EFT Item Suggestion

• I understand at this point that EFT has plenty of items, but I’d like to introduce something that is rather efficient and has a variety of uses, the Meat Hook.

It would be a hook, that when thrown, has the ability to pull in the target (player) which it connects with, or pull you to the target. It would have a pretty large radius and decent speed. I figured that with this, it would take practice to understand how to use it correctly, so that when you become efficient with it, you will be able to stop the ball carrier in situations where your team is leaving the field completely open.

The speed, if added, should be around the same as the booze bottle.

• I understand at this point that EFT has plenty of items, but I’d like to introduce something that is rather efficient and has a variety of uses, the Meat Hook.

It would be a hook, that when thrown, has the ability to pull in the target (player) which it connects with, or pull you to the target. It would have a pretty large radius and decent speed. I figured that with this, it would take practice to understand how to use it correctly, so that when you become efficient with it, you will be able to stop the ball carrier in situations where your team is leaving the field completely open.

The speed, if added, should be around the same as the booze bottle.

• lol you got this from dota

• Extremely overpowered. And the Tomahawk missile fills the exact role that you described, in a much more balanced way

• Actually the Meat Hook should be the replacement for the Tomahawk Missile. They are already extremely OP and they are no way balanced at all, Meat Hooks would make it so a person can use skill to stop the ball carrier if they can’t reach them instead of directing a missile to blow them up easily just like that with no skill involved.

• Wiping out an entire team is balanced? So, a one use grappling hook would be overpowered, right?
    Besides, the idea of it isn’t to be something that flies in a straight line across the map, it’s supposed to have a drop, so it it’s open for juking.

• This idea is useless and OP because:

It would be a hook, that when thrown, has the ability to pull in the target (player) which it connects with, or pull you to the target.

Pulls you to enemy: Hello, Tomahawk that keeps you alive.
    Pulls enemy to you: Congratulations, now you can spawnkill in maps it wasn’t possible to before!

It would have a pretty large radius and decent speed.

What prevents it from snapping to a player far away from the ball thrower?

I figured that with this, it would take practice to understand how to use it correctly

Because it’s hard to understand how grappling hooks work. This isn’t a downside at all.

so that when you become efficient with it, you will be able to stop the ball carrier in situations where your team is leaving the field completely open

Oh for fucks sake. If the ball carrier is in a completely open field, it’s your team’s fault for not understanding players not carrying the ball are faster and therefore make good defenders. Being able to stop them through your incompetence with more then luck (I got a tomahawk missle 15 seconds before the goalie scores, neat!) should not be an option.

• It would be a hook, that when thrown, has the ability to pull in the target (player) which it connects with, or pull you to the target.

Pulls you to enemy: Hello, Tomahawk that keeps you alive.
    Pulls enemy to you: Congratulations, now you can spawnkill in maps it wasn’t possible to before!

I put that in because I didn’t know what Jet would lean towards in that sense, so I left it to him.
    You can spawn kill in just about any map with any item, but people don’t tend to. How is a new item suddenly going to make more a difference than any item added previously?

It would have a pretty large radius and decent speed.

What prevents it from snapping to a player far away from the ball thrower?

Jet’s lua ingenuity. It’s supposed to be able to pull in any player one time to your location, it doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be the ball carrier.

I figured that with this, it would take practice to understand how to use it correctly

Because it’s hard to understand how grappling hooks work. This isn’t a downside at all.

Not only do you have to be in spawn to get the item, you have to also physically be within range to toss it. It would also fall as it is tossed, giving time to juke. Though, if correctly placed, can lead in a save/round turn. I didn’t originally intend for this idea to be a grappling hook at all, to be honest with you.

The whole idea of this item, is to be something which takes a bit of thought to use, but its advantage is that it would be extremely useful in a lot of scenarios. Though not easy to use for the average player, people who have been using this item that know its velocity and drop time can land marks on carries if they happen to get their hands on it.

• Quoting inline is a pain to do more then once so I’m just doing a bulleted list here.

• If you’re in a team of two or more, you can have someone join team A, discard items looking for the meat hook (which happens often anyway), then pull a friend on Team B across and begin spawnkilling. On maps with raised spawns, you can now pull them to that raised spawn.

• The point of that statement is the meat hook’s “search range” could find a target you didn’t intend mid-throw and bring that person to you rather then your target. Though pretty much every last fucking lock-on spell in RTP has that problem anyway, so par for the course.

• I don’t mind the “impressive save/table turning” thing you mentioned, what I have a problem with is we already have several items that allow you to do this. Booze bottle, tomahawk… just… tomahawk, explosive barrel snipes, magic wand + predicting the future, and so on. Why do we need another theoretical fuck-you-I-got-lucky sign that could potentially screw players worse then our current fuck-yous?

• “have been using”? Odd choice of words, but I’ll drop it.

What I would be OK with:

• [The hook] forces you to stand still for about 3 seconds to pick it up due to its size.

• [The meat hook] has fairly significant gravity on it when thrown, to prevent a lucky spawnkill.

• Instead of doing any pulling, the unlucky player hit by it is thrown back a little bit because they got hit by a fucking huge object.

• The player that got hit, either until X seconds or until death, has slightly reduced movement and longer get-up-from-a-fall time.

• @commandhat:

Quoting inline is a pain to do more then once so I’m just doing a bulleted list here.

• If you’re in a team of two or more, you can have someone join team A, discard items looking for the meat hook (which happens often anyway), then pull a friend on Team B across and begin spawnkilling. On maps with raised spawns, you can now pull them to that raised spawn.

• The point of that statement is the meat hook’s “search range” could find a target you didn’t intend mid-throw and bring that person to you rather then your target. Though pretty much every last fucking lock-on spell in RTP has that problem anyway, so par for the course.

• I don’t mind the “impressive save/table turning” thing you mentioned, what I have a problem with is we already have several items that allow you to do this. Booze bottle, tomahawk… just… tomahawk, explosive barrel snipes, magic wand + predicting the future, and so on. Why do we need another theoretical fuck-you-I-got-lucky sign that could potentially screw players worse then our current fuck-yous?

• “have been using”? Odd choice of words, but I’ll drop it.

What I would be OK with:

• [The hook] forces you to stand still for about 3 seconds to pick it up due to its size.

• [The meat hook] has fairly significant gravity on it when thrown, to prevent a lucky spawnkill.

• Instead of doing any pulling, the unlucky player hit by it is thrown back a little bit because they got hit by a fucking huge object.

• The player that got hit, either until X seconds or until death, has slightly reduced movement and longer get-up-from-a-fall time.

The main problem you see is people spawnkilling? I probably have the most hours out of anyone on EFT, and I can honestly say that if someone wants to spawnkill, they’re going to spawnkill- meathook or not. I believe you’re referring to maps with unreachable team spawns. Spawnkilling isn’t really a big deal in EFT, because it’s simply rare to see a guy go past 10 seconds of spawnkill without getting killed himself. It’s not so easy, but it does happen. There are more maps with open/enclosed team spawns than ones with unreachable teamspawns. Come to think of it, there’s really only two I can recall.

The original idea was for it to not deal damage. I mean, how many kills are you going to get with a meathook that spawns in the same interval as every other item? People “spawnkill” by wand spamming down midlane on skyline/castle warfare all the time. But to us that’s not spawnkill, it’s strategy. It’s also not against the rules to do so.

I’ve stated myself, and have obtained the same response form other players - EFT just about has enough items. Personally I’d prefer vanilla EFT where we had none. But we know that’s not going to happen, so we might as well suggest some skillshots that might make the game a little more enjoyable, rather than introducing more aoe.

• @Rin:

The main problem you see is people spawnkilling? I probably have the most hours out of anyone on EFT, and I can honestly say that if someone wants to spawnkill, they’re going to spawnkill- meathook or not. I believe you’re referring to maps with unreachable team spawns. Spawnkilling isn’t really a big deal in EFT, because it’s simply rare to see a guy go past 10 seconds of spawnkill without getting killed himself. It’s not so easy, but it does happen. There are more maps with open/enclosed team spawns than ones with unreachable teamspawns. Come to think of it, there’s really only two I can recall.

The original idea was for it to not deal damage. I mean, how many kills are you going to get with a meathook that spawns in the same interval as every other item? People “spawnkill” by wand spamming down midlane on skyline/castle warfare all the time. But to us that’s not spawnkill, it’s strategy. It’s also not against the rules to do so.

I’ve stated myself, and have obtained the same response form other players - EFT just about has enough items. Personally I’d prefer vanilla EFT where we had none. But we know that’s not going to happen, so we might as well suggest some skillshots that might make the game a little more enjoyable, rather than introducing more aoe.

• I never said that was the main problem. I just brought it up as an example.

• I never said anything about dealing damage, just that the guy gets knocked back and movement affected. Think about it - if you’re hit by something large and/or heavy, strong enough to knock you a good 20 or so feet - do you just shake it up and stand up in 2 seconds?

• I never said anything about against the rules. If spawnkilling was punishable, about 80% of ZS would be banned.

• You stated the meathook would have aoe - “It would have a pretty large radius”. My version of it turns it into a crippling skillshot, which is more in line with your last two sentences.

• Tomahawks are fine, this could be a cool addition though.

• I think that the Tomahawk missile should be retired and the meet hook be implemented, would change things up for the most part which is what is needed i think. just MHO. the tomahawk missiles get used to much

• Tomahawks are fine, one spawns on either side at the same time so it being powerful isn’t really an issue. I think this could be an ok item as an addition at a push but definitely not as a replacement, the last thing EFT needs is to further cater for the ‘pro’ players and make it easier for one player to dominate everyone. This is a team game.

• More items wouldn’t hurt.

• You can say that about any weapon.

• Having new weapons is always a good thing, however even if tomhawk is extremely op in certain maps it should stay as it is, or with just slightly lowered spawn chance.
    Imagine starting as a new player on the server, having nearly any skill, with no good weapons to defend your goals, and with a team not better than the enemy’s one…

• Imagine starting as a new player and being preoccupied caring about winning instead of enjoying quite possibly the wackiest gamemode in existence.

• @JetBoom:

Imagine starting as a new player and being preoccupied caring about winning instead of enjoying quite possibly the wackiest gamemode in existence.

Still, not being able to defend the goals equals to less playable time and fast map changes, but that doesn’t apply as long as tomhawks exist ;)

• @JetBoom:

Imagine starting as a new player and being preoccupied caring about winning instead of enjoying quite possibly the wackiest gamemode in existence.

Imagine starting as a new player and dying constantly because tomahawks kill them whenever they have the ball or they’re chasing the ball holder.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.