[ZS] RE: Prop Rotation

• The new system just doesn’t feel good to use.  Preserving the angle you want the prop is great, but the change has made getting the prop to that point far more difficult.  Although it doesn’t make a lot of sense from a gameplay point of view, the standard way to make props stand up straight was to press them into walls or corners then move them around.  Now you need to hold them against the surface for a while, which source sometimes doesn’t like, then press sprint to align them.  This doesn’t always work without holding the button down for a second or so.    Sometimes the prop reverts to its previous angle and you have to try again.  Making it take a second longer to get a prop how you need it makes a huge difference.

A bigger problem is that somehow, rotation seems more difficult.  At times some props spin in ways that are inconsistent and jittery.  A good example is the orange mining cart (models/props_junk/pushcart01a.mdl) , which is basically impossible to work with.

Benjy told me that the ideal solution, making props that you are holding not collide with anything but the world, was not possible due to limitations with Garry’s Mod.

Having the prop maintain its rotation is really, really helpful sometimes.  It makes it actually possible to work on a barricade while people are still bringing stuff in.  But more often than not I’ve found changes brought with the new update to be negative and clunky.

Essentially, I’d either like the rotation changes reverted, or an option put in game to select which you prefer.  Being able to toggle it would satisfy anybody who likes the new system, and people who prefer dealing with corrections necessitated by other people bumping their props.

• The new system just doesn’t feel good to use.  Preserving the angle you want the prop is great, but the change has made getting the prop to that point far more difficult.  Although it doesn’t make a lot of sense from a gameplay point of view, the standard way to make props stand up straight was to press them into walls or corners then move them around.  Now you need to hold them against the surface for a while, which source sometimes doesn’t like, then press sprint to align them.  This doesn’t always work without holding the button down for a second or so.    Sometimes the prop reverts to its previous angle and you have to try again.  Making it take a second longer to get a prop how you need it makes a huge difference.

A bigger problem is that somehow, rotation seems more difficult.  At times some props spin in ways that are inconsistent and jittery.  A good example is the orange mining cart (models/props_junk/pushcart01a.mdl) , which is basically impossible to work with.

Benjy told me that the ideal solution, making props that you are holding not collide with anything but the world, was not possible due to limitations with Garry’s Mod.

Having the prop maintain its rotation is really, really helpful sometimes.  It makes it actually possible to work on a barricade while people are still bringing stuff in.  But more often than not I’ve found changes brought with the new update to be negative and clunky.

Essentially, I’d either like the rotation changes reverted, or an option put in game to select which you prefer.  Being able to toggle it would satisfy anybody who likes the new system, and people who prefer dealing with corrections necessitated by other people bumping their props.

• A compromise between the two systems would be nice.

• I’d have to agree with this. The new changes CAN be convenient but I find it much more difficult to place objects and am also running into the same problem where it seems props are not moving and rotating in the same way. If it’s possible  I too think this system should be an option that players can toggle on or off client side like Nukkun has suggested If at all possible.

• The new system does seem a bit clunky and imo it can be a bit time consuming to try to get the proper position for a prop. I’m no regular cader but even I prefer the older system to the newer one from past experience with previous cading and with the current one. I’m in favor of the toggling as well. Edit: I can see how it’d be useful, especially when people are throwing props at the cade and at the prop you’re holding.

• Add an adjustable rotation sensitivity meter.

• Could it be made so that pressing a button locks the prop in that angle, and pressing it again unlocks the angle?

And holding alt to rotate prop feels really unpredictible after the update.

• Now if only it wasn’t slowly updating it’s rotation to the whole server.

What about, if a player wants to rotate a prop, it would show a wireframe model rotating on their client only (maybe fade the prop to 50% transparency), and once the player has finished rotating, it should update the server with that position.

• When Cading, some Props I work with hesitate on turning or are turning the wrong way… The New Cading System is really sloppy for a lot of people and needs to be dealt with cause it’s been making things a lot harder.

• @Box:

Now if only it wasn’t slowly updating it’s rotation to the whole server.

What about, if a player wants to rotate a prop, it would show a wireframe model rotating on their client only (maybe fade the prop to 50% transparency), and once the player has finished rotating, it should update the server with that position.

Might just go ahead and do this.

• @Box:

Now if only it wasn’t slowly updating it’s rotation to the whole server.

Personally, I use walls and stuff to quickly align props. I would suggest a toggle button which switches between the two. Perhaps the prop can change color while turning? Red = collides with world and wall, green = stays put when it collides. This would make building cades MUCH faster.

• People still loathe how the prop rotation system works right now.

• Any change at to the rotation system at this stage would be better than what we currently have, its god awful.

• Excuse the bump, but it would be really beneficial if prop rotation was improved upon.

@JetBoom:

I’m going to make it use arcball rotation soon.

• Would be also nice in addition to this if the center of rotation for doors when using muscular was correct. It’s fairly awkward to rotate them currently.

• @Stelker:

it would be really beneficial if prop rotation was improved upon.

Many large props seem not to respond to mouse movements at all.  Some kind of fix/rework would be really appreciated by a lot of people.

• I tried to fix this a while ago, but it allowed props to be placed in walls. The fix is a bit more involved to be called quick.

• @Raox:

Would be also nice in addition to this if the center of rotation for doors when using muscular was correct. It’s fairly awkward to rotate them currently.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8255941/zs_healthcare 2016-2-21 15-33-56.webm

Just provided a fix for doors having their OBBCenter being incorrect (when prop_physics).

• http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=4538.0
    Reworked prop rotation to be more intuitive and less annoying

Please make this a reality.

• Any ideas on how to do that?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.