Setting up Hammer for Garry's Mod

• Since I had a couple of questions on this as well as a couple of conversations with people who were doing it incorrectly, here are some instructions on how to make maps specific to Garry’s Mod. No need to duplicate content, unpack game files or run on a game other than gmod.

These instructions and the files I have written have been tailored for NoXiousNet use and have Portal, DoD and TF2 content disabled as a result:

• Install Source SDK Mulitplayer 2013

• Go to the \Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod directory and create a “custom” and “mapsrc” folder

• Any custom content should go in separated files into garrysmod* folder.

• Replace the gameinfo.txt with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6184504/NoXiousNet/gameinfo.txt (make a backup copy first)

• Since the gameinfo.txt is replaced by Garry’s Mod unnecessarily right-click the newly updated file in your browser change it’s properties to read-only.

• Launch hammer.exe inside the folder steam/steamapps/common/Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer/bin and click on any setup.

• Add a new “Garrys Mod” configuration. Find at the bottom of this post the hammer settings (not including the FGDs you need to add separately):

• You can allow hammer to bootup in your chosen gamemode by placing +gamemode [gamemode] into the additional game parameters when compiling.

• eg. +gamemode zombiesurvival

• eg. +gamemode teamplay

Game Executable Directory: 	$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod
    Game Directory: 		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod
    Hammer VMF Directory:		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod\mapsrc

Autosave directory:		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod\mapsrc		

Under build programs:
    Game Executable: 		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\hl2.exe
    BSP executable: 		$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe
    VIS executable: 		$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vvis.exe
    RAD executable:			$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe
    Place compiled maps: 		$SteamUserDir\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps

• Since I had a couple of questions on this as well as a couple of conversations with people who were doing it incorrectly, here are some instructions on how to make maps specific to Garry’s Mod. No need to duplicate content, unpack game files or run on a game other than gmod.

These instructions and the files I have written have been tailored for NoXiousNet use and have Portal, DoD and TF2 content disabled as a result:

• Install Source SDK Mulitplayer 2013

• Go to the \Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod directory and create a “custom” and “mapsrc” folder

• Any custom content should go in separated files into garrysmod* folder.

• Replace the gameinfo.txt with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6184504/NoXiousNet/gameinfo.txt (make a backup copy first)

• Since the gameinfo.txt is replaced by Garry’s Mod unnecessarily right-click the newly updated file in your browser change it’s properties to read-only.

• Launch hammer.exe inside the folder steam/steamapps/common/Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer/bin and click on any setup.

• Add a new “Garrys Mod” configuration. Find at the bottom of this post the hammer settings (not including the FGDs you need to add separately):

• You can allow hammer to bootup in your chosen gamemode by placing +gamemode [gamemode] into the additional game parameters when compiling.

• eg. +gamemode zombiesurvival

• eg. +gamemode teamplay

Game Executable Directory: 	$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod
    Game Directory: 		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod
    Hammer VMF Directory:		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod\mapsrc

Autosave directory:		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\garrysmod\mapsrc		

Under build programs:
    Game Executable: 		$SteamUserDir\GarrysMod\hl2.exe
    BSP executable: 		$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe
    VIS executable: 		$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vvis.exe
    RAD executable:			$SteamUserDir\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe
    Place compiled maps: 		$SteamUserDir\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps

• Works great, but I’m experiencing a few crashes in hammer after doing this. Do you think this is related to the setup right now, or something else?

• Not sure if it’s related, I have been using it for fair bit of time now and have had no crashes yet.

• This bricks hammer if you have gmod in your common directory (where it’s supposed to be).

• These instructions were set up because everything moved to the common directory. Works fine for others and me, you sure it’s not something else?

• For me it complains about not finding the files. I just used absolute paths in the gameconfig.txt and that seems to work.

• I forgot to mention, you can allow hammer to bootup in your chosen gamemode by placing +gamemode [gamemode] into the additional game parameters when compiling.

eg. +gamemode zombiesurvival
    eg. +gamemode teamplay

• garrysmod/custom/zs_obj_countrytrain/materialsrc/JS/milflr003.vtf

“$basetexture”“custom/zs_obj_countrytrain/materialsrc/JS/milflr003”

This doesn’t work for me. I tried with just materials as well instead of the materialsrc.

• “$basetexture” “JS/milflr003”

• My custom content doesn’t show in gmod, only hammer now.

• Don’t put it in a “custom” folder, put it in the correct path

• Have you been following this guy because I swear to god it was hard work trying to get him to follow these instructions properly and now that he has he’s copied the instructions, gameinfo.txt, taken any reference out of NoXiousNet in place of “Mr.Darkness’ Guide” and then proclaimed that he’ll help you with the problems I’m really having my doubts.

• @Samuel:

Don’t put it in a “custom” folder, put it in the correct path

You can use either, I like the modular structure of the custom folder but the normal materials/models folders are fine too. If you’re running a slow hard-drive you might want to think about doing the latter because each folder in the custom directory becomes it’s own. The intended use of the custom folder was to store .VPKs

Custom Materials here are inside my custom folder.

• I was following this one. So how can I get my custom content to actually work since it doesn’t say.

• Are just one of your folders working? Or none at all, I’ve heard other people are having trouble mounting more than the first folder. Just to confirm, these same materials work inside your garrysmod/materials directory?

• It works fine in garrysmod/materials/JS/milflr003 like I used to have it. I don’t want duplicates or a pile of custom content junk everywhere, this custom folder would really be helpful… if it worked correctly.

• How many folders inside custom do you have?

• In custom I have folders named after maps that have custom content and then in each one it will have materials, models and sounds.

zs_obj_countrytrain\materials, models, sound

• EDIT:
    Forget the custom directory for now completely. The files aren’t even supposed to mount so I don’t know what I’ve done.

EDIT2:

I’ve edited the gameinfo.txt to include the addon folder. Redownload it, if you’re really keen on using a modular system then you can just move all your stuff in custom and put it in addons. Edited first post concerning this.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.