Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Appealing Permaban

• Your BYOND Key: Enduar
    Your IC name: Calvin Hall
    Your job (syndie?): Cargo Tech
    Your ban (chat? job? game?): “Reason: Metagaming cago techs, full riot gear style…”
    Your previous bans: None
    Who banned you: “You have been banned by zincon.”
    Reason provided: Stated above, Cargo techs with riot gear making a move.
    When you were banned: Minutes before this post
    Ban length: Permanent
    Why you think you were banned: I think it was made obvious by the reasoning

Why you should be unbanned: I literally started playing this game yesterday. When I started the match it was business as usual (I’d chose Cargo Bay because everything I’d read said it was a decent tutorial for learning the game basics). After a while I noticed the quartermaster gearing up in his office and I asked what was going on, he called me in (at this point he was already wielding a shotgun). Playing off that I was now in a sealed room with a clearly armed and dangerous person I complied with his actions (he had me lead the way to the different locations we were trying to reach, helping him achieve his “objective”, which at the time was to reach the AI, then to take the bridge).

I wasn’t aware that this tactic was considered serious perma-ban level griefing and was infact trying to keep in the roleplay of getting thrown into a situation I had little hope of escaping alive. I had actually been trying to be careful as I learned the game to maintain a degree of roleplay and not breach the metagame so I hope this ban can be overlooked in the case of a seriously new player. I would have discussed it with the Admin had I been given a warning or anything once the infraction became apparent, however the ban was executed mere moments after receiving the first message from the Admin, the only communication being this:

– Administrator private message –
    Admin PM from-Zincon: M-m-m-metagame.
    Click on the administrator’s name to reply.

PM to-Admins: Can you explain please? I was intimidated into helping

Thank you, and sorry for causing a disruption.

• Your BYOND Key: Enduar
    Your IC name: Calvin Hall
    Your job (syndie?): Cargo Tech
    Your ban (chat? job? game?): “Reason: Metagaming cago techs, full riot gear style…”
    Your previous bans: None
    Who banned you: “You have been banned by zincon.”
    Reason provided: Stated above, Cargo techs with riot gear making a move.
    When you were banned: Minutes before this post
    Ban length: Permanent
    Why you think you were banned: I think it was made obvious by the reasoning

Why you should be unbanned: I literally started playing this game yesterday. When I started the match it was business as usual (I’d chose Cargo Bay because everything I’d read said it was a decent tutorial for learning the game basics). After a while I noticed the quartermaster gearing up in his office and I asked what was going on, he called me in (at this point he was already wielding a shotgun). Playing off that I was now in a sealed room with a clearly armed and dangerous person I complied with his actions (he had me lead the way to the different locations we were trying to reach, helping him achieve his “objective”, which at the time was to reach the AI, then to take the bridge).

I wasn’t aware that this tactic was considered serious perma-ban level griefing and was infact trying to keep in the roleplay of getting thrown into a situation I had little hope of escaping alive. I had actually been trying to be careful as I learned the game to maintain a degree of roleplay and not breach the metagame so I hope this ban can be overlooked in the case of a seriously new player. I would have discussed it with the Admin had I been given a warning or anything once the infraction became apparent, however the ban was executed mere moments after receiving the first message from the Admin, the only communication being this:

– Administrator private message –
    Admin PM from-Zincon: M-m-m-metagame.
    Click on the administrator’s name to reply.

PM to-Admins: Can you explain please? I was intimidated into helping

Thank you, and sorry for causing a disruption.

• You and the QM were walking around in full riot gear hunting down heads of staff with your combat shotguns with seemingly no in-game communication.
    We don’t take lightly on metagamers.
    Also, you would even be banned on Baystation for RP logic like that.

• Hunting down heads of staff? I fired a shotgun once and that was immediately before the ban, we hardly accomplished anything- I think there was exactly one casualty from the whole ordeal, and I was banned before the guy even stopped breathing. Seemingly no in-game communication? I can tell you now there was plenty- is there implications there was outside communication and it was planned griefing or something? Because I’m telling you there wasn’t. If there’s a permaban for this, so be it- I’ll find other servers and simply won’t make the same mistake twice, however I’d hope there could at least be some sort of chance at redemption here- First time offense with no chance of appeal is pretty harsh by any standards and I’m more than happy to say, considering the severity and expediency of punishment, it won’t happen again.

Unfortunately you’ll have to take my word on it, but there was no outside-communication or metagame at all, much less the intent to grief- I don’t know the player who was playing quartermaster, nor am I interested in “having fun” at the expense of others’ enjoyment.

I’m not even asking that the ban be outright revoked, simply that a permaban is excessive- If anything could I atleast request that it be shortened to week or month so at least by the time it’s resolved, should I return to the server, I’ll have learned the game better to not run into scenarios like this.

Users

Topics