely. FTP accounts with map directory writing are available. Sent you one, Benjy and Box.

• Would this include changing the minimum player limits, because a lot of RTP map player limits are set wrong (read: needing a minimum player count for a small map) and a few wouldn’t really need them?

• Min player is part of the map list, yes.

http://noxiousnet.com/gmodmaplist/
    That’s a read-only version of the map list for anyone interested.

• @commandhat:

Would this include changing the minimum player limits, because a lot of RTP map player limits are set wrong (read: needing a minimum player count for a small map) and a few wouldn’t really need them?

Which maps were you thinking of specifically? I’ve removed Blizzard’s restrictions because it’s relatively small and in my opinion a good introductory map.

• @Benjy:

Which maps were you thinking of specifically? I’ve removed Blizzard’s restrictions because it’s relatively small and in my opinion a good introductory map.

Mount Ash should be 8 players.
    BigDesert2 should be 24 players.
    River should either have its restriction removed or have a minimum of 6. Reason being: It’s a good crafter introduction map, mana obelisks spread everywhere. It’s also relatively small, needing about as much walking time to cap as Blizzard.
    Lava Wars should be 12 players.
    Broadside should have a minimum of 8.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.