Just started playing Starcraft II, having trouble

• Any noxians here play Starcraft II who can help me out?  I just started playing yesterday (I play Protoss) and have a general understanding on how everything works.  The only problem is that my build orders are always off, I can’t keep track of what’s going on in my bases, my minerals and vespian gasses start building up and go unspent because I’m not sure what to buy, and my base basically implodes because I can’t keep up. :wacko:

Any tips for me to keep the whole thing under control?  I’m just having a hard time keeping track of my whole economy across the map, and on top of that, protecting it from the other player.

Any help would be appreciated, even just a link to a good guide or something because I haven’t been able to find anything very helpful on Google.

Thanks for the replies

• Any noxians here play Starcraft II who can help me out?  I just started playing yesterday (I play Protoss) and have a general understanding on how everything works.  The only problem is that my build orders are always off, I can’t keep track of what’s going on in my bases, my minerals and vespian gasses start building up and go unspent because I’m not sure what to buy, and my base basically implodes because I can’t keep up. :wacko:

Any tips for me to keep the whole thing under control?  I’m just having a hard time keeping track of my whole economy across the map, and on top of that, protecting it from the other player.

Any help would be appreciated, even just a link to a good guide or something because I haven’t been able to find anything very helpful on Google.

Thanks for the replies

• www.day9.tv has a bunch of stuff. He has a series called Newbie Tuesdays (which was recorded during wings of liberty but a lot of it is still relevant)

• I’ll check it out, thanks

• Keep a hotkey set to certain buildings, probably somewhere in the 5-9 range since you probably won’t have that many different unit blobs to control. Use that to select multiple warpgates to spam units to spawn in and to select your Nexus to boost your production.
    Send out occasional single drones to scout the map and plant proxy pylons. Even if you don’t use them for proxy gates or whatever they’re good for telling if something’s coming.
    Invest in armor and attack damage upgrades for pretty much everything you’ll ever use as soon as you can invest safely, since every little number counts when you have dozens of units.
    If you’re sitting on a pile of resources you can always just send a handful of units to buttrush a camp you know will take losses, hopefully to destroy the other guy’s production or resource line.

• As Protoss you can press your warpgate hotkey (default w) to select all your warpgates. Make sure you are making probes and pylons. I’m guessing you’re in bronze so you want be be focusing on your macro. Getting as much money as you can and spending it. You’ll win with just numbers.

• Try out that minigame called Marine Arena, it helps you understand the mechanics of SC2 without worrying about macromanagement.

• @M4:

Try out that minigame called Marine Arena, it helps you understand the mechanics of SC2 without worrying about macromanagement.

Not really. All the units are heavily modified.

A good way to learn the mechanics of each unit is to play monobattles.

• Thanks for all the help, today I’ve just been playing AI to try different strategies.  I never thought of setting up pylons around the map for a warning system, that’s really been helping.  Also I never knew about the warpgate hotkey, that’s really helpful.  Also i noticed one of my problems when i send units out to attack I only micromanaged the battles so I basically attacked one base at a time, which was extremely inefficient and just allowed the other player to build somewhere else, so now I use the “a + click” so i can just attack bases while managing other things.

• People always build roach / marauder against Protoss which can be countered with Phoenixes and Void Rays.

Speaking about SC2, this guy has made some pretty decent songs about some of its casters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAEZzcTiMFg

• Watch replays of people who beat you. You don’t have to copy them exactly, but notice what they do which gives them an edge (different build orders and such).

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.