Dynamic spawning: the final

• Administrators

Tell me if this is a good idea. I feel it would eliminate every problem spawning poses, including spawn camping, bad dynamic spawn points, bad nest placement, and the headache of nest management.

When a zombie dies they get a free roam camera. On the ground is a ghost zombie they can see which represents if they can spawn in that spot or not. Red for invalid, green for valid. Click the mouse to spawn there. Can use right mouse to spawn in a random spot.
    New spawning rules:

• Spot needs to be firmly on the ground. Needs enough space for your collision box.
    • Spot can’t be seen by a human at all.
    • Spot can’t be near a human by x units, skewed so spawning on top or below requires less distance.
    • Spot must be seen by a zombie.
    • Always spawn at a regular spawn point on wave start.
    • Use current rules for ZE.

Flesh Creeper nests would be changed to do something else. Maybe overhealing you by a certain %.

• Administrators

Tell me if this is a good idea. I feel it would eliminate every problem spawning poses, including spawn camping, bad dynamic spawn points, bad nest placement, and the headache of nest management.

When a zombie dies they get a free roam camera. On the ground is a ghost zombie they can see which represents if they can spawn in that spot or not. Red for invalid, green for valid. Click the mouse to spawn there. Can use right mouse to spawn in a random spot.
    New spawning rules:

• Spot needs to be firmly on the ground. Needs enough space for your collision box.
    • Spot can’t be near a human by x units, skewed so spawning on top or below requires less distance.
    • Always spawn at a regular spawn point on wave start.
    • Use current rules for ZE.

Flesh Creeper nests would be changed to do something else. Maybe overhealing you by a certain %.

• That would take out the need for us to exit the cade and destroy flesh nests to aid in winning.  That extra strategy based spawning was a great addition for the game.  I’d leave flesh creeper in and increase the distance for zombies to spawn from humans so flesh creeper still has usefulness.  In addition, decreasing flesh nest distance to players will add that sense of urgency for players to leave the cade on a group search and destroy mission so they don’t get demolished on wave start.

The idea seems great, but flesh creeper should be the better spawn option of the two.  Changing health to overdrive with flesh nests will require a ton of extra balancing.

• Won’t this will slow down spawning? At the moment zombies just left click the moment they die and walk back into the fight, this would make zombies be dead for longer. Maybe make it so that your ghost is teleported to your previous spawn point the moment you die.

• This idea is great for amassing zombie armies in non-standard spawn points.  There won’t be easy spawn camping anymore.

• Bad Reading.

I’d say it sounds pretty good. The flesh creeper is a problem right now with its shitty hitbox.

• Administrators

@Pseudohorse:

Won’t this will slow down spawning? At the moment zombies just left click the moment they die and walk back into the fight, this would make zombies be dead for longer. Maybe make it so that your ghost is teleported to your previous spawn point the moment you die.

That was the idea.

• If you can read which visleafs the client is rendering through lua you could make something similar to what the Director AI does in L4D to check spawns easily, I doubt this is the case though and it could break in some maps, just a simple tracer between any nearby humans should be enough if it isn’t possible or as a fallback

Disable the “Must be seen by a zombie” rule if the map doesn’t have enough spawns and zombies can’t go X units from their spawn or humans are X units from the zombie spawn

• I would also add a rule that you can also spawn if your collision model is inside another zombie’s instead of also having to be seen by a zombie.

• You’d be in a visible range if your ghost’s bounding box (Which probably has none) is colliding with another zombie already

Flesh nests could work like warp gates a-lá SMB pipes, specially for bosses, as the player gives the crouch action (from standing, zombies already crouching would give no action) in a flesh nest his model sinks into the nest and he changes to third person with other nests in view with indication wires similar to those in watch-dogs to show the player where the other nests are in spartial space, pressing W makes the player warp foward to the nest closest to his crosshair (possibly emitting flesh particles along the way on the ground until the destination to provide visual and audible feedback?), pressing space makes him get out of the nest, keep your overheal idea with this as well

• @JetBoom:

Wouldn’t this be a problem for multiple smaller maps? Couldn’t humans just spread out and prevent zombie spawns?

• Administrators

This is for dynamic spawning. Zombies will still be able to spawn at mapper-determined spots regardless of dynamic spawning conditions.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

That would take out the need for us to exit the cade and destroy flesh nests to aid in winning.  That extra strategy based spawning was a great addition for the game.  I’d leave flesh creeper in and increase the distance for zombies to spawn from humans so flesh creeper still has usefulness.  In addition, decreasing flesh nest distance to players will add that sense of urgency for players to leave the cade on a group search and destroy mission so they don’t get demolished on wave start.

The idea seems great, but flesh creeper should be the better spawn option of the two.  Changing health to overdrive with flesh nests will require a ton of extra balancing.

I like the idea of ZS having a certain “strategy” feel to the game, like, playing the game normally is fine, but using a strategy is going to secure you the game.
    I know there’s strategies probably already out there, they’re just used for granite, I’m going to get yelled at, etc.
    All I know is that I find it cool if ZS had strategies to the game instead of just "maek caed, hide behind caed, kill zombies/be a jew/repair/heal dumbasses getting hurt"
    That’s not really a strategy, but more of a meta, which tends to be a “strategy” that wins the game nearly all the time, becoming a “meta”.
    but obviously not to a stupid degree where the game is based around strategy, or else it just becomes tower defense, but sort of like, a “hidden strategy” feel, sort of like a puzzle with different ways to complete it.
    (that may sound like total horse shit, but i hope somebody gets what I’m trying to say and i’m too lazy to put anything more right now bye) :mellow:

• @JetBoom:

Maybe make it exclude headcrabs (and possibly fasties) as they are pretty adept at getting in cades.
    Also one issue what I see is zombies peeking in from small holes and allowing others to spawn in cades.

• Is this idea still being put into thought?

• Administrators

It is. The current system is not optimal.

• This sounds really good as long as the ghosts move very quickly. It would be tedious if they moved at zombie speed.

• Administrators

You’re no clipping and the ghost is just a representation of where you would spawn.

• Before doing anything else with the Sigils Update, this should be the #1 priority since it can change gameplay as well

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.