Retro teamplay popularity

• Isn’t it time to somehow revamp this gamemode? i swear this is one of the best modes ever created on Gmod, and it’s truly a shame that it is dying at this time?
    Isn’t Gmod potential and playerbase wasted on all those piece of crap RP and TTT servers?
    This was your first and best work guys, don’t let it die like that.

For example, look at Morbus, the old Parasite mode: it looked shit, yet it played almost the same, so it was easily killed by trouble on terrorist town at the time (that also won an underserved moty). But now it has been revamped with new models, improved HUD and some fancy stuff, so now more people play it.

I’m not saying you should do the same, but i cannot just look die the piece of gold that was, and still is, retro teamplay, without saying a word, i just want to say that all this work shouldn’t just be trashed like that just because it’s not popular, if it’s not popular, make it so.

• Isn’t it time to somehow revamp this gamemode? i swear this is one of the best modes ever created on Gmod, and it’s truly a shame that it is dying at this time?
    Isn’t Gmod potential and playerbase wasted on all those piece of crap RP and TTT servers?
    This was your first and best work guys, don’t let it die like that.

For example, look at Morbus, the old Parasite mode: it looked shit, yet it played almost the same, so it was easily killed by trouble on terrorist town at the time (that also won an underserved moty). But now it has been revamped with new models, improved HUD and some fancy stuff, so now more people play it.

I’m not saying you should do the same, but i cannot just look die the piece of gold that was, and still is, retro teamplay, without saying a word, i just want to say that all this work shouldn’t just be trashed like that just because it’s not popular, if it’s not popular, make it so.

• More game modes.

• I’m too inexperienced with lua to revamp the whole gamemode and Jet is too buys focusing on the top dogs like ZS and EFT for that to happen. There’s no shame in letting this die if nobody plays it anymore.

• Have ye looked into the vpad bug?

• I was working with Extreme56 and some other people on a complete revamp of it but I’ve never properly got the motivation and on top of that Ryan and me are busy with University

• i think this gamemode was made too slow, personally. It takes ages to kill someone as wizard, spamming teleport is far slower then an assassin with haste, an entire team, half of it crafters, focused on defense, is going to make the gamemode last forever, what the hell is the point in the wasps now, etc.

I’d say you should revert:

• The vehicles. As much complaining there was about the hovercycle, it was an amazing distraction that lasted a while for other team members to win. There’s also no goddamn way to control the wasp now.

• (at least a few of) the spells bring projectiles. Sun beam being a projectile makes absolutely no sense when a beam still emits from you, plus players bad at prediction can only play melee classes due to this change.

• Being able to select every gamemode every round. Make it like the map selection, where voting a certain game mode too many times locks it so you need to pick a different one.

• Leech removal. Not death beam though, a few rounds against 3 sniper w/ machina on tf2 convinced me otherwise.

• A few spells were balanced around being powerful, but slow – or fast but did little damage. The projectiles change makes them feel like fire bolt alternatives rather then actual spells. Either revert the projectiles change or give these spells, such as sparkler, a more unique effect.

• Warrior guarding removal. Being able to respond to a warrior rush with 3 warriors or so that could guard was amazing, not even mentioning the fact it felt slightly more like an actual sword duel.

• @commandhat:

i think this gamemode was made too slow, personally. It takes ages to kill someone as wizard, spamming teleport is far slower then an assassin with haste, an entire team, half of it crafters, focused on defense, is going to make the gamemode last forever, what the hell is the point in the wasps now, etc.

I’d say you should revert:

• The vehicles. As much complaining there was about the hovercycle, it was an amazing distraction that lasted a while for other team members to win. There’s also no goddamn way to control the wasp now.

• (at least a few of) the spells bring projectiles. Sun beam being a projectile makes absolutely no sense when a beam still emits from you, plus players bad at prediction can only play melee classes due to this change.

• Being able to select every gamemode every round. Make it like the map selection, where voting a certain game mode too many times locks it so you need to pick a different one.

• Leech removal. Not death beam though, a few rounds against 3 sniper w/ machina on tf2 convinced me otherwise.

• A few spells were balanced around being powerful, but slow – or fast but did little damage. The projectiles change makes them feel like fire bolt alternatives rather then actual spells. Either revert the projectiles change or give these spells, such as sparkler, a more unique effect.

• Warrior guarding removal. Being able to respond to a warrior rush with 3 warriors or so that could guard was amazing, not even mentioning the fact it felt slightly more like an actual sword duel.

Teamplay doesn’t need balancing. It needs a revamp. You can tweak stuff, add classes, remove stuff. But the end result is still going to be a deathmatch with spells and cool explosions. Times change. This is an “OLD” gamemode. The hype is over. We’re not gonna get any more players.

There was a time where we could get away with the current state of teamplay. In 2008-2010 there really wasn’t any other “cool” gamemodes to play.

A problem we have with teamplay right now is that we are living inside this close minded bubble we made back when teamplay started. The result of this is the spawning of the new classes that are just another addition to the “things you should look out for or else you will instadie” pool.

This general “what teamplay really needs is…” attitude needs to stop. A new base needs to be implemented all together.
    Or just kill it. Nobody comes to noxiousnet for teamplay anymore. Zombie survival and eft are our signature gamemodes now.

• I dream of the day where you can battle against NPCs or AI-controlled mechs. The problem with RTP is that it’s very competitive - much more so than other Nox gamemodes. ZS, ASS, SMB and EFT you don’t mind as much if you lose. If RTP was mixed with a TF2 Mann vs. Machine, I would guise it would be much more successful since everybody would be cooperating and there wouldn’t be any loser.

what’s popular with RTP are the vehicles for sure. newbies love to craft; but they aren’t able to when elite players are on the opposing team.

ehh

• @commandhat:

i think this gamemode was made too slow, personally

Fights in RTP are over faster than fights in any competitive arena shooter I can think of. You basically just die instantly unless you’re playing one of the high health classes or have forcefield/heal, and even then it’s just a matter of seconds if you’ve got the right counter-class. Newer players don’t seem to understand what’s going on when I run up to them and axe them for half their health.

• Pretty much most of what AtomiC said, the mass of GMod right now doesn’t want to take time to learn a new game mode, they want something inviting that they can just join and play and feel familiar with

Also Commandhat are you saying that twitch/reaction based combat is better than longer lasting combat actually engages you really

• Guaranteed it would be better off with only 6 spells each based on cooldowns, not including common-pool abilities. We moba now.

• Call it Neo Teamplay

• @Samuel:

Also Commandhat are you saying that twitch/reaction based combat is better than longer lasting combat actually engages you really

Yes, I like what you don’t like. Is that an issue?

I was going to put a rant here but I realized it’d be useless because I’m apparently the only person who doesn’t play moba’s.
    Bye teamplay, hello League of Legends 2.

• @Samuel:

that twitch/reaction based combat is better than longer lasting combat actually engages you really

Are you saying it isnt?

Anyways, I dont play MOBAs ASSFAGGOTS and I was born too late to truly experience the golden age of arena shooters, but I have played a lot of quake live. I still think that it could benefit from becoming more like a MOBA. It just needs to keep a balance that keeps combat fast paced and fun.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.