Getting Nox back on top

• Alright nox fans,
    I know ive been banned but nox these days isnt getting many  players,right?

So ive come up with ways tthat can get the server back on track:

Make more antags or improve current antags
    Work around the station. See if there is anything that admins can add to station
    Players have the ability to build more stuff
    Upgrade the Armory
    Creat more exiting and interesting game modes
    Advertise Nox and its new features
    Maybe make the Captain an antag
    Change the way that players are chosen to be antags.

If u like this and even what 2 post some of ur own Improvement ideas, post here!!!

Cooldud

• Alright nox fans,
    I know ive been banned but nox these days isnt getting many  players,right?

So ive come up with ways tthat can get the server back on track:

Make more antags or improve current antags
    Work around the station. See if there is anything that admins can add to station
    Players have the ability to build more stuff
    Upgrade the Armory
    Creat more exiting and interesting game modes
    Advertise Nox and its new features
    Maybe make the Captain an antag
    Change the way that players are chosen to be antags.

If u like this and even what 2 post some of ur own Improvement ideas, post here!!!

Cooldud

• Administrators

Most of those ideas are terrible and/or generic and those that aren’t would require more than a few seconds of effort to implement, meaning they’re not going to happen. Besides, as far as I can tell, NN has grown bored of SS13 so the server’s probably going to end up getting taken down in the foreseeable future.

• Make more antags or improve current antags
      More antagonists just gives more people a very acceptable excuse to kill/bomb whomever/whatever they want and in general, ruin the round for most players. There isn’t really a way to “Improve” antagonists so easily as you seem to suggest. It would take an enormous amount of suggestions and effort to figure what to balance/add/remove/change, and frankly they are about as good as they are going to get for now.

• Work around the station. See if there is anything that admins can add to station
      First, I think you mean “Developers”, and second, you can’t really add to a station that already has mostly everything that any space station would need. Anything else would just be gimmiky/unused or RP-like. You can’t exactly add to something that’s almost 100% completed.

• Players have the ability to build more stuff
      Like what? Extremely un-specific. Besides the obvious of fixing some machines like Cloners or having the ability to make some sort of Micro-SMES, there’s not much else you can build. Besides that, building is usually only used in scenarios such as repair and in rare cases, fortifications. However, functional fortifications and rooms take an excessive amount of time to build on one’s own, and usually will be completed at the end of the round where not much can be done to use it.

• Upgrade the Armory
      Yes, add more stuff to it so the 3-4 people that raid it every round and the 1-2 security personnel who fail to defend it every round get their asses pounded by energy weapons and riot sheilds. There’s not much else you can do to upgrade it, unless you want extra security, which pretty much anything you add to the armory has a quick solution to take care of. Windows can be broken easily, electrified grilles can be broken with glass or some yelo glubs, RWalls are tedious but can be thermited through, and frankly Chemistry is easy to break into. The only thing that might stop people would be a Turret or two, but that would be overkill.

• Create more exiting and interesting game modes
      I’m all for this, but if you have an idea for a good, fun, balanced game mode that could be added to the rotation, then you are gifted and have passed where the rest of Nox failed.

• Advertise Nox and its new features
      SS13 isn’t an easy game to advertise, unless it were on other Noxious servers or other SS13 servers (Which you would shortly get banned by an Admin for poor RP skills).

• Make the Captain an Antag
      The HoP is an antag enough. If the HoP is an antag, he gets All-Access, a near-captain’s headset, armor, and a free energy weapon to boot. The only way to weed out a HoP -antag is if you catch him off-guard or with a traitor weapon. The Captain would be even worse, that’s just asking for him to go into the armory for “security reasons” and then murder everyone on the station and disconnect inside a disposal pipe.

• Change the way that players are chosen to be antags
      The only way this would work is if players were on a set rotation of sorts. Of course this could lead to prediction of the rotation, planning of antag rounds, and the eventual exploitation and metagaming of antagonists. Antagonist selection needs to stay random, there is no better way to do this.

Pretty crap list.

• we haven’t grown bored, its the lack of admins and mods so everyone just gives up after being killed every round and when admins come on they ban innocent people killing the shit metagamers so that just adds to the problem

• Administrators

The handful of people that I’d recommend for or promote to admin aren’t active anymore.

• How about offering a better community in space?
    The biggest problem is that people on this server are just terrible.
    The griefers and the people who take revenge on the griefers next round. Grow the fuck up!

• I honestly think we should go back to the map we had before, maybe people aren’t used to it and left? The admins should also be more strict, noobs that join are grieffed to the max adn can’t defend themselves depend on admins to ban the grieffers.

• @Zetanor:

The handful of people that I’d recommend for or promote to admin aren’t active anymore.

I see two problems here:

1. Zetanor (and JetBoom too) hasn’t been playing lately, and he is surprised the people he used to play with have stopped (like him).

2. He won’t promote anyone because he doesn’t trust anyone.

That causes two effects:

1. Head Honchos are 100% disconnected from the server’s reality and player base. So they make stupid decisions such as to clear the ban list and completely replace the admins, and then don’t follow through the idea.

2. The server lacks admins because those with the power to promote them won’t do anything about it, and the old ones stop playing eventually (as is completely normal) without getting substituted.

And has two possible solutions:

1. The top admins start taking a real interest in the server again (doubtful).

2. Another DrDrew-like admin is chosen and given freedom to promote more mods and admins.

• how about we cheat our way back to the top by making bots join the game and attracting more players or some shit…i mean sure its gay but the only thing that attracts players is having players and no lag, which is why nox was good in the first place for the 8 months it was #1 on the list

you can have the most baller pimped out server of the year but nobody is even gonna look at it if it says 3 players on the server list. players started disappearing because of the ddos, server wasnt on for periods of time and people just went to the next server with many players and made a snowball effect

lack of admins aint it, when nox started the admins were so shitty they didnt do nothing. i had a picture of where i debrained like 30+ people and tossed their naked corpses outside surgery and nobody flinched. there was like 80 players on

im no expert but i think people are just overanalyzing whats wrong when its really that simple

• Administrators

SS13 really is a roleplay game now. There’s no way around that. Personally, I liked the idea of NSS13 because it reminded me of some earlier more casual SS13 servers that are either long gone or have turned into politically correct circlejerks. I thought I’d have the drive to recreate those. I didn’t. SS13 is a mess. I kept administrating and occasionally coding something because I liked interacting with the community but all the interesting players left, so there’s not much left for me. I’d bet that our admins could tell a very similar story.

About your concerns: Back while the server had a constant 60+ playerbase, we stopped punishing players and responding to adminhelps for a week or two to see what would happen. It was close to business as usual, so clearly the lack of administation isn’t a problem. The presence of online admins kept some illusion of administration but that’s not something a straight out griefer is worried about; they can just make new accounts. The problem is likely the audience. Lax rules coupled with a stupidly complex game will naturally attract the kind of imbeciles who actually enjoy clicking a 32x32 spaceman sprite to death.

What I assume happened is that those powergamers drove the interesting and/or casual people to find a server where they can have fun without some unstable dweeb killing them for taking their screwdriver. With no easy victims left wandering the station, the self-proclaimed “robust” players are left to play against others like them, which they don’t like because they’d actually meet a slight amount of resistance.

It doesn’t help that what few developers are left have better things to do than patching up the trainwreck that we know as the SS13 codebase. And I don’t know about the rest of the admins or players, but I feel like the novelty of admin interaction with the round has worn off. Icon swaps, hidden sheriff dolls, floorbot rounds and the likes all got old after a while. There’s not much left to salvage here.

And we sure as hell aren’t going to fake our playercount. You weren’t serious, were you?

• @Zetanor:

Then start screening for candidates, I know atleast one good player willling to moderate the server (CodyB).

• @Zetanor:

About your concerns: Back while the server had a constant 60+ playerbase, we stopped punishing players and responding to adminhelps for a week or two to see what would happen. It was close to business as usual, so clearly the lack of administation isn’t a problem. The presence of online admins kept some illusion of administration but that’s not something a straight out griefer is worried about; they can just make new accounts. The problem is likely the audience. Lax rules coupled with a stupidly complex game will naturally attract the kind of imbeciles who actually enjoy clicking a 32x32 spaceman sprite to death.

I see your experiment, but it’s results don’t apply here for two reasons.

A. Nobody knew that there was not going to be a response to adminhelps, more importantly they didn’t know the admins weren’t punishing the griffers. The majority of griffers would still fall in line out of fear of being banned for their misdeeds, and two weeks isn’t a long enough time table for the players to realize the lack of admin interference, which brings me to my second point

B. In your experiment, the admins were still publicly displayed as moderating the round. Even though they officially did nothing, they still served as a deterrant merely in their appearance. Nowadays, their aren’t admins on for the majority of the day. There isn’t even the illusion of a watchdog, so of course the griffers will go out and mass ruin peoples rounds.

There are of course other lurking variables in your experiment, such as a large population to police griffers themselves, an actively administered space brig in your experiment compared to the hardly looked at space brig section today, etc. I really don’t think your experiment can apply to our situation here. More importantly, I definitely don’t see it as justification to give up on a station that still has an active and dedicated player base.

All I’m asking is that you screen for candidates.

• Man, Don’t give up on Nox. It is probably the best roleplay station, Other stations are analist about everything while Nox is like cotton in the wind. Swift and gentle.  Also keep the hardcore noxers, I’ve seen the same people play and play. It is sad to watch them enter another server, Make’s me remeber the old times in nox. And may I ask why Nox is down for the count?

• Just wait for the school holidays. Watch the player numbers rise somewhat. As if by Magic.

• No one is on the server, everyone is asking about how to do shit, and then They screw up their jobs

• I don’t know why people say that lack of admins is the main reason people arent playing
    as I remember when I was an admin nobody did anything anyways, and whenever anyone played they typically were stealthminning, just so they’d get less admin helps

I guess I’d probably be more active as a dev if I had free reign over development and updating

I might consider putting up my old robustroleplay server but it’d more likely than not fall to the same thing since I just don’t give enough of a damn to do everything on my own LOL

• @Nernums:

I don’t know why people say that lack of admins is the main reason people arent playing
    as I remember when I was an admin nobody did anything anyways, and whenever anyone played they typically were stealthminning, just so they’d get less admin helps

I guess I’d probably be more active as a dev if I had free reign over development and updating

I might consider putting up my old robustroleplay server but it’d more likely than not fall to the same thing since I just don’t give enough of a damn to do everything on my own LOL

#nernumsforheaddev

• Administrators

@IMVader:

I see two problems here:

1. Zetanor (and JetBoom too) hasn’t been playing lately, and he is surprised the people he used to play with have stopped (like him).

2. He won’t promote anyone because he doesn’t trust anyone.

It was all doctor drew’s idea. I logged in literally 3 times since the server went up. I gave him the reigns and zetanor is the only person besides me who has any kind of access to the server so he adds what drew and co. want.

I’ve taken 1 or 2 people off the admin list because they’re confirmed retards but I’ve never added or been asked to add somebody.

Not much you can do about something getting old.

• please look through the mod apps and pick SOME of them

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.