[WIP/RELEASE] eft_sky_metal

• An EFT map I threw together in about 5 hours as a mess around to get used to the size and concepts I could use for other EFT maps.

Notes:
    Only did basic testing, IE the goals and the speed ball hoop work.
    I cant seem to force weapon spawns in certain areas which is a shame (I could probably override it but would prefer a supported weapon spawn point, instead of using player spawn points)
    running buildcubemaps with the EFT gamemode seems to have built them with the HUD overlapping, thankfully nothing really reflective so you shouldn’t notice.
    The map actual disk size is tiny due to larger shadow map size (you wouldn’t notice anyway).

The map is large and running to the goal by yourself is not going to be easy, its designed for passing or using the ramp/one way drops. The speed ball hoops requires that most hated of all concepts known as teamwork.

Newer Screenshot

New Download Version
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9441798/mapping/eft_sky_metal_beta3.7z

If its accepted I can update it if needed, if not I’ll just leave it to die. I didn’t want to waste time with any custom sounds or anything if its not going to be used in the first place.

• An EFT map I threw together in about 5 hours as a mess around to get used to the size and concepts I could use for other EFT maps.

Notes:
    Only did basic testing, IE the goals and the speed ball hoop work.
    I cant seem to force weapon spawns in certain areas which is a shame (I could probably override it but would prefer a supported weapon spawn point, instead of using player spawn points)
    running buildcubemaps with the EFT gamemode seems to have built them with the HUD overlapping, thankfully nothing really reflective so you shouldn’t notice.
    The map actual disk size is tiny due to larger shadow map size (you wouldn’t notice anyway).

The map is large and running to the goal by yourself is not going to be easy, its designed for passing or using the ramp/one way drops. The speed ball hoops requires that most hated of all concepts known as teamwork.

Newer Screenshot

New Download Version
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9441798/mapping/eft_sky_metal_beta3.7z

If its accepted I can update it if needed, if not I’ll just leave it to die. I didn’t want to waste time with any custom sounds or anything if its not going to be used in the first place.

• @Neko_Baron:

If its accepted I can update it if needed, if not I’ll just leave it to die.

no.

Keep working on it and make a finalized version you are proud of.  The carrot-on-a-stick strategy to having your map added isn’t very enticing, believe it or not.

• @Nukkun:

Keep working on it and make a finalized version you are proud of.  The carrot-on-a-stick strategy to having your map added isn’t very enticing, believe it or not.

I’ve made a number of maps before and a lot of em will never see the light of day for either sucking or I realise they’d be no fun to actually play and ditch em and usually come up with a much nicer idea, the best way to do it is prototyping a rough version or simple ideas and get them tested early. Plus your suggesting I didn’t put any effort into this which is not the case and it is highly optimised, also this is a near finalised version but until I can get it played on a populated server and see exactly how it plays out I can not happily say it is finished.
    If the map turns out to be junk and no fun to play what’s the point of wasting even more time on it when I can learn what does and doesn’t work when mapping for EFT and come up with better ideas.

I have wasted a ton of hours on much larger maps before and then realising its either too complexed or the layout is terrible, saying I did this in 5 hours might seem like I was being lazy but I actually take it serriously and use my time effectively and have had a lot of practice with the SDK.

• Most mappers I know have their friends test play the map, and don’t expect a popular server to do it for them.    And I’m not implying you put no work into it, I’m reminding you that you said it very well may need updating.

• Administrators

It looks decent enough but nothing that different from the other sky maps.

• @JetBoom:

It looks decent enough but nothing that different from the other sky maps.

I lack the modelling skills to do anything epic like sky ships but I was considering adding jets to the platforms for detail and maybe a few jump pads if needed for better manoeuvrability. It pretty is just designed to be a sky map with a number of paths and options on where to throw to instead of a grab the ball and run to the goal by yourself.

• Administrators

You should add some gimmicks to the map. Here’s some ideas I thought up almost immediately.

• Cannons that ragdoll you and throws you to the other side of the map using trigger_abspush and trigger_knockdown.
    • Goals that move back and forth.
    • Punch huts like in eft_minecraft.
    • Teleporters
    • Air tunnels that ragdoll you and throw you out another side.
    • Use of the Magnet Ball powerup.

EFT is all about random fun.

• @JetBoom:

Please use this on your map

• @JetBoom:

You should add some gimmicks to the map. Here’s some ideas I thought up almost immediately.

• Cannons that ragdoll you and throws you to the other side of the map using trigger_abspush and trigger_knockdown.
    • Goals that move back and forth.
    • Punch huts like in eft_minecraft.
    • Teleporters
    • Air tunnels that ragdoll you and throw you out another side.

EFT is all about random fun.

Cannons would fit in a few locations, though unless they’re huge a player wouldn’t fit in one.
    I though about wind tunnels for another map before but not on this map since they wont fit well.
    As for magnet ball, someone needs to update the gfc since the only options are speed and blitz. From what I read in the game mode description would work well on a map like this.

Edit: Haha, tried adding cannons to fire people ragdolled to the ball spawn but you keep dying from fall damage.

• Add shallow water at the landing point.  That’ll prevent them from taking any damage.

• @Nukkun:

Add shallow water at the landing point.  That’ll prevent them from taking any damage.

But that would make it so people can jump from the top ledges down into the water which I don’t want to be possible. I’m just going to make jump pads instead for shorter jumps around the map.

• This is really good the yellow-black tape reminds me of like a construction site.

1. Lighting could be brought up slightly.
    2. I would add 2 more jump pads so that its easier to get from the “ballspawn” to the “speedball” ring.

Other than that its awesome, its not my decision but you guys should add it, there’s only like 15 EFT maps so this would be a nice edition.

• @Xeon897:

This is really good, the yellow-black tape reminds me of like a construction site, lighting could be brought up slightly but who am i to say… jump pads are really the best way to go really but i would hope you don’t take fall damage when jumping… Name could be better but i know how hard it is to come up with one so i guess its fine, Lastly I would add a _v1 to tell that is a release version :D

b1

• no never-mind i noticed about the version, i edited my post correcting myself

• Updated the first post and download if no one notice, added jump pads for moving around faster but they’re arranged so you cant just grab the ball and jump pad to a goal.

• Administrators

10x worse than skyline. At least in skyline you can jump to other rails and platforms to avoid people. This is just going to be constant cluster tackling with the ball falling off 90% of the time.

You need to add offensive jump pads or some way to get around faster once you have the ball. Either that or make it easier to get to the goals because at this point it’s going to be harder than the old version of handegg.

Side notes: there’s no ambience and the lighting is very dark. The few spotlights you added don’t do anything.

• That’s what i said better lighting and more jump pads other than that its better than albino, (it probably is already better than albino)

(Jetboom your the boss even i know that much… :P)

EDIT: How exactly did you manage to get those jumpad’s? I can’t seem to find them anywhere… :/

• @JetBoom:

10x worse than skyline. At least in skyline you can jump to other rails and platforms to avoid people. This is just going to be constant cluster tackling with the ball falling off 90% of the time.

You need to add offensive jump pads or some way to get around faster once you have the ball. Either that or make it easier to get to the goals because at this point it’s going to be harder than the old version of handegg.

Side notes: there’s no ambience and the lighting is very dark. The few spotlights you added don’t do anything.

I was hoping to make a map where people had to pass the ball around instead of a cluster fuck giant swarm bum rush and people playing the hero running the entire map dodging and weaving by themselves.

I didn’t want to add too many jump pads else I’d risk making it way too easy for experienced players to score by themselves flying around the map. Plus EFT is more about the ground combat and on top of that due to the elevation the jump pads only work when the end point is around the same height or higher else you suffer knock-down from falling.

I really just want the basics of the map to be tested, I could spend another 20 hours adding spotlights and effects but if it was tested in an actual match first we could see if the maps layout actually works or if its just trash (In which place I would either edit it or give up and use one of my better ideas), half the EFT maps are pretty trash anyway. All I want is for the chance to test the damn map with a good number of players because running around it with 2/3 friends does not count as decent testing feedback to me.

I was trying for a darker map to make it a bit more varied and different to other maps, I know it needs more lights and was considering turning the platforms into sort of an oil rig platforms or even played around skyscrapers (completely unrealistic  but whatever).

And Xeon there is no jump pad entity, you use the trigger abspush brush to override a players velocity. I just added some detail brushes to give the jump pad a much better visual feel.

• This map is actually not bad at all. I wouldn’t mind testing it out.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.