What happened?

• What happened to the Nox Gmod servers? The question hit me when i found myself having more fun trolling rp servers than actually playing any nox server.
    The only one that has people playing is zs, granted that has always been the norm, though the main problem is that it is only averaging around 30-40 plays max at peak hours. So what is the problem?

Is it the maps?
    The game modes?
    The lack of admins/sub-admins/moderators?
    The admins/sub-admins/moderators themselves?
    The community all together?

I ask you all to share your opinions/ideas/solution in this discussion regarding this ordeal.

• What happened to the Nox Gmod servers? The question hit me when i found myself having more fun trolling rp servers than actually playing any nox server.
    The only one that has people playing is zs, granted that has always been the norm, though the main problem is that it is only averaging around 30-40 plays max at peak hours. So what is the problem?

Is it the maps?
    The game modes?
    The lack of admins/sub-admins/moderators?
    The admins/sub-admins/moderators themselves?
    The community all together?

I ask you all to share your opinions/ideas/solution in this discussion regarding this ordeal.

• Gmod is old and dying. I always wonder if /when episode3/HL3 is released , that it will stimulate the gmod community out of the norm a bit. We can only dream though….

• Too many kiddies on for summer that haven’t gotten to the point in school where they need to buckle up and study.  If it was zs regulars on both teams, there would be a challenge if their weren’t 50 people playing at once.  A modest 30-40 always seemed like the best fun to me.  Give it some time and come back.

We also haven’t had any crazy unique maps introduced in a while.  I’m not saying people are fucking around, but some people are sick of playing the same(vast) collection of blocky house maps.  I see box and others detpack themselves early game or just plain quit on some maps that are too boring.  Wasn’t Jet working on a sigil update to get people out of the cade at some point?  The game, as is, is predictable and repetitive.  A bit of random consequence or reward for either side in some waves, similar to a modifier or weird effect, would bring that bit of spontaneity that people crave.

• more maps more mappers more submodes

escape objective and standard run thin think up of more modes

• NoX is not the only GMOD community, nor the friendliest. It is no longer the only one to offer very unique versions of game modes such as ZS or RTP.

Plus the larger the variety of servers and game types grows, the more oblivious new players will become to anything other than RP and TTT.

• Every time the sandbox server would crash, Jetboom had to reset the server manually.

Do you really want him to do that over and over again?

• Banned

The only interesting thing in ZS in my opinion is the chatbox (ZS is super boring) and no one plays on the other servers.

• @Remnic:

Every time the sandbox server would crash, Jetboom had to reset the server manually.

We could always add fix up eventadmin.php but that’s not the main problem with sandbox.

• -ZS is getting incredibly old because no new maps or game variations are ever released and all new players pretty much end up going to one of the other servers by HG or whatever.
    -RTP, our most unique game mode, is in desperate need of major, major updates which we have discussed extensively but still haven’t seen any progress.
    -The culture of hostility towards people on the servers is completely out of control, especially given the fact that we’re struggling for players. Call me a social justice warrior if you want but harassing females, non-whites or even just new players is a serious turn off to them and other people on the server.
    -MPTV, AS:S, etc. still have incredible potential as game modes but they never get major updates, which is partially because there isn’t a dedicated group of people to work on them.

These issues can probably be fixed given enough time and effort, but the more worrying problem is simply that Gmod is not what it used to be. Garry barely gives a shit anymore and we still don’t have Half Life 3 so interest in experimenting with the source engine is at rock bottom.

• @StratocasterTB:

-The culture of hostility towards people on the servers is completely out of control, especially given the fact that we’re struggling for players. Call me a social justice warrior if you want but harassing females, non-whites or even just new players is a serious turn off to them and other people on the server.

This is probably the main reason. I can’t play a single round of ZS without having at least ten people yell nigger or faggot at each other, not to mention what happens if a new player makes a small mistake. Older members might not take jokes about jews and black people seriously, but new players haven’t been around for long enough to understand this type of humor.

Those who do stick around for longer ultimately adopt this type of behaviour from some of the older members and just continue the endless cycle.

• @StratocasterTB:

While I believe that people should be allowed to say whatever they want, I’d say that this is probably a large part of it. The elitism is seriously bad as well. Perhaps if there was a small declaration of rules on the loading screen? It might help avoid having people make mistakes like this and this, where they thought that what people were doing was against the rules.

• @Pseudohorse:

I’d say that this is probably a large part of it. The elitism is seriously bad as well.

I’ve been away for a while, alright. Follow my lead.

• @StratocasterTB:

So I’m not the only one seeing the new kiddies trying to be edgy by imitating the regulars?  It’s fucking hilarious.  There are at least 3 Azrius clones on the server at any given moment trying to get in the last word no matter how fucking stupid it is.  Azrius isn’t even that annoying when he tries to be; he’s even funny sometimes.  (abandoned mall still sucks ass to play every server restart)

No one wants to see a rule for “respect other players,” but I wonder sometimes how the server will handle the next generation of people shouting, “shut up you fucking stupid fag” every time someone gives a good bit of advice on how to cade.  I think we’ve even seen people attempt to blend in to the forums by talking like that in half their posts.

• Trend. Donator bonuses. Casual.

• Banned

@ChiRaeDisk:

No one wants to see a rule for “respect other players,” but I wonder sometimes how the server will handle the next generation of people shouting, “shut up you fucking stupid fag” every time someone gives a good bit of advice on how to cade.  I think we’ve even seen people attempt to blend in to the forums by talking like that in half their posts.

server needs to be more christian

• Problem is, a lot of gmod users like what’s familiar to them and don’t want to try new things. This means very little people outside of Nox give stuff like RTP or AS:S a chance, especially with the way the gmod browser works in that gamemodes with the most players are at the top

Most randomers don’t want to join servers with no one on it, so you’ll probably need a few Nox regulars to hop on servers to get them populated first, which I’ve seen before with TTT/Deathrun/etc

As for ZS, more maps are always nice but no one ever knows where to cade on them, so it usually leads to very quick games. I was going to suggestion maybe adding rtv since some maps feel draggy/tedious but you know that’ll get used by whiny zombies as soon as they die. New stuff would be nice, maybe expand on the crafting system?

• gmod was cool years ago. although the game modes have evolved, gmod hasn’t. Meanwhile, engines (except source) have been improving, churning out games that have better performance, graphics, and a wider array of features than can exist on the version of source that gmod runs on.

my hope is that gabe will give us a new, incredible source engine, which we can start using to make games that are up-to-date again. but that won’t happen, so have fun.

• @StratocasterTB:

NoX’s characterization in this regard is noticeably different than what it was a few years ago primarily because fewer regulars are on at any given moment than before. It’s also up in the air as to exactly what effect it has on playercount.

@Niandra:

Problem is, a lot of gmod users like what’s familiar to them and don’t want to try new things. This means very little people outside of Nox give stuff like RTP or AS:S a chance, especially with the way the gmod browser works in that gamemodes with the most players are at the top

The notion that old players are currently responsible for populating AS:S and, to a lesser extent, RTP, is not correct. The majority of the time, play there is initiated by a few random players who evidently enjoy fucking around on an empty server for reasons unfathomable.

The core NoX playerbase isn’t capable of shouldering the hard population work by itself anymore. People have college, lives, or more riveting things to invest their NEET hours into.

@God-King:

more maps more mappers more submodes

escape objective and standard run thin think up of more modes

This will do the trick, I think. New gameplay and content provides the strongest incentive for players to be drawn in over any other factor mentioned in this thread. The point of a game is the game.

Furthermore, I suggest keeping the server more publishes ahead of what is in the official release to generate interest. The instant these become available elsewhere people will go back to the communities or virtual goodies they’ve already invested into, as opposed to acclimating to NoX culture and starting over again. I’ve heard this type of account firsthand countless times from refugees migrants from HG.

@StratocasterTB:

but the more worrying problem is simply that Gmod is not what it used to be. Garry barely gives a shit anymore and we still don’t have Half Life 3 so interest in experimenting with the source engine is at rock bottom.

@DrunkenOrc:

gmod was cool years ago. although the game modes have evolved, gmod hasn’t. Meanwhile, engines (except source) have been improving, churning out games that have better performance, graphics, and a wider array of features than can exist on the version of source that gmod runs on.

Empirically, you can see here that’s not the case. GMod had its highest player numbers ever this past summer, while NoX declined during the same period. Meanwhile, HG grew in population as opposed to shrinking.

• you forget that nox has a higher population of people who can tell if a game is shit than other gmod servers

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.