Space Engineers - Starbound in 3D, but good

• This game is using Steam’s Early Access program. Currently, the price is $20.(Click the picture for the steam store location)

Space engineers is a game about building, maintaining, and battling with space ships.

The game doesn’t really use voxels - instead, it uses voxel-like objects, which can bend and break with enough force. You can bore a hole through a giant cube and instead of seeing corners of unbroken voxel blocks you’ll see a smooth tunnel.

There are currently two gamemodes, and quite a few features. In the Survival gamemode, you start on 1 out of 6 possible beginning scenarios. You have a magically infinite supply of oxygen, but you can’t build a giant golden dick straight off the bat. In the Creative gamemode, everything is a few clicks and button presses away - it’s up to you to decide what you build or destroy.

The game also includes multiplayer - with a few options for servers (though they’re limited - 16 player max, though this might increase in the future). Offline, Password, Steam friends only, or public. Weapons can be turned on or off, and if you’re playing creative you can also copy/paste ships.

Features list, stolen from the Facepunch thread and edited to remove redundancy:

• Drilling / harvesting
    • Manual building in survival mode – use welder to assemble blocks from components; use grinder to disassemble and reuse components
    • Deformable and destructible objects – real proportions, mass, storage capacity, integrity
    • Building blocks - light armor (cube, slope, corner), heavy armor, interior wall, interior light, small cockpit, large cockpit, cargo container(s), drill, ore detector, gravity generator, nuclear reactor, thruster, gyroscope, assembler, medical room, magnetic landing gears, spotlight, catwalk, cover wall, stairs, ramp, window(s), pillar
    • Magnetic landing gears – attach your small ship on a mother ship
    • Electricity – all blocks in a grid are wired in an electrical and computer network; electricity is generated by nuclear reactors
    • Gravity – produced by gravity generators
    • Rotors – create rotating objects
    • Refinery – process harvested ore to ingots
    • Assembler – manufacture components from ingots
    • Symmetry/Mirroring – useful in creative mode when building structures that require symmetry
    • Weapons – automatic rifle, small and large explosive warheads, small ship gatling gun, small ship missile launcher
    • World management – generate new worlds, “save as” to multiple copies, auto-save every 5 minutes (can be turned on/off), edit world settings
    • 32-bit & 64-bit – 64-bit version expands the amount of objects, ships and asteroids (almost unlimited)
    • Steam Workshop – share your creations with the Community (upload and download worlds)
    • Modding - world files, shaders, textures, 3D models
    • Localized interface (work in progress) – Czech, Danish, Dutch, German, Icelandic, Polish, Spanish-Spain, Spanish-Latin America, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese-Brazil, Estonian, Norwegian, Swedish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Russian
    • Custom Colors for blocks – Customize your creations by using any color you like
    • Actual gravity inside ships – Now you can record shitty Star Trek fan episodes

This features list changes every week or so because this game is updated often, with new features usually around a week or so.

• This game is using Steam’s Early Access program. Currently, the price is $20.(Click the picture for the steam store location)

Space engineers is a game about building, maintaining, and battling with space ships.

The game doesn’t really use voxels - instead, it uses voxel-like objects, which can bend and break with enough force. You can bore a hole through a giant cube and instead of seeing corners of unbroken voxel blocks you’ll see a smooth tunnel.

There are currently two gamemodes, and quite a few features. In the Survival gamemode, you start on 1 out of 6 possible beginning scenarios. You have a magically infinite supply of oxygen, but you can’t build a giant golden dick straight off the bat. In the Creative gamemode, everything is a few clicks and button presses away - it’s up to you to decide what you build or destroy.

The game also includes multiplayer - with a few options for servers (though they’re limited - 16 player max, though this might increase in the future). Offline, Password, Steam friends only, or public. Weapons can be turned on or off, and if you’re playing creative you can also copy/paste ships.

Features list, stolen from the Facepunch thread and edited to remove redundancy:

• Drilling / harvesting
    • Manual building in survival mode – use welder to assemble blocks from components; use grinder to disassemble and reuse components
    • Deformable and destructible objects – real proportions, mass, storage capacity, integrity
    • Building blocks - light armor (cube, slope, corner), heavy armor, interior wall, interior light, small cockpit, large cockpit, cargo container(s), drill, ore detector, gravity generator, nuclear reactor, thruster, gyroscope, assembler, medical room, magnetic landing gears, spotlight, catwalk, cover wall, stairs, ramp, window(s), pillar
    • Magnetic landing gears – attach your small ship on a mother ship
    • Electricity – all blocks in a grid are wired in an electrical and computer network; electricity is generated by nuclear reactors
    • Gravity – produced by gravity generators
    • Rotors – create rotating objects
    • Refinery – process harvested ore to ingots
    • Assembler – manufacture components from ingots
    • Symmetry/Mirroring – useful in creative mode when building structures that require symmetry
    • Weapons – automatic rifle, small and large explosive warheads, small ship gatling gun, small ship missile launcher
    • World management – generate new worlds, “save as” to multiple copies, auto-save every 5 minutes (can be turned on/off), edit world settings
    • 32-bit & 64-bit – 64-bit version expands the amount of objects, ships and asteroids (almost unlimited)
    • Steam Workshop – share your creations with the Community (upload and download worlds)
    • Modding - world files, shaders, textures, 3D models
    • Localized interface (work in progress) – Czech, Danish, Dutch, German, Icelandic, Polish, Spanish-Spain, Spanish-Latin America, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese-Brazil, Estonian, Norwegian, Swedish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Russian
    • Custom Colors for blocks – Customize your creations by using any color you like
    • Actual gravity inside ships – Now you can record shitty Star Trek fan episodes

This features list changes every week or so because this game is updated often, with new features usually around a week or so.

• It’s really underwhelming

• Sounds a lot like Star Drive, but in 3D.

The dev, Zero, said “I’ll finish it, I sware on me mum!” then got his “Release” money and fucked off into infinity.

Looks fun but I’m afraid it might run like shit because of unoptimization and it looks limited at the moment. Seems to me like “shoot other ship before it shoots you”.

• It’s so hard to grief in this game compared to most and I am having a hard time even finding griefers.  The heavy armor is rather robust and difficult to setup on certain ships.  The starting ship on one scenario is easily obliterated.  I’ve set up nets of heavy blocks before and they prove to be amazing at deterring every collision possible.  The rockets aren’t cheap to make either so good luck spamming those.  Everything needs to be mined for that can be potentially dangerous.  There doesn’t seem to be a trump card in battle, except for superior hull design and better mobility.  The game some how feels like it has an endgame goal without actually having one.  Also, less 12 yos on the servers.  They don’t seem to have basic efficient resource management skills and have no good way of griefing other than ripping tiny pieces of objects out and dying.  The game takes patience, but is so rewarding the whole way through and doesn’t bog itself down with useless and counter intuitive oxygen and hunger meters.

So basically, everyone tends to work together on any survival server and it is rather fun to build working ships that perform well.

The only real complaint I have is the net-code.  Check your in/out using shift+F11 and you’ll see… along with the fuckton of noticeable lag when the ships are moving above 20 m/s on some servers.  It’s only noticeable really when you’re outside the ships though.  Ship-to-ship combat is amazing so far and is only getting better.

RAMMING SPEED!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_Jy_s16A8

• You’re telling me the first thing you did when you picked up this game was to figure out ways to ruin it for other people?

• To see if it was worth investing any time building something, yes.
    Also, it wasn’t the first thing I did.  Where did you gather that from?
    The heavy net defended our station through 3 barrages of small ships.  They were all destroyed and killed their drivers on impact.  We used the ships for resources.

• It was the first thing you touched on when you started your post, so one can only assume you started from the beginning.

• I wanted to make a good argument to get the game when the topic as of late about some games is if you can grief easily.

• Are you people really having fun with this

• What part of it was underwhelming?

• Alright, bought it, played it for about 8 hours on “Lone Survivor” to build stuff from scratch, and got the basics of it.

Pretty fun, the only gripe I have with it is that physics, especially when you’re mining, have a tendency to kill you instantly. That, and gold is super fucking hard to find, making any kind of technology building hard to come by.

I’ve only fucked with small ships right now, and the ship I did make was an ugly box-type thing with a drill on the front of it, two gatling guns, and eight missile launchers that all have no ammo. Makes mining easy but it handles like shit, and the aforementioned gold problem makes it difficult to get thruster components.

• @ChiRaeDisk:

What part of it was underwhelming?

The wonky mechanics and the fact that it’s not better than your average Spacebuild server (Which is not much to to be proud), it feels like Minecraft in space but with barely any mechanics to be able to have fun

• I have no idea why I bought this game. I made a large ship and did nothing with it (you couldnt). Then I made what looked like a massive set of dumbbells and threw them into an asteroid because I really couldn’t be bothered with making a Deathsphere®

I’ve also recently started to value my free time.

• did you try to make a big stick ship and see how fast you can make it spin?

• Finally figured out conveyers and how to not make a small ship look like ass, mounted four drills on it and it has become the destructor of planets.

Then a meteor shower slammed the ship, destroying more than half of it, slammed the refinery twice, destroying it, and took a hole out of the medical room’s armor.

• in earlier versions I made a shitty ship called a SORD

its basically just a really long ram meant to tear through a ship like a boar spear

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3300314916690346805/457470A4A7AB14C00FED8A2E86427FB10D4ED99D/

it’ll only ever end up being good if they manage to make servers that can handle large space battles

• I can only imagine that they’re working on the net-code as a primary project while adding these nifty little updates on the side.  The dev team hasn’t let this game go downhill yet.

• not to mention the actual game code is pretty shitty as well. i put like 4 of those big rocket launchers on my ship and held down my mouse button and it crashed after like 5 seconds because of too many missiles

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.