A New Map of Mine…

• Well, I’ve done it again, this time not a horrible… at least I hope not…
    I have made a second map for the amazing gamemode “Extreme Football Throwdown” (EFT)
    And do i have to say with this feedback from my previous failure of a map (eft_orangebox_v1/eft_partybox_v1)
    I have much improved as a mapper :D! As, yet i am still not perfect so don’t rage at me (and i am not a troll)…

Well Anyways my biggest problem currently is coming up with a title not a name and i want you guys to come up with a title for the map… ive come up with eft_powerups and eft_hooptoss but im not sure about those names… :/
    Here’s Pics to help out with helping me find a name (helpception)

Key:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Orange Half Hoops- Blitz Ball Powerup
    Yellow Half Hoops- Speed Ball Powerup
    Blue Hoop: The Hoop Red Try’s To Throw The Ball In
    Red Hoop: The Hoop Blue Try’s To Throw The Ball In
    18 Cars- The Things That Go Boom On The Other Team

Hopefully you guys don’t think its shit, I’ll upload the .bsp if people really want it, ie authority… lol

• Well, I’ve done it again, this time not a horrible… at least I hope not…
    I have made a second map for the amazing gamemode “Extreme Football Throwdown” (EFT)
    And do i have to say with this feedback from my previous failure of a map (eft_orangebox_v1/eft_partybox_v1)
    I have much improved as a mapper :D! As, yet i am still not perfect so don’t rage at me (and i am not a troll)…

Well Anyways my biggest problem currently is coming up with a title not a name and i want you guys to come up with a title for the map… ive come up with eft_powerups and eft_hooptoss but im not sure about those names… :/
    Here’s Pics to help out with helping me find a name (helpception)

Key:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Orange Half Hoops- Blitz Ball Powerup
    Yellow Half Hoops- Speed Ball Powerup
    Blue Hoop: The Hoop Red Try’s To Throw The Ball In
    Red Hoop: The Hoop Blue Try’s To Throw The Ball In
    18 Cars- The Things That Go Boom On The Other Team

Hopefully you guys don’t think its shit, I’ll upload the .bsp if people really want it, ie authority… lol

• Feels dull

• yea i kinda felt the same way on the textures like i said on the old thread

EDIT: So sally do u play on the eft server occasionally?

• you should post in the Mapping section of the forum instead of posting in Extreme Football Throwdown. I would also use the tags [WIP] or [RELEASE] to signify whether if it’s still a work in progress or a final version.

Would you mind uploading this current map as well as eft_orangebox_v2? That way, we can provide input by exploring your maps and seeing what should be changed.

• I’ll do it tomorrow a little late where i am.
    eft_partybox_v1 was version 2 of eft_orangebox_v1 i just kinda renamed it, and i still don’t have a name for this 2nd map i made xD, ill call it eft_untitled_v1
    (Thats just some clarification)

EDIT: Sorry about the thread not being in the Mapping Section, my bad…

• This map is a ton better than your last one. Still not EFT ready:

• You just have powerups placed in random rings in the middle of nowhere. The way the map is positioned, it would actually be harmful to go after these powerups.

• I can’t fault your choice of textures, wall meets wall and floor meets floor. That said, you could do a bit better in terms of texture variety, and try to make the floors and edges meet the walls properly. Currently, the walls look like some lazy bastard just slapped a texture on them and called it a day.

• One thing is seriously confusing me about the map. You say “the” red and blue hoops are the goals to shoot into, but I see two goals. This may just be me reading the screenshots wrong.

• You’ve spammed clown cars again, and the clown cars can hit all team spawns, again. Broken Bones Bridge has a bunch of cars because not only are you given a few seconds to run in between cars, you can pick up a powerup from the spawns and maul the guy standing up there. A better idea would be a weak weapon replacing the clown cars, like a watermelon or beatdown stick.

• Why the hell are there textures on the top of the map where players can’t reach? Just add a clip brush below the tops of the walls and nodraw the shit you’re not supposed to see.

• The rings look like rotated octagons. At least use 20 sided rings so they don’t look like shit.

• You could probably turn the goals into props to solve an irritating gameplay problem where balls that hit the side of something fly father then you threw them.

• The map looks a little small, but that’s just me nakking on you. eft_big_metal is tiny and it’s still somewhat good.

• Your map is vulnerable to this bug.

As for the thread not being in the Mapping Section, it’ll probably get moved by a moderator when they see it.

• I agree with Commandhat, though if anything it looks too big instead of too small from the screenshots, though probably because I haven’t actually downloaded it and played it. Also what’s with you and clown cars? Also you really don’t need blitz ball power up rings since speed ball is infinitely better. As for the visuals, it’s a little too flat, maybe you could make it like Handegg or Big Metal and place walls and catwalks to make it look nicer and give more options to what you can do on the map. Also the skybox is rather bland, maybe you could make it a night sky which leads me to my next complaint about the visuals; there doesn’t seem to be enough lighting and shading. Still, try not to make too many lighting effects or make it too dark, or the map will look ugly, or it will be too dark. If you made it night time, you could place stadium lights around the map to give it a lighter feeling, a bit like how Big Metal does it, and to some extent Soccer. Also the walls could probably use more detail, since they all use one texture and it looks a bit sloppy. My final complaint is that there’s nowhere to reset the ball, so maybe you could place a small little river next to the goals with a bridge like in Albino, and maybe some spike pits here and there like in Blood Bowl. Actually, I can think of a lot of cool things that could be added to the map but there’s probably too many so I’ll just suggest one. Getting the ball up to the top half of the map is more hassle than is worth it, so maybe you could make tubes that lead the ball upwards, making it more worth it to get speed ball or blitz ball.

• Actually about the giant spaces where the powerup rings are, i could move those powerups change the blitz balls to speedballs and add them at the bottom of the ramps and add 4 giant spike pits to reset like bloodbowl where the powerups used to be, I’ll add nodraw to the “unseeable” areas 

BTW does anyone have a good recommendation for a night skybox?
    @commandhat: the map’s 1st story is shaped like a + and the ball spawns in the middle, player spawns are on the top and bottom of the + and the hoops are on the left and right, blue trys to score in the red hoop and vice versa.

• Administrators

You should decide on a theme when you make a map so you can fill it with life (props, decals, displacements, etc). For example, your map could keep the same exact layout while also having the look and feel of the combine citadel or of a factory.

• The powerups don’t trigger on people not carrying the ball. A good idea would be a ring under the top platform that gives the speed ball upgrade.

• For a night skybox, don’t worry about it, night maps are hard to pull off correctly.

• The spike pits… Seems like it’d be counterproductive, unless you left some space for anyone who throws the ball up there. I could see people throwing the ball up to the second floor for teammates to score the goal with.

• The thing about powerups is that they’re meant to help you on your way if you spend a little effort getting to them, like speed ball on Coconut Club. Going out of your way just to run down to a ramp and pick it up is counterproductive, unless a team of about 3 or 4 people worked together. Good powerup placement would be speedball inside a ring floating above the ball placement.

• I put 4 speedballs infront of the ramps near spawn so if there were 8 guys charging you, you could run back grab speed ball run up the ramp and score from floor 2,
    The spike pits are really for clearing the ball and shoving enemys into them, ill add the ring just because you recommended it ;)

Still need a name… lol

• @Xeon897:

ive come up with eft_powerups and eft_hooptoss but im not sure about those names… :/

Once again, more generic, unoriginal names. The name of the map should be based on the THEME of the map, not the obvious. If your going for a Combine themed map, add some Combine decals, props, overlays, and a 3D skybox (EX: the Citadel and some other Combine themed buildings) to help establish the theme since players will be inside a big box. You can then name it something like eft_nova_5 or eft_ravaged_citadel. The map should be creative and attract players, not be bland.

Also, I really hate the default skybox. Change it to some other day skybox or something.

• @DeathFire54:

eft_nova_5 or eft_ravaged_citadel

ooh, you are highly skilled in creating names. Actually.

• Funny thing is its not the default skybox, i came up with an idea: eft_industrial_b1? (im assuming its in beta)

Anyways New Pics: Spike Pits, Speedball Arches, Speedball Hoop

• Your rings still look like thick, transparent stop signs.

• Spike pits need a trigger kill on them. Suiciding manually isn’t obvious, even with our chat messages that kill you (“blah”).

• Consider moving the light source so that the shadows are actually shadows and not black shapes representing the ground above them. Gives daylight/moonlight maps a surprising amount of atmosphere.

• You still need to get rid of the clown car spam. Either get rid of them or replace them with watermelons.

• That’s actually a better speedball hoop idea then what I came up with. Though I would rotate the hoop so it would be in line with the goals.

• My speedball hoop idea was as a replacement for the spawn speedball gates, not in addition to.

• If this map is going to be an industrial map, where’s the industrial feel? There needs to be props, effects (maybe there could be a small smoke effeect to signify smog), etc. that all give it a feel of fighting in an industrial complex.

• -Spike pits do have a killing trigger its just they’re near the bottom so you die when you hit the floor i’ll make them taller.
    -I’ll move the light_environment entity (aka the shadow caster)
    -Maybe i could make the cars a variety of weapons?
    -Ok, i can get rid of the speedball gates and rotate the top speedball hoop
    -I’ll check to see if there are smoke emitters and maybe some crane props coming over the sides would be cool?

Sorry, for the late response your site was down and i was panicking thinking it was my end, lol.

• It’s not my site, It’s Jetboom’s. I’m just a game moderator, meaning I have no say in if this map gets approved or not. I’m just trying to help you improve your map.
    –-

• If you can scatter the weapons (not clown cars, weapons) so they spawn in a different spot each time, that’d be amazing. The lazy man’s way to do it would be to parent the weapon spawn to a moving brush.

• Cranes and some light smoke over the whole map – light enough to not obstruct my view with particles – would be good enough for me. Maybe some pipes around the corners to add atmosphere, otherwise that’s all.

• Seriously, your hoops looks like stop signs rotated 15 degrees. It’s not hard to remove the brushes and replace them with hoops that are smoother.

• Just throwing an idea, this might make or break the map - have a water ball powerup at the top of the ramps, fill the spike pits with water (or acid, whichever), and lower the kill trigger to below the surface of the water? Would allow the ball carrier to troll the enemy team by running out on water so his chasers fall in the water, then running back onto the platform and passing it closer to the goal.

• Might be a good idea to move the goals farther away from the middle. Would introduce hallway melee syndrome, but randomly placed weapons would probably fix it.

• While we’re at it, add a small ramp to each team’s side, close to spawn, to prevent the bug I linked. Should be about a third of the height of an info_player_spawn, but should be sloped to about the same height as the current ramps to prevent losing speed due to them.

–-
    By the way; hold alt (on desktop keyboards) and press 7 to produce a bullet point.

• Are those bots or players?

• 1 bot, 1 player, we started messing around and gangbanging the bot xD

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.