CSS models in Garrys mod?

• Greetings,

I’m in the process of getting my first gmod map completed for Zombie Survival and I was curious as to which models are available by default with gmod. After poking around a bit on my own it seems to me that only hl2 resources are really present. However, when playing on various maps I can see assets such as the large white cargo truck being used. Are these assets being extracted from cstrike’s vpk file and then pak’d into the bsp after the final version is compiled? Or are cstrike assets available with gmod?

I really want to use a number of these assets and just need to know what’s required in doing so. Any help would he much appreciated. I’ll be posting a preview of my work here in about a week or two.

Cheers,
    El

• Greetings,

I’m in the process of getting my first gmod map completed for Zombie Survival and I was curious as to which models are available by default with gmod. After poking around a bit on my own it seems to me that only hl2 resources are really present. However, when playing on various maps I can see assets such as the large white cargo truck being used. Are these assets being extracted from cstrike’s vpk file and then pak’d into the bsp after the final version is compiled? Or are cstrike assets available with gmod?

I really want to use a number of these assets and just need to know what’s required in doing so. Any help would he much appreciated. I’ll be posting a preview of my work here in about a week or two.

Cheers,
    El

• If a player has the css game mounted, if they have it purchased and downloaded, they can see the models and various assets.  Otherwise, they will see errors and missing textures.  Try not to pakrat Valve’s content.  I don’t think they take kindly to that.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

If a player has the css game mounted, if they have it purchased and downloaded, they can see the models and various assets.  Otherwise, they will see errors and missing textures.  Try not to pakrat Valve’s content.  I don’t think they take kindly to that.

So on these gmod servers where there are cstrike assets used the server operators just assume that everyone playing has cstrike? If someone were to join that particular server without CSS then they’d just get all errors for the missing assets? Seems a bit odd to me that a server would do that but the concept makes sense.

• You’re playing gmod. You’re expected to have at least HL2, its episodes, and CS:S.

• @xELx:

So on these gmod servers where there are cstrike assets used the server operators just assume that everyone playing has cstrike? If someone were to join that particular server without CSS then they’d just get all errors for the missing assets? Seems a bit odd to me that a server would do that but the concept makes sense.

If map is using XXXX content, but Player doesn’t have it, then he will see Errors. Doesn’t matter if server got XXXX content too or not.
    Expect everyone to have HL2 and CS:S content.
    @ChiRaeDisk:

If a player has the css game mounted, if they have it purchased and downloaded, they can see the models and various assets.  Otherwise, they will see errors and missing textures.  Try not to pakrat Valve’s content.  I don’t think they take kindly to that.

Why would they dislike someone for pakrating models to make map compatible with different source games?
    They don’t care about this.

• Banned

If you don’t wanna buy the game you can just sownload the CS:S content from the internet

• The answer is yes you can use models from counter strike.

• A cheaty way you can release a map with CSS content is to pakrat all the CSS/HL2 models you use by extracting or downloading them first.

• @Limesta:

A cheaty way you can release a map with CSS content is to pakrat all the CSS/HL2 models you use by extracting or downloading them first.

I don’t want unnecessary file space being taken up because some people don’t have CS:S.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

Which is why Valve featured a L4D map with only TF2 content (When it was still part of the orange box) in their blog

• Christ use pakbsp, atleast then you dont have to manually sift through the files you need.

• @Samuel:

Which is why Valve featured a L4D map with only TF2 content (When it was still part of the orange box) in their blog

I remember reading from somewhere about using game content with pakrat, but I can’t find anything about it other than just plain using valve maps with little modifications.  That being said, I had completely forgotten that you can get all source content from the dedicated server dl.

Also, someone already pointed what I said not being correct.  You don’t have to be a sarcastic ass about it.

• You can’t get the all of the source content from steamcmd. They give you the materials (surface properties), but not the textures (what you actually see).

• @JetBoom:

You can’t get the all of the source content from steamcmd. They give you the materials (surface properties), but not the textures (what you actually see).

I used steamcmd to download this and unpacked it with gcfscape. Preview.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.