Questions regarding Nailing

• All questions had gotten answered. Solutions recorded here for other developers.

Problem: My map is not allowing me to nail props to brush surfaces. I can nail props together, but not to the floor. Think zs_finaldestination. Why is this? I’ve set up a logic_barricade entity that enablesthese upon OnMapSpawn with a logic_auto, but it still doesn’t work.
    Solution: Try giving he room a roof, or something. I don’t know why but adding a roof to the building I was working in suddenly made nails work.

Problem: How can I get func_physbox to be a nailable prop? I have a few of these and they don’t nail at all, even to each other. I’ve seen other maps with custom brush physic objects as potential parts of a cade.
    Solution: Play around with the Material, Mass Scale, and Strength properties. If you can destroy the func_physbox with Sandbox Weapons, it’s possible to nail it. However, its mass has to be such that you can move it easily in Zombie Survival. If you can pick up or drag the object around very easily, you should be able to nail the prop.

Problem: Using logic_nail, how do I nail a prop to a brush or another prop?
    Solution: Use these events on a logic_auto. The setname is optional. Notice the 0.05 delay on the nailto event.

• All questions had gotten answered. Solutions recorded here for other developers.

Problem: My map is not allowing me to nail props to brush surfaces. I can nail props together, but not to the floor. Think zs_finaldestination. Why is this? I’ve set up a logic_barricade entity that enablesthese upon OnMapSpawn with a logic_auto, but it still doesn’t work.
    Solution: Try giving he room a roof, or something. I don’t know why but adding a roof to the building I was working in suddenly made nails work.

Problem: How can I get func_physbox to be a nailable prop? I have a few of these and they don’t nail at all, even to each other. I’ve seen other maps with custom brush physic objects as potential parts of a cade.
    Solution: Play around with the Material, Mass Scale, and Strength properties. If you can destroy the func_physbox with Sandbox Weapons, it’s possible to nail it. However, its mass has to be such that you can move it easily in Zombie Survival. If you can pick up or drag the object around very easily, you should be able to nail the prop.

Problem: Using logic_nail, how do I nail a prop to a brush or another prop?
    Solution: Use these events on a logic_auto. The setname is optional. Notice the 0.05 delay on the nailto event.

• 1. It depends on the type of brush and texture. The brush on final destination is not solid which is why bodies fall straight through it.
    2. Give it health
    3. If you mean the prop_nail, I have never used it and it looks like there isn’t a way to make that happen.

• I’m trying on all possible textures and it’s simply not letting me nail anything. Is there something I’m missing?

• What is the brush you are trying to nail props to? A normal one or a func? And is it next to a zombie spawn?

• It’s a normal brush, but a func_detail brush also does not allow nailing. I’ve spawned some ragdolls in sandbox mode and they don’t fall through the floor, so I’m assuming that means its solid. Add me on Steam if you’d like, I can bounce information off of you faster.

Some things I’ve tried nailing props to:
    tile/tilefloor011a
    wood/woodwall016a
    props/carpetfloor008a
    wood/woodstair002b

and so on.

The only thing I have been able to successfully nail is one prop_physics to another prop_physics.

• Add me.

• The nails started working after I sealed my building with a roof. I don’t know why, but they did.

However, this prop_physbox shit is seriously getting on my nerves. I found out that certain material types cannot be nailed at all, but no matter what I do I can’t make two prop_physbox entities nail reliably or consistently.

This altar is two props. The stone table is one prop_physbox, the wooden base which it rests on is another. When you spawn in the game, you cannot nail these props to each other despite the fact that they’re literally sitting on top of each other. I can nail either of them to the floor or walls, but even then I can’t nail them to each other. However, if I nail a physbox to a prop which is nailed to the worldspawn, I can then nail the physboxes to that prop, to each other, and to the worldspawn. It makes no fucking sense and I have absolutely no idea why it’s happening.

On the other issue, I’m using logic_auto to fire some events for nailing more physboxes to the wall.

This should take the nail, take the physbox, and then attach it to the worldspawn. The attachment between the nail and the physbox works; when the prop becomes awake the nail falls with the physbox. However, I cannot remove the nail, and it does not affix to the wall. If I take the fallen prop, nail it to the wall myself, I can then remove the prop_nail.

Everything about this is wonky as fuck and I’m spending 200x more time on this than I should.

• Try adding a 0.05 second delay to your nailto call.

• @JetBoom:

Try adding a 0.05 second delay to your nailto call.

Worked. It’s good now. Thanks.

For the benefit of all mankind, these are the settings used to make a physbox a nailable prop.

Pro-tip: Do not make the “Prop Data” Metal. I don’t think Pottery or Glass works either, but Metal is a big one. If your physbox cannot be destroyed with weaponry in sandbox mode, it can never be a nailable prop. If your prop is going to be nailed in such a way that it does not rest upon a flat surface, flag it as “Start Asleep” so that when you load the map in Sandbox it doesn’t look like your buildings suffered an earthquake.

prop_physbox still being weird though. Just going to ignore it for now because they can conceivably be useful, but obviously I’d like them to function as natural props.

• I don’t use prop data because all it does is modify the strength and material for you automatically and you have already set those properties yourself.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.