Random Crashes

• Greetings,
    over the past few weeks my Garry’s mod has been crashing in the game mode “zombie survival”, made by William “Jetboom” Moodhe.
    I browsed his website and forums looking for a solution but nothing have worked so far.

It only happens in this game mode and it acts in a really odd way:
    -it may crash up to over 30 times a day, and sometimes it doesn’t crash at all for a 2-3 days straight.
    -it may crash when I’m walking through props (less than 5) and sometimes it doesn’t crash even though I walk through more than 10 props.
    -it may crash upon creating a server or joining one, or it may crash after 10-20 minutes.

Some of the solutions I’ve found on the internet:
    Get a new computer (not viable)
    Increase the VRAM of your computer (not viable)
    Set the game to the lowest graphic settings (done)
    Close everything else but the game (done)
    Disable all the addons (done)
    Disable multicore rendering (done)
    Disabling 'Post processing" (done)
    Verify integrity of game cache (done).
    Reinstalling the game (done)
    Run it as administrator (done)

The download links are the files created after every crash, all of them are from the same server, I had to deleted the other 300 I had, so I only have these ones right now but I have the same problem on every server.

https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…2_48_56C0.mdmp
    https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…4_41_10C0.mdmp
    https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…11_3_57C0.mdmp

Or in case you don’t want to download them:

Dump Summary

Dump File: hl2_140122_crash_2014_4_1T4_41_10C0.mdmp : C:\Users\stefano\Desktop\Inst\Steam\SteamApps\comm on\GarrysMod\hl2_140122_crash_2014_4_1T4_41_10C0.m dmp
    Last Write Time: 31/03/2014 10:41:13 p.m.
    Process Name: hl2.exe : C:\Users\stefano\Desktop\Inst\Steam\steamapps\comm on\GarrysMod\hl2.exe
    Process Architecture: x86
    Exception Code: 0xC0000005
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Heap Information: Not Present

I’m running Windows Vista SP 2
    3062MB RAM
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPU), ~2.7GHz
    DirectX 11 Installed.
    Running Gmod on DirectX 8

Update:
    Changing the ‘Playback’ audio settings to ‘16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality).’ (done) - Keeps crashing.
    2nd Update:
    Turning off the UAC and restarting. (done) - Keeps crashing.

• Greetings,
    over the past few weeks my Garry’s mod has been crashing in the game mode “zombie survival”, made by William “Jetboom” Moodhe.
    I browsed his website and forums looking for a solution but nothing have worked so far.

It only happens in this game mode and it acts in a really odd way:
    -it may crash up to over 30 times a day, and sometimes it doesn’t crash at all for a 2-3 days straight.
    -it may crash when I’m walking through props (less than 5) and sometimes it doesn’t crash even though I walk through more than 10 props.
    -it may crash upon creating a server or joining one, or it may crash after 10-20 minutes.

Some of the solutions I’ve found on the internet:
    Get a new computer (not viable)
    Increase the VRAM of your computer (not viable)
    Set the game to the lowest graphic settings (done)
    Close everything else but the game (done)
    Disable all the addons (done)
    Disable multicore rendering (done)
    Disabling 'Post processing" (done)
    Verify integrity of game cache (done).
    Reinstalling the game (done)
    Run it as administrator (done)

The download links are the files created after every crash, all of them are from the same server, I had to deleted the other 300 I had, so I only have these ones right now but I have the same problem on every server.

https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…2_48_56C0.mdmp
    https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…4_41_10C0.mdmp
    https://cdn.deskpro.com/files/603/14…11_3_57C0.mdmp

Or in case you don’t want to download them:

Dump Summary

Dump File: hl2_140122_crash_2014_4_1T4_41_10C0.mdmp : C:\Users\stefano\Desktop\Inst\Steam\SteamApps\comm on\GarrysMod\hl2_140122_crash_2014_4_1T4_41_10C0.m dmp
    Last Write Time: 31/03/2014 10:41:13 p.m.
    Process Name: hl2.exe : C:\Users\stefano\Desktop\Inst\Steam\steamapps\comm on\GarrysMod\hl2.exe
    Process Architecture: x86
    Exception Code: 0xC0000005
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Heap Information: Not Present

I’m running Windows Vista SP 2
    3062MB RAM
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPU), ~2.7GHz
    DirectX 11 Installed.
    Running Gmod on DirectX 8

Update:
    Changing the ‘Playback’ audio settings to ‘16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality).’ (done) - Keeps crashing.
    2nd Update:
    Turning off the UAC and restarting. (done) - Keeps crashing.

• When I was running Windows XP I had a big problem with crashes. Upgraded to Windows 7 and they went away. Vista is a pretty bad OS.

• Those links deny access, upload the mdmp files to a better filesharing site like dropbox or filesmelt.

Do you know when exactly you crash, what steps you do on the game before this happens, does it only happen on the zs gamemode and no others?
    Do you crash on initial spawn?
    Pressing esc or opening the console?

imo you should just run the game in dx9, +mat_dxlevel 95 in launch options.

• “Running Gmod on DirectX 8”

Don’t.

• @Box:

Those links deny access, upload the mdmp files to a better filesharing site like dropbox or filesmelt.

Do you know when exactly you crash, what steps you do on the game before this happens, does it only happen on the zs gamemode and no others?
    Do you crash on initial spawn?
    Pressing esc or opening the console?

imo you should just run the game in dx9, +mat_dxlevel 95 in launch options.

New links:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt3pli3bld9obfn/hl2_140419_crash_2014_4_21T18_37_50C0.mdmp
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqtm4ijlk03496x/hl2_140419_crash_2014_4_21T17_59_18C0.mdmp
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz2ury4ohbeghuv/hl2_140419_crash_2014_4_21T17_51_6C0.mdmp
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwqerreegdhhk8e/hl2_140419_crash_2014_4_21T17_10_18C0.mdmp

It happens at random times…
    sometimes when I’m going through props, sometimes after buying a weapon/tool/etc, sometimes when I’m facing a wall, when I’m in the zombie team, when I’m in the human team, after 10 minutes of joining, after 30 second of joining, after 3 hours of joining.

It only happens in ZS.
    It has never happened after pressing ESC or opening the console.

@PureJeenyus:

When I was running Windows XP I had a big problem with crashes. Upgraded to Windows 7 and they went away. Vista is a pretty bad OS.

My pc is kinda picky, there are many reasons why I can’t format it, so I’m stuck with this OS.

• Intel®  G35 Express Chipset Family

It would be best to have a dedicated graphics card.

• @Box:

It would be best to have a dedicated graphics card.

My pc is all-in-one, I can’t install a graphics card to it :/

• @quierotacobell:

My pc is all-in-one, I can’t install a graphics card to it :/

It’s not all-in-one if you can’t modify it.

that said, I was suffering from random crashes, even BSODs on L4D and Portal 2, until I upgraded away from intel’s “amazing” graphics.

• @commandhat:

It’s not all-in-one if you can’t modify it.

that said, I was suffering from random crashes, even BSODs on L4D and Portal 2, until I upgraded away from intel’s “amazing” graphics.

Of course not, I can’t modify it because its a all-in-one.
    I could change the current RAM cards to better ones, but since it doesn’t have the space in the monitor nor the slot for it, I can’t add a graphics card to it.

And so far, with all the games I’ve played, and all the gmod game modes I’ve played, ZS is the only one so far that have crashed.

• It’s not our fault you’re living in the year 2007. The solution to this problem is to upgrade.

• Pretty sure we had dedicated graphics cards, and in vast majority, in 2007.

That integrated card doesn’t play nice with the source engine. Your best course of action is a dedicated video card. You can also try giving the dumps to killburn/garry and they might be able to tell me what exactly is causing it.

• @AtomiC:

It’s not our fault you’re living in the year 2007. The solution to this problem is to upgrade.

I can play without problem most of the games, even team fortress 2 and portal 2 with higher settings than in gmod, and so far this is the only game mode that have made my gmod crash, so don’t blame my ‘compusaurus’.

@JetBoom:

Pretty sure we had dedicated graphics cards, and in vast majority, in 2007.

That integrated card doesn’t play nice with the source engine. Your best course of action is a dedicated video card. You can also try giving the dumps to killburn/garry and they might be able to tell me what exactly is causing it.

I sent the files in a ticket to the facepunch support 3 weeks ago, so far they have replied 2 times asking if the problem solved itself already.
    I also asked in 2 other forums, in one of them I got 1 single reply telling me to set the game in the lowest settings, the other one had not a single reply in the lapse of 1 month so the admin closed it.

And who is ‘killburn’?

• _kilburn is the new active gmod developer, while garry works mainly on rust.

Make a new issue here, on the gmod github, github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod-issues, hopefully he can explain the source of the crashes.

• @quierotacobell:

My pc is kinda picky, there are many reasons why I can’t format it, so I’m stuck with this OS.

I hear that a lot from people who are scared of losing keys/drivers and feel like spending an hour or two to install an operating system and get it working is too much of a demand.

As for the graphics card thing, find out if your board has a pci slot sticking out the back inside the casing for some reason.  If it does, you can use an extender to install a graphics card that doesn’t require additional power cables.
    http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Express-Extender-Flexible-Extension/dp/B008BZBFTG

To find the keys on your system, and the hardware information, I recommend Belarc advisor.
    To find all the extra information about your system, I recommend Speccy.

Hopefully we solved the os issue here that you were having, and possibly the hardware issue(although doubtful)

• @ChiRaeDisk:

I hear that a lot from people who are scared of losing keys/drivers and feel like spending an hour or two to install an operating system and get it working is too much of a demand.

As for the graphics card thing, find out if your board has a pci slot sticking out the back inside the casing for some reason.  If it does, you can use an extender to install a graphics card that doesn’t require additional power cables.
    http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Express-Extender-Flexible-Extension/dp/B008BZBFTG

To find the keys on your system, and the hardware information, I recommend Belarc advisor.
    To find all the extra information about your system, I recommend Speccy.

Hopefully we solved the os issue here that you were having, and possibly the hardware issue(although doubtful)

I got my keys written on a notebook, my drivers are backed up in a USB stick, because a while ago, I installed a different OS in a partition of the hdd just in case something went wrong, everything went wrong…
    at first it ‘worked’ with the exception of the screen resolution, my currently maximum is 1680 x 1050, that time the maximum was 800 x 600. The second time I turned on the pc I got the “blue screen of death” almost instantly, then the third time I turned it on the pc wouldn’t show any message or do anything, it didn’t recognize the CD drive, I had to buy an USB stick with enough memory to store an OS and ask a friend of mine to get me a version of Vista to reinstall the OS from the USB.

I’ve tried to install a different OS, that’s why I’m telling you its not a good idea.

And I’ve opened my pc before for cleaning and maintenance so I’ve seen the motherboard, there’s no PCI slot, its basically a big heavy laptop without a keyboard attached to it.

• Sounds like you may have installed conflicting drivers or software.  Some manufacturers make windows 7 specific drivers and such for 32 bit or 64 bit computers.  There shouldn’t be a hardware limitation with the components you described.  I’ve had much older computers, that were barely able to handle Vista, run 7.  It should even take some of, if not all, the drivers from vista if no windows 7 drivers are released for the hardware, because of the similarity in design.

Also, could just be a bad install.  It happens more frequently than you might think.

• I have installed a SO many times before that, its not something new for me.

• @quierotacobell:

I can play without problem most of the games, even team fortress 2 and portal 2 with higher settings than in gmod, and so far this is the only game mode that have made my gmod crash, so don’t blame my ‘compusaurus’.

You must be the only one still running on a directx version older than windows xp and I know for a fact that people have problems with directx 8 crashing.
    I am going to blame your computer.

• My pc has DirectX 11, and I’m currently running gmod on DirectX 9 and it keeps crashing.

But its not only me, a friend of mine (with a pc way better than mine) usually closes gmod between maps while we play zombie survival because the game mode causes his gmod to crash.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.