Source 2's Hammer World Editor

• So you may have heard that Valve have soft-released an alpha version of a Source 2 toolkit for Dota 2. I’ve been playing around with the Hammer editor and I’ve got to say it’s pretty neat. It feels a hell of a lot nicer to use than the Source 1 .VMF editor, and there’s a lot more control over what you can actually design. Here’s one of my .VMFs loaded into the new format (.vmap)

Notable features: Quick selection and manipulation between Verticies, Edges, Faces and Meshes and the User Interface more closely resembles those of newer engines. The most notable feature however is world geometry can no longer be made out of brushes, only meshes; this means that the concaved limitation usually found in BSP doesn’t apply here.

Also, specifically for Dota2:

https://fat.gfycat.com/YearlyDismalHuemul.webm

As you’d expect it’s hard to do anything at the moment that’s not Dota2 based, but it shows off a nice start to a much needed improvement to the Source modding tools. It’s a shame that it’s still BSP however. If you want to play around with it yourself, just start here. I’ve read up on all the documentation for it so if you would like a hand getting started, just let me know.

• So you may have heard that Valve have soft-released an alpha version of a Source 2 toolkit for Dota 2. I’ve been playing around with the Hammer editor and I’ve got to say it’s pretty neat. It feels a hell of a lot nicer to use than the Source 1 .VMF editor, and there’s a lot more control over what you can actually design. Here’s one of my .VMFs loaded into the new format (.vmap)

Notable features: Quick selection and manipulation between Verticies, Edges, Faces and Meshes and the User Interface more closely resembles those of newer engines. The most notable feature however is world geometry can no longer be made out of brushes, only meshes; this means that the concaved limitation usually found in BSP doesn’t apply here.

Also, specifically for Dota2:

https://fat.gfycat.com/YearlyDismalHuemul.webm

As you’d expect it’s hard to do anything at the moment that’s not Dota2 based, but it shows off a nice start to a much needed improvement to the Source modding tools. It’s a shame that it’s still BSP however. If you want to play around with it yourself, just start here. I’ve read up on all the documentation for it so if you would like a hand getting started, just let me know.

• This makes me sad, because after several thousand hours of hammer in source, I’ve mastered almost every aspect of it and now I’ll have to adjust.  The good news is no more blocky fucking maps from beginners… hopefully.  I just hope it doesn’t work anything like Far Cry’s editor.  Hammer is so straight forward on how to make a map it’s really fun to get into.

Vertex manipulation is a bitch right now and completely unforgiving.  Is there a way to port maps back into vmf format once you convert them to vmap so I can use the easier tools?  I want to get started with this right away.

• So new maps are no longer bsp based? No areaportals/hints/othercrap ? Increased gpu load?

• @Benjy:

It’s a shame that it’s still BSP however.

• I am blind, sorry. But how those meshes gonna  work? Displacements 2.0?

• I found this that explained how I’m feeling -

In a way, I’m kinda saddened by this new way. I don’t know if it will be easier, or harder on me. Because I’ve spent years working in the Source Engine Hammer Editor on the 4 plains of angles, and it’s grown accustomed to my eyes. I know where everything is, I know how most of it works, and it’s basically was where mapping blood started with me. It’s going to sadden me a bit to see it go, it’s been such a great editor to work with (When it wasn’t bugging the fuck out.) and it always made me feel like I was actually doing something compared to other editors I’ve delt with.

In a way, I hope they keep the old style of Source Map making in a possible future version of Source 2 Hammer. Because my only speculation with this, is that I feel like I won’t be able to control it as much.

I hope they allow us to place boxes and manipulate vertices still with the 2d views and just convert them to meshes in game or in editor with a simple button click.  I feel as though the displacements always needed a major overhaul and in-game manipulation much like the hl2 beta had.  I just feel that this won’t breed better maps, just better looking maps.  It was the single unit adjustments to each brush that made everything seem so fine tuned after a day’s work in hammer.  Then again, that kind of editor will probably be nothing like the source 2.0 hammer editor that is released with the next big title or so.  I can’t see them leaving behind the ability to still make things out of boxes initially as that is what gives Half Life and Portal and most source games their distinctive feel…. that and gaben.

Also, I just started downloading DOTA 2 and read the recommendations…

When I first started DOTA2 I was a little overwhelmed, as my first ARTS/MOBA game it was pretty complicated. I soon started to pick up the mechanics like last hitting and denying. Before I knew it, I was performing лучше and better. I stopped making silly ошибки and я got vastly better at not кормление the enemy команда. For the наиболее part, everyone I’ve met was very helpful and хороший, there есть the иногда рывок however. As Я по-прежнему play DOTA2 все более и более, Я уверен, что я буду продолжать совершенствовать. Я рекомендую эту игру для всех!

Who dox dota

• Don’t worry about it being BSP based for now, there are still BSP elements but are avoided in the top-down nature of DotA2. Future Source 2 FPS variations may rely on a completely different system. As of yet there is no documentation on how the world is rendered for these games but it is clear that this new version of Hammer will be used for Source 2 games. I expect that they’ll just add some kind of occlusion culling.

World geometry for now is created in meshes, and just like a 3D moddeling program can be UV peeled to texture arches without seams. Complex arches and rooms can be made out of one mesh (although you’d still want to split them into manageable chunks). The difference between a static prop render and a BSP render doesn’t exist for DotA2.

@ChiRaeDisk:

I hope they allow us to place boxes and manipulate vertices still with the 2d views and just convert them to meshes in game or in editor with a simple button click. […] I can’t see them leaving behind the ability to still make things out of boxes initially as that is what gives Half Life and Portal and most source games their distinctive feel.

There’s nothing stopping you making maps in the same way, all the shortcuts, windows and tools from the older iteration of hammer are still there.

• Benjy, you’ve just calmed my nerves.  I can go to sleep tonight with peace of mind.  No fucking joke

• I want vmf save support if they don’t (and probably won’t) release a truthly moddable version of their own engine and don’t change their dumb engine licensing policy

• Creating complex single mesh rooms is exceptionally easy at least.

@Samuel:

I want vmf save support

Doubtful.

• in editor lighting?  About fucking time.

• Yay
    ValvE is actually about to do a full Source-2 Release, lets hope it’ll be as “revolutionary” as source 1’s.

Also thanks

• @ChiRaeDisk:

This makes me sad, because after several thousand hours of hammer in source, I’ve mastered almost every aspect of it and now I’ll have to adjust.

Your plebian self probably doesn’t even know how to use the skew tool.

• multiple clicks on the selected object in the 2d editor mode to cycle through the various methods of transitioning… but okay.

• It seems that there is backwards compatibility with source 1:

• Import only.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.