Would anyone buy this? Upload-an-emote.

• Administrators

Question before I pursue researching how possible this is. Would anyone buy this?
    http://www.noxiousnet.com/emoter

Upload an emote for some amount of money. Must be ogg, under a certain length/file size. No horrible ones like square waves, screaming, or annoying sounds. If you want to make a recording of yourself saying someone else is a bitch then alright. Can choose between global or having it so only you can use it. Choose your own text trigger.

In order to do this I would have it packaged in to a workshop addon. If something is added or removed then the workshop addon would automatically update when you joined.

ogg sound files are tiny. The emotes I have now that are 2 seconds long are around 10kb-20kb. So 100 emotes wouldn’t even be noticeable in terms of download unless you’re on dial-up, in which case you wouldn’t even be able to download the map before it changed. I predict that the total time added to the loading process would be 1-2 seconds even at full capacity.

Was thinking 5$-10$ an emote. The first 100 or so would be permanent, then I would have to start making them temporary (3 months or so).

The process would be that the store on the website has an option for it. You would be able to upload maybe 3 OGG files. An admin would have to approve them. Once approved you would get a notification. Pay and then it would be added.

• Administrators

Question before I pursue researching how possible this is. Would anyone buy this?
    http://www.noxiousnet.com/emoter

Upload an emote for some amount of money. Must be ogg, under a certain length/file size. No horrible ones like square waves, screaming, or annoying sounds. If you want to make a recording of yourself saying someone else is a bitch then alright. Can choose between global or having it so only you can use it. Choose your own text trigger.

In order to do this I would have it packaged in to a workshop addon. If something is added or removed then the workshop addon would automatically update when you joined.

ogg sound files are tiny. The emotes I have now that are 2 seconds long are around 10kb-20kb. So 100 emotes wouldn’t even be noticeable in terms of download unless you’re on dial-up, in which case you wouldn’t even be able to download the map before it changed. I predict that the total time added to the loading process would be 1-2 seconds even at full capacity.

Was thinking 5$-10$ an emote. The first 100 or so would be permanent, then I would have to start making them temporary (3 months or so).

The process would be that the store on the website has an option for it. You would be able to upload maybe 3 OGG files. An admin would have to approve them. Once approved you would get a notification. Pay and then it would be added.

• I can see this being hugely popular, almost on par with title cards.

• I would buy this in a heartbeat. I wonder what kinds of emotes people would spam…

• If it means more dumb Sonic quotes I’m in

• It will very likely be successful.

What about upload an image for chat?

• Yes please.

• Game Admins

As long as the quality control is good I’d think it was a great idea. Would single rejected sounds be discounted against two aproved?

• @Benjy:

As long as the quality control is good I’d think it was a great idea. Would rejected sounds be refunded?

The example process in Jetboom’s post didn’t have you paying until the emotes passed quality control, so essentially yes.

Who’s gonna be the first to add a downie dollar emote.

• I can see the first upload now, featuring a certain black individual yelling someone’s name for several seconds.

• I would be interested in seeing how much the community expands the emote list.

• Banned

Needs some Zardoz emotes

• Game Admins

I’d feel it would be for the best to disable a game admin’s ability to spam them though. Considering the number we have.

• go on then

i claim coming up with the idea for this btw i remember the mumble conversation fondly

• Sounds like this is going to rake in more cash then Takara Money ever did.

• Administrators

@Benjy:

I’d feel it would be for the best to disable a game admin’s ability to spam them though. Considering the number we have.

Blasphemy.

• Game Admins

Honestly there’s points I imagine a bunch of monkeys attacking the same button over and over again because the sound it makes is new and interesting, except that they haven’t figured out a year has passed.

• @Benjy:

Honestly there’s points I imagine a bunch of monkeys attacking the same button over and over again because the sound it makes is new and interesting, except that they haven’t figured out a year has passed.

I think to some its become a form of addiction, they need to here eek and zombies at least once every 10 seconds.

• Administrators

Could make it similar to SA’s smilies: “There is no guaranteed time that your smilie will remain on the forums, but it will usually be at least a year unless your smilie is really horrible”

Perhaps make it so personal emotes stay for X months then get automatically removed and public emotes stay until manually purged with a minimum guaranteed lifetime of X months.

• One problem I would only see is if one sound emote gets somehow passed through an admin and end up having copyright issues. I also would like to suggest custom player death sounds.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.