In-game Console crashing GMOD

• I’ve been using DirectX 8.1 for a while now (switched to 8 recently), and everything was going smoothly good, until recently after a gmod update i believe, that i started crashing
    as soon as i opened console in a multiplayer server. I switched back to directX 8.1 to make sure that this wasn’t the issue, and so it wasn’t (console works fine in directX 9).
    My question is… is there a tweak or any way to make the console functionable again in these lower directX levels?
    Thanks for your time

• I’ve been using DirectX 8.1 for a while now (switched to 8 recently), and everything was going smoothly good, until recently after a gmod update i believe, that i started crashing
    as soon as i opened console in a multiplayer server. I switched back to directX 8.1 to make sure that this wasn’t the issue, and so it wasn’t (console works fine in directX 9).
    My question is… is there a tweak or any way to make the console functionable again in these lower directX levels?
    Thanks for your time

• @Donny:

I’ve been using DirectX 8.1

Don’t

• Why would you want to lower your directx?

• Until i upgraded from a shitty 10 year old integrated gpu that couldnt run directx 9 i had the same problem.
    As far as i know this happens with all versions of directx older than 9, which are no longer supported by the source engine so you’re not likely to get a fix anytime soon.

• @LoneSoldier55:

Why would you want to lower your directx?

Lower directx reduces significantly the fps, which is a holy thing with more than 20 players playing.

@Box:

That issue is probably fixed in the next update, check gmod dev version to confirm.

I haven’t found anything useful about this issue there, but I do believe that DR. Zoidcrab is right about lower directx versions
    not being supported by the source engine which gives me 2 options: a) never use the console b) run with directx 9.
    Thanks for your replies

• I think you mean it significantly increases FPS, but I understand.

• @Donny:

I haven’t found anything useful about this issue there

What do you mean not useful?
    Did you even check the development branch, and confirm if the console still crashes you?
    Right click garrysmod on steam, properties, betas, enter development branch, launch gmod and check if the console crash persists, then revert back to the non-beta branch.

@_kilburn:

Oh by the way, can anyone who is having the console crash issue give the dev branch a try and tell me if they’re still having it? Apparently I fixed it but it’s hard to tell since I can’t replicate it myself.

If you’re lucky and he has fixed it, you atleast have this to look forward to when they push out the update.

• @Box:

What do you mean not useful?
    Did you even check the development branch, and confirm if the console still crashes you?
    Right click garrysmod on steam, properties, betas, enter development branch, launch gmod and check if the console crash persists, then revert back to the non-beta branch.
    If you’re lucky and he has fixed it, you atleast have this to look forward to when they push out the update.

I’ve been on Beta since always i’m afraid so:/ I’ll try my luck by switching to non-beta and back to beta again but if that doesn’t work
    i’ll just keep an eye for an update in that thread, or send a PM to _Kilburn asking for any solutions that he might have found.

• Just tried dxlevel 80 81 90 95 with non beta gmod in two different computers. No crashes using console in a multiplayer server.
    Do you crash in the menu too? or just in multiplayer. Tested with windowed mode only if that changes anything.

• @Sun:

Just tried dxlevel 80 81 90 95 with non beta gmod in two different computers. No crashes using console in a multiplayer server.
    Do you crash in the menu too? or just in multiplayer. Tested with windowed mode only if that changes anything.

In that case i’m kinda lost since I still crash with or without Beta participation
    p.s. Only in multiplayer

• Things to try:
    reinstall gmod
    windows system restore to before you were crashing
    update microsoft directx
    check with a different graphics card if possible
    reinstall operating system
    ask for help in https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod-issues/issues/955

• @Sun:

Things to try:
    reinstall gmod
    windows system restore to before you were crashing
    update microsoft directx
    check with a different graphics card if possible
    reinstall operating system
    ask for help in https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod-issues/issues/955

I guess i’ll just post the crash dumbs in that thread for a better luck and meanwhile try the other solutions you suggested. Thanks

• I’m also having problems with using console, it crashes every time. I’ve tried reinstalling, verifying (which found 2 files missing), and disabling addons (i dont have any addons anyways). Any clue how i can fix this extremely annoying problem, I cant bind anything, and my f3 key now opens chat for some weird reason.

• If you’re running on directX8 then i’d suggest switching back to 9 till the next update. If that isn’t the case; analyze and defrag your c drive, update your drivers and update windows. You can also try forcing gmod to run with directX 9.5 by changing your launch options to ‘-dxlevel 95’ or something. Good luck.

Edit: Also, try verifying your mounted games. ’ hl2, hl2 ep1/ep2 ( try unmounting both of them aswell ) and css’  if this issue still occurs please let me know and i’ll either contact _kilburn or garry. If any of these solutions helped post which one, other people might still have the same issue you’re having.

• I was using lower directX versions due to old laptop (wanted better performance), which was the reason of the crashes. Use directX 9.0 and you should be ok. No need to add anything at the gmod launch options; it should be set to 9 by default and you should be good to go with console access during multiplayer.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.