Sound Systems

• Alrighty i need noxiousnet class experts in pc/ tv sound systems.

So i currently have a stereo sound system which interfaces with a 2.5mm headphone jack.
    This is plugged into my tv, which allows me to play ps3, and pc (so hdmi –> tv --> speakers) without having to mess with any cables.

What i would like is also get a big yamaha subwoofer and be able to use this in combination with my current speakers.
    So… is this easy? What do i need?

If it’s easier to connect it all to the PC and then i just rock the ps3 with headphones that’s fine.

• Alrighty i need noxiousnet class experts in pc/ tv sound systems.

So i currently have a stereo sound system which interfaces with a 2.5mm headphone jack.
    This is plugged into my tv, which allows me to play ps3, and pc (so hdmi –> tv --> speakers) without having to mess with any cables.

What i would like is also get a big yamaha subwoofer and be able to use this in combination with my current speakers.
    So… is this easy? What do i need?

If it’s easier to connect it all to the PC and then i just rock the ps3 with headphones that’s fine.

• For a simple setup on a computer you may need a digital coaxial or optical plug for sound on your computer.  You either already have one built in or you need to get a card for it.

If you are routing through your tv for sound (what I do), you may already have a digital output of some form.  Next you should try to find a basic receiver to plug the sub woofer into.  The receiver is generally the middle man between the tv and speakers, although there are some models that take all the signals and output video to the tv so you can hide the extra wires.  The sub woofer takes digital cables or the standard powered/ground cables of certain gauge.  Make sure your sub woofer takes a certain type of input or both as it makes determining your setup easier.  Generally, you’ll want to have speakers that will plug into your receiver and that doesn’t sound like your setup at all.  You might have a difficult time balancing sound coming from your speakers and sub woofer at that point.

There may be a good solution out there that I’m not familiar with however.  It’s best to google these things.

A quick search and I found a better solution not guaranteed to work with your setup-
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/598602/how-to-connect-a-subwoofer-to-computer

Edit:  I bought an Onkyo receiver off of ebay for $30.  It solves hunger problems in Africa.

• Alrighty thanks, i used one of the linked solutions :)

So it was pretty straightforward, 3.5mm to dual rca, one end of which goes to subwoofer.

The subwoofer is awesome when it’s actually playing surround sound audio, but what i’d like is it to be used when just playing stero stuff too.  Some kind of speaker fill setup, windows doesn’t seem to have anything that works.

Anybody have a particular program they use for their sound management?

-edit-

Ok dont worry, i updated drivers and managed to find some settings im happy with.
    Bass management is the one you want, not speaker fill.  Time to feel the bass behind those headshots :)

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.