Zombie Escape overhaul

• At the moment, the current zombie escape system is without boss and custom weapons support, both of which are quite vital for zombie escape maps to be playable. There are even a few maps that are currently on the server such as ze_lotr_helms_deep and ze_gameshow which don’t function quite as they should and as such needed rudimentary tweaks to make them playable. Although level support has been added, zombie escape map levels are likely to have either bosses or custom weapons (since the mapping quality is of advanced or expert level), and because they aren’t supported, these maps aren’t able to be played on the server. Examples of custom weapons being necessary are on ze_lotr_minas_tirith wherein blockades are custom weapons that may be deployed and on ze_tesv_skyrim where a lever handle (as a custom weapon) is needed to fix and operate a lever in order to open a door. Bosses need to be defeated in order to proceed further on into the map.

As level changes weren’t working on ze_minecraft_adventure (for both the official ZE gamemode and NN’s ZE) since it did not use a func_brush system to change levels, I added sets of env_globals and logic_autos and connected them to the logic_relays in the map to fix up the stages, but as there are bosses that can not be defeated, it is unplayable on NN’s ZE.

I’ve found the Zombie Escape gamemode for Garry’s Mod to be lovely since it has support for everything. (the lua code)

As far as managing the maximum limit for zombie escape levels to be played, I suppose there would have to be an individual number of rounds played per map since the number of levels in a ZE map vary. Normal ZE maps (without stages) would have a limit of either 2 or 3 plays (currently 3), and maps with levels would have an individually set number of rounds (ze_crashbandicoot = 3 / ze_minecraft_adventure = 4 / ze_parkers_pit = 5) as well as a limit of 1 loss, with a minimum of 3 rounds played. An example of this would be if humans won stage 1 and 2 the first two rounds on ze_crashbandicoot, but then lost stage 3, they would be allowed to play stage 3 once more to try and win. If two losses occur, then the map would end unless it was the first two rounds, in which case they would play a third round (and then the map would end afterwards).

List of Zombie Escape issues, in order of priority

[header]Boss and custom weapons support[/header]
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83629720/ze_TESV_Skyrim_v4fix 2014-1-27 04-58-19.webm
    custom weapons usage in zombie escape maps

[header]HUD and messages[/header]
    The Zombie Escape gamemode has a much clearer and noticeable HUD message system that is more effective than both the current zsmessage system and console messages. Console messages are hardly noticeable. Gives messages in an objective-like fashion. I’m not saying that this particular message system should be used but there should be a replacement for the console messages.

40 sec bar countdown

[header]Speed adjustments for humans and zombies[/header]
    According to Box, humans and zombie should be slightly faster (e.g. knife should have a move speed of 250).
    I’m also not sure how damage should affect zombies but I’ve noticed that it’s impossible to jump as zombie while under fire, which is necessary as a zombie in zombie escape. Jump mechanics should be vanilla for both zombies and humans.

[header]Updated legacy dynamic spawning[/header]
    Although the legacy dynamic spawning works for ZE, it’s far from perfect. As not all zombie maps have teleporting (e.g. ze_hypernova), spawns have a tendency to be AFK zombie players who are far away from the humans since any viable dynamic spawns are quickly eliminated since any zombie who fits the criteria for a dynamic spawn either comes too close to the humans, or are killed by the humans. I would suggest a dynamic spawning system similar to Deathrun’s respawn system - zombies spawn on a point created by a zombie who fits the criteria of a dynamic spawn close to the humans. The current system works for the time being.

[header]Additional weapons for increased variety[/header]
    M4, TMP, MP5, Ender, Hunter, Glock, Five-Seven, MAC10, UMP, SG-552, AUG, others

ZE sweeper rated terrible by many - needs a damage increase.

[header]Round information[/header]
    Underneath “Zombie Escape!” in the top left corner of the HUD, a round indicator would be ideal for players who join mid-map.

[header]Map reset after each round[/header]

• Reduce intermission time (3-7 sec)
    • Humans should not have to be unfrozen after a rough 2 second pause, causes confusion
    • No slow motion camera zoom on last human
    • No pop-up scoreboard

• At the moment, the current zombie escape system is without boss and custom weapons support, both of which are quite vital for zombie escape maps to be playable. There are even a few maps that are currently on the server such as ze_lotr_helms_deep and ze_gameshow which don’t function quite as they should and as such needed rudimentary tweaks to make them playable. Although level support has been added, zombie escape map levels are likely to have either bosses or custom weapons (since the mapping quality is of advanced or expert level), and because they aren’t supported, these maps aren’t able to be played on the server. Examples of custom weapons being necessary are on ze_lotr_minas_tirith wherein blockades are custom weapons that may be deployed and on ze_tesv_skyrim where a lever handle (as a custom weapon) is needed to fix and operate a lever in order to open a door. Bosses need to be defeated in order to proceed further on into the map.

As level changes weren’t working on ze_minecraft_adventure (for both the official ZE gamemode and NN’s ZE) since it did not use a func_brush system to change levels, I added sets of env_globals and logic_autos and connected them to the logic_relays in the map to fix up the stages, but as there are bosses that can not be defeated, it is unplayable on NN’s ZE.

I’ve found the Zombie Escape gamemode for Garry’s Mod to be lovely since it has support for everything. (the lua code)

As far as managing the maximum limit for zombie escape levels to be played, I suppose there would have to be an individual number of rounds played per map since the number of levels in a ZE map vary. Normal ZE maps (without stages) would have a limit of either 2 or 3 plays (currently 3), and maps with levels would have an individually set number of rounds (ze_crashbandicoot = 3 / ze_minecraft_adventure = 4 / ze_parkers_pit = 5) as well as a limit of 1 loss, with a minimum of 3 rounds played. An example of this would be if humans won stage 1 and 2 the first two rounds on ze_crashbandicoot, but then lost stage 3, they would be allowed to play stage 3 once more to try and win. If two losses occur, then the map would end unless it was the first two rounds, in which case they would play a third round (and then the map would end afterwards).

List of Zombie Escape issues, in order of priority

[header]Boss and custom weapons support[/header]
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83629720/ze_TESV_Skyrim_v4fix 2014-1-27 04-58-19.webm
    custom weapons usage in zombie escape maps

[header]HUD and messages[/header]
    The Zombie Escape gamemode has a much clearer and noticeable HUD message system that is more effective than both the current zsmessage system and console messages. Console messages are hardly noticeable. Gives messages in an objective-like fashion. I’m not saying that this particular message system should be used but there should be a replacement for the console messages.

40 sec bar countdown

[header]Speed adjustments for humans and zombies[/header]
    According to Box, humans and zombie should be slightly faster (e.g. knife should have a move speed of 250).
    I’m also not sure how damage should affect zombies but I’ve noticed that it’s impossible to jump as zombie while under fire, which is necessary as a zombie in zombie escape. Jump mechanics should be vanilla for both zombies and humans.

[header]Updated legacy dynamic spawning[/header]
    Although the legacy dynamic spawning works for ZE, it’s far from perfect. As not all zombie maps have teleporting (e.g. ze_hypernova), spawns have a tendency to be AFK zombie players who are far away from the humans since any viable dynamic spawns are quickly eliminated since any zombie who fits the criteria for a dynamic spawn either comes too close to the humans, or are killed by the humans. I would suggest a dynamic spawning system similar to Deathrun’s respawn system - zombies spawn on a point created by a zombie who fits the criteria of a dynamic spawn close to the humans. The current system works for the time being.

[header]Additional weapons for increased variety[/header]
    M4, TMP, MP5, Ender, Hunter, Glock, Five-Seven, MAC10, UMP, SG-552, AUG, others

ZE sweeper rated terrible by many - needs a damage increase.

[header]Round information[/header]
    Underneath “Zombie Escape!” in the top left corner of the HUD, a round indicator would be ideal for players who join mid-map.

[header]Map reset after each round[/header]

• Reduce intermission time (3-7 sec)
    • Humans should not have to be unfrozen after a rough 2 second pause, causes confusion
    • No slow motion camera zoom on last human
    • No pop-up scoreboard

• flickenmaste really likes these ZE maps but you can’t play them because they have bosses.

@flickenmaste:

Nice!

Would it be possible for you to port the maps Paranoid and Mako Reactor to Gmod?

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/112490

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/143887

@flickenmaste:

Here are some good maps.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38836617/zemaps.zip

The best are in bold aka need to port:
    ze_biohazard_manor_v4a_004
    ze_biohazard2_rpd_v4e_004
    ze_biohazard2_sewer_v4c
    ze_death_star_escape_v4_3
    ze_gods_wrath_v3_8b
    ze_indiana_jones_v4a_004
    ze_jurassic_park_story_v1
    ze_lotr_helms_deep_v5
    ze_lotr_minas_tirith_v2_2fix
    ze_lotr_mount_doom_v3
    ze_lotr_mines_of_moria_v6_3
    ze_ocean_base_escape_v3
    ze_paper_escaper_v5_2_fix
    ze_paranoid_ultimate_v10_4
    ze_potc_v3_4fix
    ze_predator_ultimate_v3
    ze_voodoo_islands_v8_5
    ze_surf_facility_v2_1
    ze_rooftop_runaway2_v5

If you get paranoid ultimate to work I will love you forever.

@JetBoom:

They should all “work”. It’s just making it so the maps compiled on the engine from 5 years ago don’t crash.

@flickenmaste:

Zesty said he is having problems with getting the materia’s to work in mako reactor, and a lot of ZE maps use items like that (a weapons that is picked up and can be activated).

And paranoid uses a lot of triggers to change cvars like sv_gravity, sv_friction etc which I know work in gmod. It will just need to be made so it doesn’t mess up to server cvars after the map is changed.

@ZetyLemon:

-snip-

@JetBoom:

It makes a weapon entity and parents the stuff to it. In order to do that I’d have to make dummy weapons for all the CS:S weapons. Which isn’t that hard.

• A lot of those maps are fun, I hope they’ll be on the nox server once they’re fully supported.
    I particularly like the messages that stay visible as long as it defines “n seconds” in itself.

• [header]Breakable Doors in ZE[/header]
    Func_door_rotating is occasionally used on ZE maps that are locked and only open after some 30 seconds, humans are able to knife/shoot them to break them and leave the zombies behind. ZS engine feature. Humans should not be able to do any damage to these types of doors on the ZE gamemode.

ze_minecraft
    ze_jurassic_park

• [header]Player movement[/header]There is no need for speed differences, just make running speed 250, and crouching speed 150.
    While zombies are ignited/under bullet fire their running speed should be 150.

[header]Weapons[/header]Custom func_buymenu would be much appreciated as players prefer choice than being stuck with random.
    1 primary weapon (assault rifle/shotgun/sniper/smg), and 1 secondary (pistols) to choose from the menu.

Players spawn with Knife, 1 grenade, 100 hp and 100 points worth of body armor to protect them from fire/small traps/boss attacks (or just 200 hp).

The grenade should only do low amount of damage and inflict a burn on the zombies for 5 seconds.

Weapons are highly in-accurate, they should be using the default cs:s accuracy, along with ironsights being disabled for non-zooming weapons.

Knockback inflicted on the zombies affects their whole body, headshots do double the knockback.

Zombie claws should infect humans in one hit, and only one at a time.

[header]Special Weapons[/header]Various maps contain special weapons, some help against the undead horde, some are vital to map completion.
    ze_christmas_infection_v2_3, medium difficulty, the ending requires a human to take the core and bring it aboard the wooden ship.
    ze_ut2004_convoy contains various special weapons, which are documented by [email protected] himself.

These special weapons can’t be used without a dummy weapon by the gamemode.

[header]Rounds[/header]zs_roundlimit should be used to determine how many rounds humans are allowed to lose on zombie escape.

Single level maps like minecraft, jurassic park story, grand boat escape, helms deep, should only allow 1 round won and 2 losses (zs_roundlimit 2)
    If humans win single level maps on round 1 or 2, they don’t have to play the map again.
    Single level maps need a complete reset on new rounds started, with no filters. (this would fix the issue helms deep has where a brush is gone on round 2 and 3)

Multi-level maps like convoy, gameshow and zombierig which feature 4 levels, should allow 4 consecutive wins, and 2 losses.
    End round times for multi-level maps should last 15 seconds, 10 seconds for displaying “You have Survived/You have Lost” without the player stats, and then send players into spectator and restart in the remaining 5 seconds.

At the End of the last round (or 1st won on single level maps), the player stats should be totaled up from the previous rounds and displayed, along with a 1 minute timer before the next map.

Currently the gamemode double restarts the map after round 1, which is unnecessary, this sometimes causes players to walk into the death water on zombierig, the music doesn’t play, or spams the chatbox with repeated messages.

[header]Removals[/header]Remove Fear-o-meter display, as it isn’t really needed on Zombie Escape, humans are always facing the zombies in defense locations.

No damage received for a whole minute! Added 2 points.

• I’m sure box has seen this, but there’s a brush on helms deep that doesn’t spawn. This means players can get to the gate much earlier than they should be able to. Sometimes this leads to HALF the humans being left outside the gate to die because it closes too early.

• @Humin:

I’m sure box has seen this, but there’s a brush on helms deep that doesn’t spawn. This means players can get to the gate much earlier than they should be able to. Sometimes this leads to HALF the humans being left outside the gate to die because it closes too early.

This is because func_brush support (level support) was added. I’ll see to it that it’s fixed.

• The end-round scoreboard isn’t needed and a simple “humans won” or “humans have lost” overlay would suffice. It would also be great if the intermission time were reduced. 35 seconds, plus the 5-second slow-mo, is too long to wait for each round. Other zombie escape gamemodes have near-instant restarts. Anywhere from 2-10 seconds is much better.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83629720/ze_parkers_pit_b8 2014-3-30 21-44-16.webm
    @Box:

End round times for multi-level maps should last 15 seconds, 10 seconds for displaying “You have Survived/You have Lost” without the player stats, and then send players into spectator and restart in the remaining 5 seconds.

At the End of the last round (or 1st won on single level maps), the player stats should be totaled up from the previous rounds and displayed, along with a 1 minute timer before the next map.

The second map reset to unfreeze humans is a bit awkward. It would be better if humans could move from the start.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83629720/ze_zombierig_v4_3 2014-3-30 21-56-06.webm
    @Box:

Currently the gamemode double restarts the map after round 1, which is unnecessary, this sometimes causes players to walk into the death water on zombierig, the music doesn’t play, or spams the chatbox with repeated messages.

• looks cartoony i hate cartoony

• The most annoying part is when there’s >10 zombies in the 1st minute on any round of a Zombie Escape map, some people just suicide to obtain brains from those afk or loading in.

@JetBoom:

• There is now 30 extra seconds before the first round of Zombie Escape.This didn’t make an impact on how many people would load in on time, at most they would always load in the middle of round 1.
      I consider round 1 a warm up, which is always lost, and with a limit of 3 rounds we don’t have enough to even complete all levels on multiple difficulty maps.
    @JetBoom:

> * Losing condition: no humans remain.
    > * Winning condition: This was a bit harder because of the way CS:S rounds work. So what I did was make it so the humans will win if all zombies in the server are dead and have recently been hit for 500+ damage by a trigger_hurt entity. In addition, zombies are forced to respawn.

The end round trigger can be broken if some zombies were in the human's safe zone to avoid the nuke, if they survived long enough after the initial nuke, the end round trigger can be postponed indefinitely.

Is the votemap restriction on ze_ to another ze_ map necessary anymore?

• @Box:

Yes, always.

• Having an end-round scoreboard of some sort would be great, but since it’s guaranteed to pop up 3 times, it would be:

1. no longer takes up the whole screen.
    2. be slightly transparent.
    3. act as a passive overlay, meaning you don’t have to exit by manually clicking ‘x’.
    4. only last for 2-10 seconds during intermission / until the next round starts.

• Game Admins

@Box:

The end round trigger can be broken if some zombies were in the human’s safe zone to avoid the nuke, if they survived long enough after the initial nuke, the end round trigger can be postponed indefinitely.

This is a fault of the map. There should be a global trigger_hurt which is filtered by team.

@Box:

Zombie Survival is the flagship and developer gamemode, breaks away from it should be limited.

• Bring this back, Ze needs to be fixed!

• Game Admins

Special weapons and items are on the server and working well now. A couple more things I’m considering as useful to have, some of the larger ZE maps are actually pretty fun:

• Boss support, it’s just the gamemode’s damage controller here.

• A “logic_rounds” entity that changes the number of rounds played. Changes to the the next map on a set number of wins, or a set number of rounds; whatever happens first.

I want to know people’s opinions on ZE, pre and post the above changes; also if you know any maps that should or shouldn’t be on the server.

• I am most happy with the changes you’re bringing Benjy, thank you so much. <3

• ze_minecraft has a very high winrate due to humans’ ability to break a set of doors (func_door_rotating), I’ve been wanting to have that map dismissed in exchange for a similar map which has multiple levels, bosses and custom weapons, ze_minecraft_adventure.

• Awesome Benjy, way to save ze

• mines of moria 24/7

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.