Fagbook buys oculus

• And half a year ago, I paid real money for a dev kit. :wacko:

I am a fuck-up

• I cant find words to express what I am feeling

• You’re indicating right but you’re steering left oculus.They used the word magical in the press release. Fuck.

But honestly, if oculus wants to be anything more than a short lived accessory, then it needs this sort of investment. This is, in a way, good for VR technology, neutral to gamers and bad for john carmack’s ideas on open source.

• modern western world is already the farthest thing that can be from a biological human designation, and some fat neckbeard geeks want to make it even worse. as if we don’t have enough mental problems already.
    i also hope jewgle glass will fail as soon as possible

• Who are you quoting?  Yourself?

Honestly, it isn’t technology that is to blame for any problems a society has.  It’s more of a lack of philosophy and understanding of common social restrictions that are normally there for a reason.  Technology is great.

• :squashedmario:

• But… Valve’s vr is superior.

• at first I hoped that the purchase would at least increase the spread of vr, then I realized I had terrible experience with most many things that are mainstream products designed to appeal to the bigger audience.
    Cant wait for the next Farmville with friends in 3d, next era of data mining and microtransactions.

Now would be the perfect time to start up a competitor product, since valve fired most of their vr employees and sonys offerings may be ps4 only.

I hope Gabe changes his mind and finish valve vr

• @Sun:

at first I hoped that the purchase would at least increase the spread of vr, then I realized I had terrible experience with most things that are mainstream products designed to appeal to the bigger audience.

Such as TV, mobile phones and the printing press? Mainstream technology is different to mainstream content, the latter being restrictive to an audience, while the former has a continued existence. You don’t want to be seen targeting a niche audience with a product seen as an accessory (buy this to play 3D Games) rather, you want to be seen as a media technology of your own (in this case marketed as VR technology).

• Oculus would be fun at an arcade.

It would not be fun to put on a plastic helmet and flail your arms around when you want to game at home.

So I’m quite indifferent. However the butthurt over this across the internet is fucking legendary.

• Banned

Is it bad if I have no idea what Oculus is or what this facebook thing means? :squashedmario:

• :)

• @Elite:

Such as TV, mobile phones and the printing press? Mainstream technology is different to mainstream content, the latter being restrictive to an audience, while the former has a continued existence.

Things you listed are completely irrelevant to what I am talking about. Facebook didn’t buy the entire technology, they bought a product in development. Just like you said, mainstream technology is different to mainstream content/product. My focus of that sentence was the specific product that Facebook invested in and the possible changes that it will undergo, not the technology itself. The technologies behind the general things you listed are relatively wide spread with multiple companies producing products that can fill my needs as well as other people’s needs with separate products. If Facebook decided to purchase an indie printing press maker that I was interested in and significantly changed its course, I would have other choices, since the technology has been around. I would not suddenly start hating every printing press and the technologies associated with it. However, I cannot do that right now with virtual reality technology within a reasonable time and price.

No company in their right mind would buy an incomplete open source kickstarter project for two billion dollars and have no intention of changing some of its priorities and ending the open source nature. If anything, they will be rushing the first gen release with its originally intended features cut or replaced with what Facebook can readily integrate into its systems, and feature them into Oculus Rift 2 when they have no responsibility to make it open source. Then they will proceed to locking the technology down and patenting every corner to make sure no competition can exist, perhaps buying out early stage VR startups for cheap and shelving them indefinitely.

Facebook did buy a multimedia SMS subscription service for 19 billion dollars not long ago, so maybe they are not in their right mind and Oculus will be completely fine.
    I understand that everyone is overreacting and they look foolish, and VR technology isn’t going to suddenly crash and burn.

Regarding my sentence you quoted, please excuse my terrible word choice. I meant to generalize the modern style of copy pasted games with press X to save earth and few other devices.

Moreover,

@Elite:

You don’t want to be seen targeting a niche audience with a product seen as an accessory (buy this to play 3D Games) rather, you want to be seen as a media technology of your own (in this case marketed as VR technology).

You seem to be assuming that I somehow consider the purchase a bad business move. I applaud Facebook for venturing outside of their typical market and trying new things. I think its a very good business move to be the pioneer of an emerging technology. I also agree that it is quite obvious designing for the niche is not profitable or desirable. I am not blaming anyone or pointing fingers, if I was the founder of Oculus Rift I would have been overjoyed to be able to go through with such an opportunistic deal. I am just a little disappointed in the situation of what started as a couple of talented enthusiasts starting a small project to create a particularly niche product get swallowed whole by a corporate giant.

Enough of my mumbo jumbo, it basically boils down to people are mad because the developers won’t make stuff for sub-poverty level profit anymore.
    Like the certain gmod communities to Jetboom.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.