PSU Query

• I’m currently borrowing my friends PC, he has his PSU facing down into the case so the fan is tight against the bottom (no air holes) and has absolutely no room to breath, on occasion it has been known to ‘randomly shut down’ for no known reason.

I’m looking for some practical debate here, the PSU is really hot, my friend - an ‘engineer’ seems to think it’s nothing to worry about… I do.

Who is right? Does it matter if a PSU gets airflow? Am I being paranoid? Can I break his legs nice and slow/rub it in his face so I can see him cry for accepting he’s wrong for once?

• I’m currently borrowing my friends PC, he has his PSU facing down into the case so the fan is tight against the bottom (no air holes) and has absolutely no room to breath, on occasion it has been known to ‘randomly shut down’ for no known reason.

I’m looking for some practical debate here, the PSU is really hot, my friend - an ‘engineer’ seems to think it’s nothing to worry about… I do.

Who is right? Does it matter if a PSU gets airflow? Am I being paranoid? Can I break his legs nice and slow/rub it in his face so I can see him cry for accepting he’s wrong for once?

• This is one of those things that can be easily googled, but whatever.  Smash his head in with the power supply.  It’s getting hot in here!

• Definitely a possibility if it’s the only ventilation.

• Game Admins

The PSU fan draws in air and expels it out the case, it is imperative to function correctly.

What is his Engineering degree?

• Or he just doesn’t care

• Call him a fucking idiot and drop it, because if he refuses to think that something is wrong with an upside down air intake on a PSU there’s no helping him.

• Theres nothing wrong with it if he want to a. reduce its operational lifespan to several months and b. reduce his own lifespan by inhaling the fumes from burning pc parts.

• Random shutdowns are also hard shutdown when they’re instantaneous. These kind of shutdowns slowly corrupt the OS, increase boot-up times, and reduce the overall lifespan of the OS.
    Both his hardware and software are taking a beating from it.

• Wait shit hold on, I have my PSU facing down on my case as well (on the bottom), but there is an air hole on the bottom where the fan is facing. Should I be pointing it into my case? I thought to put it up against the air holes on the bottom of the case because otherwise the fan would be facing my GPU by mere inches, but I didn’t realize that PSU fans sucked in air and expelled it through the back.

• Game Admins

Bottom Mounted PSUs should draw air in from the outside and immediately exhaust it.

• Guys, fires need air to live. So a PSU with no access to air will never catch fire. He’s doing the right thing.

• Thanks for the replies… It seems I was correct to be a bit apprehensive (see attached). Those are scorch marks on the case, the PSU is now breathing happily in my HAF XB.

I can guarantee that the life of the PSU has been cut dramatically.

• @Benjy:

What is his Engineering degree?

BA (Hons): 21st Century Bullshit Studies and Contemporary Philosophical Shit-Stirring

• That image made me shudder a tad bit.

Edit:  That isn’t dust?

• Administrators

It is, but it’s burned.

• I just hope he realizes, because jesus how can you let it get that bad without noticing?

• Reminds me of when a friend of mine told me that one of his friends from his school was wondering why his pc was overheating (he kept it down the side of the desk for a start) and it turned out he just had a big bit of paper that had slipped down the side of the desk and was blocking the vent.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.