Team play is dead guys

• Team play one of the most fun ive had in a long time well is dead NO ONE plays on it anymore its sad Its such a good game mode too lets see if we can start to get it out there more so more players come……

• Team play one of the most fun ive had in a long time well is dead NO ONE plays on it anymore its sad Its such a good game mode too lets see if we can start to get it out there more so more players come……

• agree

• please use one of the other team play is dead threads to complain.  We have enough new threads for this particular thing.

• The Darker One is working on an update that will introduce new vehicles, spells and classes, as well as fix recent issues such as lua scripting errors. All that’s necessary to get Team Play populated for a day is a steam group event.

• The new vehicles are already in. It’s just that Jetboom somehow managed to break the Vpad UI right before the last update.

• @ritzbits:

The Darker One is working on an update that will introduce new vehicles, spells and classes, as well as fix recent issues such as lua scripting errors. All that’s necessary to get Team Play populated for a day is a steam group event.

I sure hope some of those things are intended to make the game easier on new players, because that is by far the biggest issue right now.

• @StratocasterTB:

I sure hope some of those things are intended to make the game easier on new players, because that is by far the biggest issue right now.

There was a point all I cared about on nox was retro team play because it was so much fucking fun. Then Teamplay 2 released and I loved the melee mechanics in there to death. Then TP2 died and I went back to loving retro team play. Then EFT released and I liked EFT, but still loved teamplay. Then “rebalancing” happened, and that’s when my love for RTP abruptly died.

Each class, before Gmod12, was perfectly balanced: one class was good against many, but had weaknesses to many, often free, classes. You could still kill the classes if you were observant, but in battle there was simply too much shit going on to check around you, giving the perfect opportunity for a defending Assassin to perform several kills. Sure, Wizard was powerful, but he still fell prey easily to Dark Mage’s AoE spells, Crafter mobs, dragoons, and when shock’s behavior changed, assassins.

Popping in 0.5 seconds is complete bullshit and only happened with spells that were focused to do that. At absolute worst adding a delay to certain spammable spells (fire bolt, new shock) and a longer cooldown (say, 10 seconds or so) to spells that DID pop you instantly (death ray, leech, in some cases zolt) would have fixed the problem. The nerfs to fix a nearly nonexistent problem upset the balance in many, many classes. Wizard is a pushover, warrior is too speedy for 100% projectile based magic to catch, crafter is unplayable because now every magic-based class is essentially an edited copy of archer, which was the original crafter’s weakness and that hasn’t changed with the throwable wrench, etc etc. you get my point.

Now, RTP is more like DOTA, where 10% of the people that actually see the game can understand how to play it properly - and with 0 players every day, how is 10% of maybe 24 players a year going to benefit it? Like I keep saying, if you go back to a SLIGHTLY edited version of the older mechanics, RTP has a slight chance of reviving.

And to counter a reappearing theme in these threads:

@AtomiC:

But the end result is still going to be a deathmatch with spells and cool explosions.

ZS is a deathmatch with guns and zombies. AS:S is a deathmatch with guns and cool explosions. EFT is a deathmatch with a football theme. DOTA 2 is a deathmatch with a magic theme. I don’t see your point.

@AtomiC:

We’re not gonna get any more players.

People say that about ttt, that eventually the same old investigate-and-murder gamemode will get stale and die off. That hasn’t happened yet, has it?

@AtomiC:

A problem we have with teamplay right now is that we are living inside this close minded bubble

Same problem we have with Extreme Football Throwdown and it still has players. Where are the ball powerups? I don’t even care if they just happen completely randomly at this point. It’s been months.

• TTT is a staple gamemode that came with Garry’s Mod because it won an official gamemode contest, and that definitely helped its popularity. It’s easy to keep playing TTT because like ZS, EFT, and prop hunt, TTT has fairly lengthy rounds where you just shoot things (or hit people and score goals in EFT). Team Play is more skill-based.

• @ritzbits:

TTT is a staple gamemode that came with Garry’s Mod because it won an official gamemode contest, and that definitely helped its popularity. It’s easy to keep playing TTT because like ZS, EFT, and prop hunt, TTT has fairly lengthy rounds where you just shoot things (or hit people and score goals in EFT). Team Play is more skill-based.

Several fretta gamemodes were also included with gmod for winning the exact same contest and were at some points more popular then TTT. They died out not even a week later due to having either quick rounds, or being too complex to install in 30 seconds on a minigame server (Garryware).

• And to counter a reappearing theme in these threads:
    shit arguments

This is not how you make arguments. You’re taking words out of context. And your points are shit.

Here let me make it easy for your brain, here are my main arguments:

RTP is an unique gamemode. But people don’t care anymore because it’s 2014, not 2008 when there werent a lot of gamemodes.

RTP is a chaotic mess with explosions. It is a deathmatch. It’s more fun to kill people than it is to actually do the objectives.

The skill difference makes people mad, frustrated and leave the server.

The spell casting mechanic is awful. Telling people to “bind” keys is an invalid option because it should be good by default.

Too many spells. Too many classes.

It is a fact that people leave during round changes. A % of the players leave when they get the option to. Watch ZS during map transitions.

There are too many round winning factors.

• @commandhat:

ZS is a deathmatch with guns and zombies. AS:S is a deathmatch with guns and cool explosions. EFT is a deathmatch with a football theme. DOTA 2 is a deathmatch with a magic theme. I don’t see your point.

Not going to lie here, but that is a load of shit.

There is a clear difference between deathmatch types and objective types.  One has a goal of dealing out death an the other has some kind of objective other than just killing the most.
    ZS may be an elimination deathmatch for zombies, but for humans it is a tense survival game.  Spot on with AS:S.  EFT can easily be done without killing and it happens often enough.  DOTA 2 isn’t heavily reliant on team scores as much as it is on smashing that ancient.  I’ve seen tactics involving ninja-ing the shit out of the team’s infrastructure and winning even with a lower score.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

EFT can easily be done without killing and it happens often enough.

EFT is literally teamplay 2 blitz without all the alternative attack options or customization. RTP flag caps can happen without the carrier needing to kill people if he’s speedy/dodgy enough. I’ve done it several times. I won’t lie, I’m a little angry seeing RTP get ripped apart by changes invented to solve nonexistent problems then wondering what went wrong.

@AtomiC:

You’re taking words out of context.

I don’t see how I am… unless you mean I split up your post to reply to it point-by-point?

RTP is a chaotic mess with explosions. It is a deathmatch. It’s more fun to kill people than it is to actually do the objectives.

That I’m willing to agree with on some level. It’s called Teamplay for a reason. Even if you aren’t doing the objective, you are killing would-be obstacles to getting the objectives solved. And you are still killing people when doing the objectives, unless the team you are up against is pants on head retarded.

The skill difference makes people mad, frustrated and leave the server.

You mean the skill difference introduced by the rebalancing and removal of many classes? Juggernaut and his cousins were shit, but warrior was good. Was. The introduction of new abilties that made him useful only in specific situations made him harder to play, now there’s no good option to get people introduced to RTP.

The spell casting mechanic is awful. Telling people to “bind” keys is an invalid option because it should be good by default.

No arguments here. I would love a new spell casting mechanic that doesn’t involve using the mouse buttons for anything except firing, and I willingly accept that this is one of the points that brings down RTP. I would love a revamp, because as you say, it’s 2014. We shouldn’t need to deal with 2 buttons for selecting from up to 16 different spells. I’m fairly sure I mentioned this at least once, though that may be ingame.

There are too many round winning factors.

I’m fairly sure that was part of what kept RTP exciting for some people, as stupid as it sounds. What is going to be the one thing out of many that wins the round? Do I get to be involved with it on some level?

Couple things before you reply:

• I’m not calling anyone stupid, at least not intentionally.

• I’m not looking to start a flame war. I’m leaving the topic if people with stonewall opinions start getting buttflustered.

• Yes, the gamemode needs to change. How is brooding about the loss of players and only the loss of players going to fix it? Discussion needs to happen for fixes to appear. I’m just trying to get some manner of discussion started on that subject so what needs to happen to fix the problems can be made known.

• Yes, I’m aware RTP isn’t nox’s flagship gamemode anymore. Doesn’t mean it’s an excuse to refuse to touch it. SMB is harder to revive without advertising it because there aren’t that many mechanics you can change, and the ones you can are hard to change without making them worse accidentally. That is a reason to laze around about updates for SMB. I would care if it dissappeared, but as long as either RTP or EFT were still around I’d eventually go “meh, fuck it” and go back to babysitting.

• Think I’ve got shit arguments? Cool, don’t care. Discussion is happening about why RTP died rather then when RTP died. That’s all that matters in my opinion. Though I will say, wow, that post had some Prettycake levels of stupidity.

• remove mana, add cooldowns to spells, reduce the amount of spells, make every class work like paladin where it has its own theme; spells shouldn’t be shared by 5 different classes aside from a few utility ones

• One of the shittiest things with regards to RTP right now is the inability to vote for maps. When the low player count maps are all used up you are stuck with the maps that for whatever fucking reason have no minimum player limit. These maps are the 4 team maps and other overly large maps. RTP will die if any players are on because it becomes a walking marathon.

• Since the server is actually populated tonight, I took note of what I perceive as the major issues. Some of this stuff has been said already but fuck it.

-Lack of a proper class for newbies. Spell Saber is pretty good for beginners but not as good as initiate. Darker One was talking about giving initiate a staff with rapid-fire projectiles that would essentially function as a gun, which I think is brilliant.
    -Spell selection system is, quite frankly, god awful. My best suggestion would be to find a way to integrate the mouse wheel into the system.
    -Game mode variety. HTF never gets played because of how broken it is and assault could have easily been fixed with a little work.
    -Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors
    -Bugs fucking everywhere. Most notably the missing vehicle HUD and the completely broken viewmodels. I understand that this is mostly because of the game mode’s age but they are worth mentioning.
    -On a more superficial note, the game’s visuals are terribly outdated. Obvious UI stuff like spell icons and menus are a simple fix. However, I feel that the bigger issue is the overall generic “city 17” look. We’ve discussed custom models for weapons, vehicles and classes before but obviously that’s going to take much more work than the UI.

I hope I don’t sound too whiny. I truly believe that this game mode still has a lot of life left in it, even if it is going to take a lot of work.

So yeah, that’s my two cents.

• Banned

@PureJeenyus:

One of the shittiest things with regards to RTP right now is the inability to vote for maps. When the low player count maps are all used up you are stuck with the maps that for whatever fucking reason have no minimum player limit. These maps are the 4 team maps and other overly large maps. RTP will die if any players are on because it becomes a walking marathon.

Yeah this right here. Its pretty much random map time every round.

• I played RTP properly for the first time yesterday and although at first I had no idea what to do, found it very enjoyable once you get into it.

-Spell selection system is, quite frankly, god awful. My best suggestion would be to find a way to integrate the mouse wheel into the system.

This was my main problem and I found it very awkward at first. From what I could tell, you press mouse 1 or mouse 2 and then with wasd, move in the direction of the spell you want to equip. When in battle, I seriously struggled to change spells while keeping myself alive.

-Bugs fucking everywhere. Most notably the missing vehicle HUD and the completely broken viewmodels. I understand that this is mostly because of the game mode’s age but they are worth mentioning.

Yeah, I tried playing some of the melee based classes and found the lack of hand models on weapons a bit disorienting, as well as weapons being mostly off screen when you attack

• @StratocasterTB:

-Lack of a proper class for newbies. Spell Saber is pretty good for beginners but not as good as initiate. Darker One was talking about giving initiate a staff with rapid-fire projectiles that would essentially function as a gun, which I think is brilliant.

jetboom said that was a dumb idea awhile ago so that’s not happening

@StratocasterTB:

darkerone is working on a new spell selection system, with the legacy system as an option so nostalgic neckbeards who want their old, shitty spell selector can still have it

@StratocasterTB:

-Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors Something is causing script errors
    -On a more superficial note, the game’s visuals are terribly outdated. Obvious UI stuff like spell icons and menus are a simple fix. However, I feel that the bigger issue is the overall generic “city 17” look. We’ve discussed custom models for weapons, vehicles and classes before but obviously that’s going to take much more work than the UI.

yes, the errors are obvious and so are the bugs, spell icons look fine and nobody wants to download 800 mb of custom models

@Niandra:

Yeah, I tried playing some of the melee based classes and found the lack of hand models on weapons a bit disorienting, as well as weapons being mostly off screen when you attack

another thing that can be fixed using jetboom’s lua animation api and SCK, fairly simple to fix

• I still haven’t seen this “something is causing script errors” everyone keeps complaining about. I don’t know if I’m immune because I have the gmod12 gamemode in my gamemodes folder or what.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.