[ZS] Add temp damage filter protection for explosives when dropped by a player

• When a player drops an explosive barrel, add a damage filter for other players who are close by for 3 seconds.

This is required since anyone can be a dick dropping an explosive barrel into an unsuspecting player that is either shooting/meleeing a zombie, causing them to get killed.

• When a player drops an explosive barrel, add a damage filter for other players who are close by for 3 seconds.

This is required since anyone can be a dick dropping an explosive barrel into an unsuspecting player that is either shooting/meleeing a zombie, causing them to get killed.

• Agreed. I got nigged when trying to break a door on Scrap Metal. Someone held a barrel in front of me and bam. At least add a way to track someone doing this.

• I agree, some kind of protection needs to be made. However, is there any cases like on an objective map where it is required to shoot an explosive barrel, where in the protection might be used to exploit that fact and cease progress in the map?

• then whats the point of them being in the map?

If you cant see someone shoving a big red barrel in your face then you deserve to be killed.

• @Raox:

However, is there any cases like on an objective map where it is required to shoot an explosive barrel, where in the protection might be used to exploit that fact and cease progress in the map?

No.@Thor:

then whats the point of them being in the map?

If you cant see someone shoving a big red barrel in your face then you deserve to be killed.

To grief
    To craft the megamasher.

That’s really not how it happens, when dropped into another player the explosive barrel becomes nocollide with a transparent material applied.
    Drop this into a player who is preoccupied with defending the barricade (shooting/meleeing zombies or repairing), and they will die.
    It isn’t even their fault when this happens, but then again you support such shitty behavior, it’s obvious you would say that.

• but to grief is to have fun

• Happened to Taven the other day. One of the kleiners got a-hold of an explosive barrel and kinda just dropped it into his line of fire.

If we have a damage filter how would the protection work?

I would say just make a timer that forces the last person to carry the explosive to be the owner of it for 2-3 seconds after dropping it, but I can’t think of a situation where zero-trolling is a possibility.

• We can still add a sub-log/ secondary log that could be accessed with time-stamps to show who was holding a barrel and who was killed by a barrel.  Every time someone picks up a new barrel, a name is forced onto it that could be used to track that specific barrel’s actions.  If it explodes, or if it is picked up, it is logged.  Some spam protection is obviously needed in order for the logs to not be swamped from someone spamming E.  This system would allow us to at least punish the players who grief with noodle arms/ 1-2 day ban similar to the rubber hammer punishment.  Just an idea though.

• Nigger

• What I see in that video is west nile throwing an explosive barrel into the zombie spawn, though he obviously didn’t want to get too close so he threw it over the humans to get to the zombies.  The barrel flies over all the humans and doesn’t get into the field of fire until it takes an unlucky bounce off the head of the zombie, tilting it to Raox, who wasn’t paying attention to the zombie until he immediately turns to shoot him, at the exact moment the barrel makes the bad bounce.

I would say this supports having a damage filter as accidents happen and shooting an explosive barrel point blank sucks, but what I don’t understand is why west nile got a double damage punishment for this, as if Raox had not shot the barrel at that moment, it would have continued past the zombie into territory where nobody would have gotten hurt from the blast radius.  Not only that, but Raox didn’t even die from the blast, meaning that he could have easily just hung back and gotten healed by medkits (unless he had the debuff, but I have no way of knowing).  Also from the logs (http://www.noxiousnet.com/logs/67_212_184_66_27015/2014_09_08/log049.txt http://www.noxiousnet.com/logs/67_212_184_66_27015/2014_09_08/log050.txt) it seems that you are only looking into this so much because the player in question who got damaged was Raox, especially because nobody mentions the fact that they got fucked by an explosive barrel in chat.

Now I have no idea why west nile was rubber hammered or why it was removed so I won’t say anything on that matter, but it feels like this punishment was biased towards west nile due to you voicing your discontent on the disappearance of his previous punishment in log050 and how it was Raox who got damaged instead of any other random zs player.  I don’t believe that west nile should be punished for this, as in the video you can see that there was no malicious intent, and that this was a bad decision influenced by bias towards the victim.

• What he did was no accident, that was his explosive barrel he carried and nailed/unnailed multiple times prior to this footage in particular, I knew something was going to happen.
    Since this player has a history of griefing, I’m not going to ignore it.
    It’s either 1 player gets hurt/killed due to accidental misfire, or several others get hurt/killed should a zombie break it, or nothing happens.

if Raox had not shot the barrel at that moment

The demo is in slow motion at this point, his intended target was the zombie’s head, an explosive barrel got thrown in the way.

Not only that, but Raox didn’t even die from the blast, meaning

This justifies nothing.

this was a bad decision influenced by bias towards the victim

Not really, any form of teamkill/damage is taken seriously by me and other admins (ones that actually play), whether it’s via explosive barrels or func_physboxes.
    This has been the only good opportunity I’ve been able to record, many other times when this is done with different players, I never get it recorded due to being out of range for what a demo can see, and every other player present don’t even know how to demo record (or even care).

• I threw an explosive barrel at the zombies in the hopes that someone would shoot it and kill the zombies, why anyone was that close to the zombies to begin with is beyond me, seeing as you know were they are coming from.

Also the only physical prop in the beginning of that map is the explosive barrel, what else would it be used for?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.