A Roman-Time Themed Map [DEVELOPMENT THREAD][NEEDS OPINIONS]

• Hello Guys Limesta here with a map Development Thread
    I’d first like to say that I made a terrible first impression with the MiniPutt Map, along with that map being poorly designed aesthetically as well as its play-flow.

The map has no official Layout, but I currently have a simplistic look Here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdizszungkciklf/Roman_Map_Layout.png

In this picture, the red players would spawn up around 7 feet above the ground on a ledge.
    Also The speed balls would be atop some pillars where you have to throw the ball to.
    The Ball Goal would be something like Lost Temple.
    Also Blue Side Would mirror.

I would like some help with the design of the obstacles with opinions and such.

Also, Here are some pictures of what I have for the aesthetics, just to show that I actually care about this and that I am really working on it.

I am noting that the textures are placeholders so to make it look nicer I used Filled-Textures in my 3-D Viewport.

I will put updates as comments below. Just know this is still in early development.

• Hello Guys Limesta here with a map Development Thread
    I’d first like to say that I made a terrible first impression with the MiniPutt Map, along with that map being poorly designed aesthetically as well as its play-flow.

The map has no official Layout, but I currently have a simplistic look Here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdizszungkciklf/Roman_Map_Layout.png

In this picture, the red players would spawn up around 7 feet above the ground on a ledge.
    Also The speed balls would be atop some pillars where you have to throw the ball to.
    The Ball Goal would be something like Lost Temple.
    Also Blue Side Would mirror.

I would like some help with the design of the obstacles with opinions and such.

Also, Here are some pictures of what I have for the aesthetics, just to show that I actually care about this and that I am really working on it.

I am noting that the textures are placeholders so to make it look nicer I used Filled-Textures in my 3-D Viewport.

I will put updates as comments below. Just know this is still in early development.

• Put a clip on those stairs(or a player clip).  Nobody wants choppy running.  Come up with an innovative layout or something that works well with a theme that players can use different strategies on.  Nobody wants a one sided game where first grab determines the outcome.  Take screen caps after an hour of working on the map to show you are committed, not five minutes.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

Put a clip on those stairs(or a player clip).  Nobody wants choppy running.  Come up with an innovative layout or something that works well with a theme that players can use different strategies on.  Nobody wants a one sided game where first grab determines the outcome.  Take screen caps after an hour of working on the map to show you are committed, not five minutes.

Yeah, Clips on stairs would work well, I have one, I just hid it for the pictures.

Also does this type of roofing match the theme?

• Sure.  Themes are great, but they are no replacement for proper level planning.

• yes that is true, That is why I was thinking of a sort of goal that rotates slowly, so if anyone has the ball, there would be around 4 seconds of open time for them to shoot and 2 seconds of closed time, having them wait a second or so before they fire.
    Also Update Image: I got the basic outer design of the spawn building finished, I think its a nice look, but feel free to judge.

That little gap you barely see up on-top will be a jump-pad exit from the building so the team who spawns there has a way up, as I plan to have the goal Over the building.

• Try to keep the players in the action.  Large areas seem cool and sometimes are, but don’t make too many tough corners or stupid easy spots to defend.  My preference would be to make the interior an octagon to keep the sides nearly equidistant from any point, but still being somewhat spacious and angular.  Keeps players from hiding behind walls that can’t be checked and also keeps them in the game instead of on the sidelines.  That’s just a preference of mine though.

Edit:  Also, put some space behind the pillars so players can weave on even ground around them for some interesting chase-action.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

Edit:  Also, put some space behind the pillars so players can weave on even ground around them for some interesting chase-action.

Yeah I noticed they seemed a bit clustered to the wall so I pushed them, I was also thinking maybe I could have something like this for the ball spawn? Or I could put 2 rings that rotate slowly but would offer a challenging shot and it could be the goal. I know its up to me, but I would love some input! Also if anyone but Chi Sees this feel free to put in opinions!
    Oh and if it was the goal then players could spawn atop of those pillars

(and dont worry I didn’t delete the old building, I just moved it over a bit)

• The not-octagon is great, but I meant just as filler in the corners of that structure you had previously.  It was great looking, geometry-wise, before.

Edit:  Just saw the caption

• @ChiRaeDisk:

The not-octagon is great,

Edit:  Just saw the caption

Yeah the building is a prefab, but I know what you mean, I am going to expand the platform to include 2 of these guys left & right
    I will be taking a break for the day, besides I’ve been getting some funny compile errors and I need to see hat that’s about.

EDIT: BTW I made it a 16gon or 12 gon now, I didnt count
    //EDIT 28-gon

• reminds me of de_atlantis

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/164381

• @ritzbits:

reminds me of de_atlantis

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/164381

Wow, now that I notice the similarities!

Also Update: Fixed my problem, too many minor ridges, so I made it all into Func_detail for optimization

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.