Cosmos Discussion

• Has anyone been watching the new show “Cosmos”?  Despite Neil deGrasse Tyson’s glorious 'frostache and the sometimes hilarious CGI, it’s a really good show.

It touches on some really interesting topics, felt some people on Nox may have been watching and might want to have a discussion thread on it.

• Has anyone been watching the new show “Cosmos”?  Despite Neil deGrasse Tyson’s glorious 'frostache and the sometimes hilarious CGI, it’s a really good show.

It touches on some really interesting topics, felt some people on Nox may have been watching and might want to have a discussion thread on it.

• ive watched the old cosmos: a personal voyage on VHS hosted by carl sagan. i did year like few  years ago that neil was going to pick the show up. how true is it to the original? ill watch it some time because i absolutely loved a personal voyage.

• I haven’t seen the original, but I imagine they tried to stay true to the original.  Basically Neil takes his ship all around space, shows us black holes, stars, atoms, etc.

I’ve learned a lot from it so far, I’m looking forward to more episodes.

• oh so i guess its more about space stuff then? if i remember correctly, the original cosmos tried to cover everything, even the history of man in science, biology, morals, etc. also if you like sort of stuff, i could suggest you try watching “the ascent of man” which is basically a precursor to carls sagan cosmos minus the space stuff.

carls sagan cosmos is from 1980 while jacob bronowskis “the ascent of man” is from around 1960-1970 or so. he covers more about the history of man, biology, history and development of math and science. the format of the show looks like something they would show you in elementary school science class on a VHS, so its pretty easy to get bored.

thanks for bringing it up, im going to start watching this show now. i dont know where i would be today without watching the first two shows ive mentioned

• So far the episodes have been centered around space, but last night’s episode was more on light and what light is.  They tied light back to space by saying you can identify the contents of a star by using a type of spectroscope, which was actually really cool how they described it.  Also I hear they are trying to make it understandable by a wider audience by keeping the show a bit more laid-back than last time, with a bit more humor than Sagan’s version.

But so far yes, I think they are trying to keep it more centered around space.

• i just finished watching the first episode. its VERY loyal to its precursor in the idea that its trying to emphasize the importance of science, free thinking and philosophy just like the two other shows. the CGI and animation is lovely and isnt done in a way that makes this show some fancy crap eye candy ratingbating. i suggest going to the previous cosmos if you are tired of waiting for episodes though. its the exact same thing as this one. thanks for showing me this

• It seems pretty basic so far, I haven’t learned anything new from it. I feel like it’s geared towards people that have never taken any science class. Still entertaining I guess although I’m not that fond of the host.

• Just sat through the first episode and have the same thoughts as above.

While I get that this is supposed to be “my first cosmology”, it’s still painfully slow. You could read through most of the key articles on the history of cosmology in any encyclopedia faster than it takes to watch the first episode. It might be a little harder, but at least you’ve saved some time at the end to do something you actually have an active interest in.

I don’t know anything about the American Education system, is this sort of stuff compulsory to learn at 15/16 like it is here?

• It’s a lot like the American education system.  It tries to appeal to the widest audience it can: keeping it simple and understandable by starting from the basics.  I agree they show info that the average person who actually listened in school probably already knows.  Anyways, I’ve been enjoying it so far and have learned a few new things.

The first episode did cover a very broad topic, but the episodes seem to be narrowing down to more specific subjects.  Hopefully they show some good info that the average high-school/college grad doesn’t already know

• looks like i was a dumbass and watched episode 5 and thought it was the first episode. after rewatching the first real episode i have to come to agree with you.

i dont think you can say you didnt learn anything from the show. while you can safely say you are adapt at the subject, i find that the show refines small things i havent known before. but generally it doesnt try to teach someone knowledgeable anything new, but appeal to a public that wasnt involved in these subjects and try to draw them in. however you can always learn something new

i cant think of anyone significantly better they could have gotten to host the show…i just hope you werent expecting them to get someone who would oneup sagan or bronowski, lol

while im usually really hardcore and judgmental regarding the quality of sequels and how they fare up compared to their precursors, ill let this one slip. the original cosmos was so good that it will be unfair comparing these two

• Making anyone whose a member of a religious institution obviously evil was a nice touch.

• jh2.0 why are you deng xiaoping

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.