[ZS] Medical Station: Craft Medkit + Message Beacon

• I’m surprised nothing like this has been formally suggested before.

The Medical Station is a low-durability deployable formed by crafting a Medkit and Message Beacon.  Long-pressing the +USE key on a medstation heals the user like a wall HEV, but at a much slower rate for gameplay balance, which is further reduced in speed with multiple people. It follows the same deployment validity as a message beacon (ceiling and walls okay) but with an increased radius detecting other already deployed medstations.

Healing draws from a limited medical supply that must be refilled, like turrets, by short-pressing the USE key (-USE). The owner of a medstation receives points for heals through their station at half the amount of a medkit. Like turrets, anyone can refill a medstation, and this gives points at a ratio half that of the medkit’s. Unlike turrets, new medstations start out with no ammo already within them.

my shitty texture example of what it could look like

In my view, this addresses multiple issues:

• Instead of being forced to wait for a medic to heal them, players can heal at the team’s medstation under their own agency.

• The medstation indirectly creates team organization by letting medics more easily find injured players (who are going to be near a medstation).

• Buying standalone med power from the point shop is given a better incentive by letting an injured player immediately make use of it.

• When medpower drops from a dead player, looters without any intention of giving it to a medic will rush to it, effectively removing from a round and wasting it. Now, a medstation present means these players can cash in the medsupply for points and then benefit the team.

• The message beacon is currently underused, so removing its isolation from the crafting tree will help its relevancy.

The medstation is supposed to be a situational sidegrade, one-per-cade type of deployable, and isn’t supposed to dramatically change the traditional medic system at all. There’s a point to making sure no one else already has a med station before rushing through worth checkout:

• The active style of using a medkit on players directly will still give better points to medpower used, and faster, since the station gives up speed and efficiency for organization and convenience.

• The medkit is objectively better at healing players that are running around outside of the cade. The medical beacon is vulnerable and easily destroyed if placed outside.

• The person who crafts their medkit into a medstation gives up their ability to get free medpower from resupply. Everyone who still has one will be able to resupply their medkit freely, and also be able to refill the medstation with surplus power if the team is healthy.

This isn’t supposed to fight or take over the the role that map-placed health HEVs already play. These are limited in the health they can administer and can’t fulfill a team’s needs by themselves, nor do they interact with the economy of the human team directly like the med station does. They’re just there as slight boosts, nothing more.

If you don’t like the idea of other people getting to use your medpower, you still get refilling points and there’s nothing stopping you from finding a medic to give to directly.

• I’m surprised nothing like this has been formally suggested before.

The Medical Station is a low-durability deployable formed by crafting a Medkit and Message Beacon.  Long-pressing the +USE key on a medstation heals the user like a wall HEV, but at a much slower rate for gameplay balance, which is further reduced in speed with multiple people. It follows the same deployment validity as a message beacon (ceiling and walls okay) but with an increased radius detecting other already deployed medstations.

Healing draws from a limited medical supply that must be refilled, like turrets, by short-pressing the USE key (-USE). The owner of a medstation receives points for heals through their station at half the amount of a medkit. Like turrets, anyone can refill a medstation, and this gives points at a ratio half that of the medkit’s. Unlike turrets, new medstations start out with no ammo already within them.

my shitty texture example of what it could look like

In my view, this addresses multiple issues:

• Instead of being forced to wait for a medic to heal them, players can heal at the team’s medstation under their own agency.

• The medstation indirectly creates team organization by letting medics more easily find injured players (who are going to be near a medstation).

• Buying standalone med power from the point shop is given a better incentive by letting an injured player immediately make use of it.

• When medpower drops from a dead player, looters without any intention of giving it to a medic will rush to it, effectively removing from a round and wasting it. Now, a medstation present means these players can cash in the medsupply for points and then benefit the team.

• The message beacon is currently underused, so removing its isolation from the crafting tree will help its relevancy.

The medstation is supposed to be a situational sidegrade, one-per-cade type of deployable, and isn’t supposed to dramatically change the traditional medic system at all. There’s a point to making sure no one else already has a med station before rushing through worth checkout:

• The active style of using a medkit on players directly will still give better points to medpower used, and faster, since the station gives up speed and efficiency for organization and convenience.

• The medkit is objectively better at healing players that are running around outside of the cade. The medical beacon is vulnerable and easily destroyed if placed outside.

• The person who crafts their medkit into a medstation gives up their ability to get free medpower from resupply. Everyone who still has one will be able to resupply their medkit freely, and also be able to refill the medstation with surplus power if the team is healthy.

This isn’t supposed to fight or take over the the role that map-placed health HEVs already play. These are limited in the health they can administer and can’t fulfill a team’s needs by themselves, nor do they interact with the economy of the human team directly like the med station does. They’re just there as slight boosts, nothing more.

If you don’t like the idea of other people getting to use your medpower, you still get refilling points and there’s nothing stopping you from finding a medic to give to directly.

• It’s an okay idea,  maybe a little forceful on devaluing the amount of points you earn. Healing and getting your points back to continue your role as a medic is a little hard as it is.

Having said that,  I don’t want to see this implemented because it turns ZS just that little more passive. I would like to think ZS players would rather put the effort in to get a much better return on their spend,  in this case healing manually.

• Think of this as being close to a resupply and arsenal, which become redundant when there’s more than one around.

For the majority of competitively-inclined medkit players in a round this isn’t going to change anything about how they heal people, asides from it indirectly now being easier to find injured players.

It’s funny that you said that bit about playing passively. Part of the reason I conceived of this was that I wanted combat players to have some sort of entity to actively interact with to get health, as opposed to waiting around to get healed hoping to be noticed. This takes the passive aspect out of being healed, and facilitates the most frustrating parts of playing medic.

And the medical station has the potential to be a points machine like the resupply and arsenal are. If there’s properly only one medstation in a cade like there’s supposed to be, that owner actually can get a ton of points because the people who are refilling the medstation and then healing from it are being counted as being healed by the owner as well. That and JetBoom’s general philosophy towards getting points are why I was so conservative with suggesting the ratios.

EDIT: Now that I think about it this might be better off as a separate worth item.

• So how about a medic beacon that says “the doctor is in” whenever a nearby player has their medpack equipped and charged. It could also give a small non-stacking charge time reduction buff to all nearby medics. Medics cant just go afk and rack up points, but it helps players know when and where the healing is.

• @Pseudohorse:

So how about a medic beacon that says “the doctor is in” whenever a nearby player has their medpack equipped and charged. It could also give a small non-stacking charge time reduction buff to all nearby medics. Medics cant just go afk and rack up points, but it helps players know when and where the healing is.

Or just look for a guy with a medkit in his hands.

• Good luck getting his attention when you’re caded in a bathroom and there are eight other people with less than 100% life all stacked on top of you.

• I don’t really want to make healing other players automatic.

• Like I said, the idea is that it supplements traditional medics as opposed to replacing them.

It’s ultimately your gamemode though.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.