New EFT Map…

• Ok, well i’m back again (xD) and this time i actually spent some more time on making this map: eft_spacejump_b1
    The thing i did different on this map from the others is that i literally sketched out a floor plan and its actually turned out much better that what i had previously done (just making a standard football field in different enviroments) this one is quite a compact map with yellow jump pads (yay!) a speed ball and a different layout than standard maps with more of a race for the ball that the 2 teams running @ each other. Let me know what you think and yes lighting is NOT complete I spent the majority of my time testing the jump-pads values and spacing the different levels until it was good.

Green Arrows Are The Jump Pads

• Ok, well i’m back again (xD) and this time i actually spent some more time on making this map: eft_spacejump_b1
    The thing i did different on this map from the others is that i literally sketched out a floor plan and its actually turned out much better that what i had previously done (just making a standard football field in different enviroments) this one is quite a compact map with yellow jump pads (yay!) a speed ball and a different layout than standard maps with more of a race for the ball that the 2 teams running @ each other. Let me know what you think and yes lighting is NOT complete I spent the majority of my time testing the jump-pads values and spacing the different levels until it was good.

Green Arrows Are The Jump Pads

• Looks, way different compared to the other eft maps.

I’m a little impressed.

• Your maps are kind of slowly getting to a basic level, the maps layout is trash though since if you grabbed the ball there’s only really 1 route you would bother doing since anything else is too much of a detour. Plus the extremely basic boxes and outlines edges look similar to my map, not a problem but people my instinctual think ripoff so you should go crazy and break up geometry or try different shapes for platforms and add diagonals.

If you want a space map you might be better off thinking of either thinking of something different like playing on/in a space station or on a ship with goals at either side running though the cargo bays or something.

You really just need to practice making and designing random things and getting your head around the hammer editor and how source engine works.

I personally think you should request your mapping topics to be merged to create a xeons mapping thread so you can post all your ideas in a single area without annoying everyone else making a new map topic every few days. If you ever come up with a good map idea in that thread though make a separate topic for it then when the time is right.

• @Neko_Baron:

the maps layout is trash though since if you grabbed the ball there’s only really 1 route you would bother doing since anything else is too much of a detour.

You could go forward– you could pass it up to the middle overlooking platforms or you could try to get speedball
    Still more creative than bloodbowl and handegg in a way.

@Neko_Baron:

Plus the extremely basic boxes and outlines edges look similar to my map

Truthfully i did take the jump pads and the outline but i did use some other aspects like the dome spawns from turbines and ramp hoop from coconut club.

@Neko_Baron:

If you want a space map you might be better off thinking of either thinking of something different like playing on/in a space station or on a ship with goals at either side running though the cargo bays or something.

I tried to base this off something like skystep lastly i couldnt model the stuff like cargo bays– i had an idea of having asteroids crash into the field @ random but i couldn’t do that either

@Cloudonian:

Looks, way different compared to the other eft maps.

I’m a little impressed.

Thanks

My creativity isn’t the greatest so coming up with ideas is hard because its either overly complicated and beyond my reach due to not knowing how to model :/
    Also we have no clue how the map would play due to its distinctive layout gameplay > graphics (to a certain extent)
    One Last Note: Gravity is at 80% so if the gravity is set at 100% jump pads may be affected

• I don’t see space station-y things (jets, pipes, etc) under the platforms. This sort of ruins the effect. I won’t count it against you though, the only other “proper” space map (in RTP) we had was susceptible to this too, glass everywhere and only two jets with an extremely huge map.

• The star field looks like a cube with a star texture. Remedy this by grabbing the texture from the .gcf, applying fisheye to it with either photoshop or gimp, then pakratting the skybox texture in.

• Fix the edge “cube” textures, they’re bugging me.

• You don’t need to bother with lighting, the thing about 100% outdoor space maps like these is you can leave them fullbright and explain that it’s “starlight” illuminating the entire thing.

other then that, a very good improvement, the rings don’t look like stop signs anymore which is neat.
    Suggestions:

• Add a (small) fence around the longer routes to make them more worth going for. I know I’d take the longer routes in a map like this if it meant not losing the ball when someone lands a hit on me.

• Move the goals a bit further. If you can hit the goal with a single throw of the ball as soon as you get to it in the middle then it’s not going to be fun when pros figure out how to do it. See: eft_soccer, eft_big_metal (though you have to take maybe 5 or 6 steps to do it)

• @commandhat:

• I don’t see space station-y things (jets, pipes, etc) under the platforms. This sort of ruins the effect. I won’t count it against you though, the only other “proper” space map (in RTP) we had was susceptible to this too, glass everywhere and only two jets with an extremely huge map.

• The star field looks like a cube with a star texture. Remedy this by grabbing the texture from the .gcf, applying fisheye to it with either photoshop or gimp, then pakratting the skybox texture in.

• Fix the edge “cube” textures, they’re bugging me.

• You don’t need to bother with lighting, the thing about 100% outdoor space maps like these is you can leave them fullbright and explain that it’s “starlight” illuminating the entire thing.

other then that, a very good improvement, the rings don’t look like stop signs anymore which is neat.
    Suggestions:

• Add a (small) fence around the longer routes to make them more worth going for. I know I’d take the longer routes in a map like this if it meant not losing the ball when someone lands a hit on me.

• Move the goals a bit further. If you can hit the goal with a single throw of the ball as soon as you get to it in the middle then it’s not going to be fun when pros figure out how to do it. See: eft_soccer, eft_big_metal (though you have to take maybe 5 or 6 steps to do it)

Surprisingly its not full bright– i have a light_environment coming from the direction of the planet to give the effect the moon has on earth in a way-- hence the light shadows if you look
    Ok i can add some pipes and or other stuff–
    That fisheye effect thing is quite intresting really-- but im afraid it would mess with the planet ill try it out i have gimp so it shouldnt be a problem
    Fences are no problem–
    I’ve tried to throw it in from the middle platform but it falls just short from the closest corner of the middle platform to the goal

Instead of f*ing around with textures i found a new skybox that looks nicer than the old one

• @Xeon897:

but im afraid it would mess with the planet

All you’re doing is getting rid of edges in the skybox. The only way it would affect the planet is if you had it on more then one side of the skybox, or the planet was way too close to the edge.

• @commandhat:

All you’re doing is getting rid of edges in the skybox. The only way it would affect the planet is if you had it on more then one side of the skybox, or the planet was way too close to the edge.

its ok i found another skybox that would work and this one is higher quality

In the past 40 min. the map already looks tremendously different
    I found some lovely pipes to use so ill add those around the sides of the outer ring ish part
    Sadly, i’m going to be out all of tomorrow so you wont be seeing much of me!

• Please add some pizazz. It would look better than Handegg, and no offense {YIFF}Neko, but all he added was a few jump pads to add pizzazz to his map,other than it looks like a sky metal. Surprise me.

• @Cloudonian:

Please add some pizazz. It would look better than Handegg, and no offense {YIFF}Neko, but all he added was a few jump pads to add pizzazz to his map,other than it looks like a sky metal. Surprise me.

Me + Pzazz = Overkill
    This is a Work in Progress thread so sure, I’ll try not to get this stuff 2 crazy.

• Overkill = Everyone will actually  pay attention to his.

Just look at eft_soccer thread

• I’ve pakratted all the custom textures in and compressed it to a .bz2 which’s compressing power is amazing
    (25mb to 7mb) I added music, changed the outlines textures and skybox and also added some railings to the speedball path. I tried adding pipes in all but it just ended up looking completely stupid– so here’s eft_spacejump_b2.bsp.bz2 you may find it to be a little small but it’s probably big enough for 30 people it might get a little clustered but thats ok (?)
    Tell me what you think…
    Still Work in Progress [WIP] so any recommendations are appreciated

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/l9w9fk9kkxxx32n/eft_spacejump_b2.bz2

• sorry i forgot to add that please tell me if its missing a texture so i can pakrat it in later

• Ignore Cloudonian, he’s a moron.

Fretta – the gamemode base EFT is built around – is designed around small LAN parties (up to 24 players), so you should still be fine.

• Do you like the new texture I chose as the outline– and the skybox?
    I also added some lights inside the speedball/goals

• Layout and size looks a hell of a whole lot better than eft_sky_metal. But enough of sky/space/ramp shit, can we get some more creative maps like eft_soccer?

• Actually i was eyeing some tombstone props and though of making a graveyard map– i can certainly add some more ramps and stuff if you so desire

EDIT:
    I Am Officially Making This My Mapping Thread As Recommended By Neko_Baron.

• eft_abstract_b1

This Map is a daytime map that’s in the sky like some other maps this is [WIP] not released so, this probably wont make it to release but why not just let it out for comments? If you guys like it i could continue to detail and upload it for jetboom to add on a whim (deja vou) lol… well thats that.

• Very chunky and blocky, and you only used two textures for the entire map.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.