[Homebrew] Ganymed: The premier space fleet simulator™

• What is this?

This is Ganymed. In Ganymed, you play the role of an officer aboard a space fleet. You might be the captain of a space cruiser, commander of one of the fleet’s fighter squadrons, or a lieutenant with one of many other roles. You will help lead your fleet to victory as it struggles to survive in a hostile solar system. Try to keep your fleet from being scrapped by pirates, absorbed into ruthless corporations or shot to pieces by military governments that rule the space lanes.

Ganymed is a homebrew roleplaying game I have been working on for some time. It will be done within the next few weeks. Since this will be the first time I have run it publicly, you can expect some balance issues, but nothing too serious that won’t be fixed within the first few sessions.

Schedule
    Now (20th): Recruitment is open. I’m looking for a crew of somewhere around four or six people for the fleet. If more players want to join, I will either add them to the fleet if there is room, or maybe start a new fleet. We’ll see.

Within 3-7 days: I will be running a quick test battle. This will have nothing to do with the actual campaign, don’t feel bad if you miss it. It is just a preventative measure to make sure there are no serious issues with the game before the campaign starts. I will grab whatever players are online at the time and pit them in battle with some pre-made fleets. Unless there’s a major problem I need to fix, we will then proceed to the next step.

After test battle: I will post the rules file in this thread for everyone to read. I will work with the fleet to make their characters and then to make their fleet. Also, we will find a scheduled time to play that will work for everyone.

Game Details

The rules are mostly done but there are some missing sections and areas that I need to rewrite, so I won’t post them yet. However, here’s a quick rundown of gameplay so that you know what you’re getting in to.

The game Ganymed mostly revolves around fleet battles. There will also be exploration as the fleet moves from place to place, negotiation and dialog with NPCs, and the usual things you would expect. However, Ganymed is highly combat-focused.

In a Fleet Battle, the officers of the fleet (the players) have to move their large capital ships into good positions and formations. Although they can do large amounts of damage and are extremely difficult to destroy, a capital ship has turning speeds anywhere from sluggish to incredibly clunky due to their huge size, and most of the weapons on a capital ship can only fire in certain directions. In order to cover the blind spots on a fleet, very small capital ships and fighter squadrons need to be used. Fighters deal lower damage and have low health, but are difficult to hit for capital ships.

Officers have different ranks: Captain, Lieutenant, an Commander. An officer can change rank at any time if there is a need to. Changing from one rank to another will require you to learn some new abilities, but you will not lose your old ones. If your character becomes effective at multiple roles, he will be able to play either with ease. Additionally, mastering multiple roles will increase your base stats, which give bonuses to you and your fleet. However, splitting your attention between multiple roles will lower your effectiveness, since you have not spent as much time mastering just one role.

Only one officer of any role can give orders on a ship. You cannot have two of the same type of officer on the same ship.

Captains are in charge of a capital ship. They move it, and fire its weapons. They use their action points (similar to mana, if this were a fantasy game) to boost the ship’s stats and make special attacks. If a ship has no captain then the fleet’s officers will simply control it remotely. But, it receives no bonuses.

Lieutenants are the managers of a capital ship. Lieutenants can use their AP to give bonuses to a ship, repair it, use special equipment to disrupt enemy ships, and give orders and bonus to the crew. This is especially important if the ship is boarded or if a boarding crew is launched. They can also order the ship like a captain does if there is no captain on the ship, but they cannot give any of the bonuses given by a captain.

Commanders are in charge of a squadron of fighters. They move the squadron and decide if it will take defensive orbit around a capital ship, intercept enemy fighters, or make attack runs against enemy capital ships. They can use their AP to have the squad take special formations for defensive or offensive purposes, and to make special attacks with their squadron.

The fleet’s ships can all be customized, rebuilt, repaired and retrofitted at friendly stations. A ship has a frame which determines its size and base attributes. This frame can be given specialized armor or cores to give it slightly altered attributes. Then, the ship’s frame can be filled with a variety of sections, such as many types of weapons, shield generators, medical rooms, computer systems, cargo bays, additional engines, hangar bays, and more.

The rules document will contain all this and more details, so if you have any questions you should probably just save it until it’s ready. But if there’s something you’d like to know right away you can ask.

Recruitment

To play Ganymed, you require the following:
    Mumble and a working microphone
    Roll20.net account
    A way for me to contact you (Steam messaging is ideal, quick response to forum messages is acceptable, but not preferred)

Ganymed will be run either weekly or possibly bi-weekly. Date and time is not yet determined, but it will probably be in the evening/late evening on a weekday. (CST time.)

Missing an occasional session is allowed, but keep in mind that any ships you are responsible for running will be run by somebody else while you are gone. If you begin to miss more sessions than you attend, you will be publicly executed for criminal negligence and someone else who wants to join will take your place.

I am looking for a dedicated player who can livestream the game sessions so the rest of Nox can watch. I do not want to stream it myself, because (as we found out with Kenny’s games) if the GM is streaming, it reveals the positions of hidden GM objects in roll20 on the stream.

Recruitment is first come, first serve, as long as you aren’t a faggot.

• What is this?

This is Ganymed. In Ganymed, you play the role of an officer aboard a space fleet. You might be the captain of a space cruiser, commander of one of the fleet’s fighter squadrons, or a lieutenant with one of many other roles. You will help lead your fleet to victory as it struggles to survive in a hostile solar system. Try to keep your fleet from being scrapped by pirates, absorbed into ruthless corporations or shot to pieces by military governments that rule the space lanes.

Ganymed is a homebrew roleplaying game I have been working on for some time. It will be done within the next few weeks. Since this will be the first time I have run it publicly, you can expect some balance issues, but nothing too serious that won’t be fixed within the first few sessions.

Schedule
    Now (20th): Recruitment is open. I’m looking for a crew of somewhere around four or six people for the fleet. If more players want to join, I will either add them to the fleet if there is room, or maybe start a new fleet. We’ll see.

Within 3-7 days: I will be running a quick test battle. This will have nothing to do with the actual campaign, don’t feel bad if you miss it. It is just a preventative measure to make sure there are no serious issues with the game before the campaign starts. I will grab whatever players are online at the time and pit them in battle with some pre-made fleets. Unless there’s a major problem I need to fix, we will then proceed to the next step.

After test battle: I will post the rules file in this thread for everyone to read. I will work with the fleet to make their characters and then to make their fleet. Also, we will find a scheduled time to play that will work for everyone.

Game Details

The rules are mostly done but there are some missing sections and areas that I need to rewrite, so I won’t post them yet. However, here’s a quick rundown of gameplay so that you know what you’re getting in to.

The game Ganymed mostly revolves around fleet battles. There will also be exploration as the fleet moves from place to place, negotiation and dialog with NPCs, and the usual things you would expect. However, Ganymed is highly combat-focused.

In a Fleet Battle, the officers of the fleet (the players) have to move their large capital ships into good positions and formations. Although they can do large amounts of damage and are extremely difficult to destroy, a capital ship has turning speeds anywhere from sluggish to incredibly clunky due to their huge size, and most of the weapons on a capital ship can only fire in certain directions. In order to cover the blind spots on a fleet, very small capital ships and fighter squadrons need to be used. Fighters deal lower damage and have low health, but are difficult to hit for capital ships.

Officers have different ranks: Captain, Lieutenant, an Commander. An officer can change rank at any time if there is a need to. Changing from one rank to another will require you to learn some new abilities, but you will not lose your old ones. If your character becomes effective at multiple roles, he will be able to play either with ease. Additionally, mastering multiple roles will increase your base stats, which give bonuses to you and your fleet. However, splitting your attention between multiple roles will lower your effectiveness, since you have not spent as much time mastering just one role.

Only one officer of any role can give orders on a ship. You cannot have two of the same type of officer on the same ship.

Captains are in charge of a capital ship. They move it, and fire its weapons. They use their action points (similar to mana, if this were a fantasy game) to boost the ship’s stats and make special attacks. If a ship has no captain then the fleet’s officers will simply control it remotely. But, it receives no bonuses.

Lieutenants are the managers of a capital ship. Lieutenants can use their AP to give bonuses to a ship, repair it, use special equipment to disrupt enemy ships, and give orders and bonus to the crew. This is especially important if the ship is boarded or if a boarding crew is launched. They can also order the ship like a captain does if there is no captain on the ship, but they cannot give any of the bonuses given by a captain.

Commanders are in charge of a squadron of fighters. They move the squadron and decide if it will take defensive orbit around a capital ship, intercept enemy fighters, or make attack runs against enemy capital ships. They can use their AP to have the squad take special formations for defensive or offensive purposes, and to make special attacks with their squadron.

The fleet’s ships can all be customized, rebuilt, repaired and retrofitted at friendly stations. A ship has a frame which determines its size and base attributes. This frame can be given specialized armor or cores to give it slightly altered attributes. Then, the ship’s frame can be filled with a variety of sections, such as many types of weapons, shield generators, medical rooms, computer systems, cargo bays, additional engines, hangar bays, and more.

The rules document will contain all this and more details, so if you have any questions you should probably just save it until it’s ready. But if there’s something you’d like to know right away you can ask.

Recruitment

To play Ganymed, you require the following:
    Mumble and a working microphone
    Roll20.net account
    A way for me to contact you (Steam messaging is ideal, quick response to forum messages is acceptable, but not preferred)

Ganymed will be run either weekly or possibly bi-weekly. Date and time is not yet determined, but it will probably be in the evening/late evening on a weekday. (CST time.)

Missing an occasional session is allowed, but keep in mind that any ships you are responsible for running will be run by somebody else while you are gone. If you begin to miss more sessions than you attend, you will be publicly executed for criminal negligence and someone else who wants to join will take your place.

I am looking for a dedicated player who can livestream the game sessions so the rest of Nox can watch. I do not want to stream it myself, because (as we found out with Kenny’s games) if the GM is streaming, it reveals the positions of hidden GM objects in roll20 on the stream.

Recruitment is first come, first serve, as long as you aren’t a faggot.

• I can probably do a test run next week, I get home from work around 730-8 EST. As for long term it will depend on a week to week basis but the time of arrival will always be the same.

• This sounds fun but I’d like to see it in action before committing. Best of luck!

• I would be willing to play in the actual sessions (and the test battle if I’m not busy then).

• The test game will be run on Wednesday, at around 8-9PM CST. Rules will be up an hour or two before then for everyone to view, and I’ll be on to explain anything.

Spectators are welcome, if you want to just see if you’d like to play or not.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.