[Idea / Discussion] Somewhat self-regulating departments.

• If a job hasn’t been filled on the station (especially critical jobs), the access for their office/equipment will change to an appropriate alternate job.  Example: No Captain/HoP? HoS will get their access until one joins. No security joined = remaining heads get security access until one joins.

• No engineers joined = power drains at a slower rate / not at all until one joins, or some other kind of powernet trickery.

• If a job hasn’t been filled on the station (especially critical jobs), the access for their office/equipment will change to an appropriate alternate job.  Example: No Captain/HoP? HoS will get their access until one joins. No security joined = remaining heads get security access until one joins.

• No engineers joined = power drains at a slower rate / not at all until one joins, or some other kind of powernet trickery.

• I like this idea. For example, some people might join, notice the power going out, and then leave because they can’t do anything (which has happened quite a lot lately) whereas if power didn’t drain at all people could still use all their machinery and such.

And I’m just wondering ; how long would this take to code and implement?

• Like this difficulty adjustment idea; the coding will be a magnificent feat.

• the coding for that specific idea would be complicated and buggy since when the captain logs on the hos’s id would be auto-reset to a default hos id

Alternate offer: back on D2 we had special id computers for each department so the heads of the departments could hire/fire people from related roles.

ie, hos could make assistants detectives, security members, wardens, assistant and hos, but not make them medics or engineers.

• The access on the doors/machines would change instead of individual IDs but all the ideas I have for when the access switches back to default could still allow unintended access. I did suggest your 2nd idea before a long time ago and that went nowhere but here’s another idea:

There would be some console on the wall in each department that could alter the access of everything in it if the right jobs haven’t joined (maybe add a feature where it’ll add access to just 1 ID placed inside). Anyone could turn it on if requirements are met but when essential jobs do join the station (or are assigned) they can change the access for that department back to default.

• How about Heads are able to access the HoP’s terminal to change their access/others’ and also an admin-item which provides portable power to the whole station (inserted when no engineers)? Whilst the Heads access would create more hazards and responsibility, that’s the nature of SS13 and so is the individual-choice aspects instead of predefined variables to the code (very risky if not complex).

-Aiming for simplicity to implement the above ideas-

• I wonder how many pacmans it will take to power the station

• I know that you want to try and make the server better for low population rounds, but I don’t think automating all the hard jobs is a good way to go. It would just lead to lazy ass players until we hit the 20 player mark and then OH NU THE SING IS LOOSE WHY and then we either A: get even more shit players who don’t do their jobs or B: We just lose our players again.

Babyproofing everything is not the way to go.

As for the doors idea, I’m iffy on it. The special ID consoles seen the way to go.

• @Vodka:

How about Heads are able to access the HoP’s terminal to change their access/others’ and also an admin-item which provides portable power to the whole station (inserted when no engineers)? Whilst the Heads access would create more hazards and responsibility, that’s the nature of SS13 and so is the individual-choice aspects instead of predefined variables to the code (very risky if not complex).

-Aiming for simplicity to implement the above ideas-

this would just turn into all heads having full access

Although, this does mean we could remove the HoP.

• Merge HoP with Quartermaster.

• No engineers -> the SMES units start full and output turned to 7k at least. Or the solars are set up.

Also,

How about job terminal next to HoP:s office, it only works if there is no HoP, or HoP has turned it on.
    It allows assistants to change in to some empty non-sec/non-head job.

• Fully Charged SMES literally last hours on a fully powered station, you’re going to have to tone that amount down a bit if you want the station to ever run out of power short of a sabotage on engineering.

• @Nernums:

this would just turn into all heads having full access

Although, this does mean we could remove the HoP.

And in low player counts, Heads need that, in my opinion, as there’s so much more to do which might now include their responsibility as versatile roles - something turning it into a calculated risk. What could happen (as we do IRL in the army, battlefield commissions) is that if X is killed/missing to the database, there’s a contingency system which has a another commander from a similar department fulfilling their role (i.e. if QM is absent, HoP is now both QM/HoP) concretely to the crew. It needs to be spread out, too, for roles definitely to be replaced (not too narrow ) if many roles are absent…

Player choice simplifies the code to their decision without hard-implementation through technical coding to force it, though, as I advocate - favoring SS13 endorsing freedom above all! But, for the technical avenue, we could hardline code into the following priorities, narrowing access to the closest roles officially based on priority cross-referencing:

RD>Science, Medical (Priority 2), Command (Priority 3) and Engineering (Priority 1).
    CMO>Medical, Science (Priority 1), Command (Priority 5) and Engineering (Priority 2).
    CE>Engineering, Medical (Priority 1), Command (Priority 4) and Science (Priority 2).
    HoP>Cargo (Priority 1), Security (Priority 2), Entertainment (Priority 2) and Command (Priority 2).
    HoS> Security, Cargo (Priority 2), Entertainment (Priority 4), Command (Priority 1)
    Captain>Command, Security (Priority 3), Entertainment (Priority 3) and Command.
    QM (Priority 5)> Cargo, Command (Priority 7) and Entertainment (Priority 1).
    Warden> Command (Priority 6) and Security (Priority 1).

• If someone wants something done generally the only detriment to them doing it is breaking into the place first, which is easy when there’s nobody to even have a chance to watch you do it.
    At this point you might just be over-complicating things.

• If you want something like this then you could have it so each head has a console that allows them to set access to their department but the HoP can lock that console remotely from his office.

• It should rather be it starts locked if there is a HoP, if no HoP or captain is present it can be unlocked at the round start.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.