Sounds not working in Gmod

• (deja vu. likely a repost)

Made a map.  Has:
    1 looped custom sound that plays at map start (in certain area)
    2 looped stock sounds that play at map start (in certain areas, both from CSS I think)
    1 triggerable sound from HL2.

When testing in CSS and HL2 you can hear all sounds fine but when tested in GMOD they do not play (even soundscapes).  Yes, the sounds are available in each game’s directory.

I asked Pufulet about it and he’s noticed that sound misbehaved too but had no explanation (he’s not a sound expert).  Yet, I look at maps like Upward and the Pirates of the Caribbean and they play all their custom sounds and soundscapes fine, dramatic music and all.

So I know map sounds can work in GMOD, but on my map they aren’t.  I need to know why.

Help?

• (deja vu. likely a repost)

Made a map.  Has:
    1 looped custom sound that plays at map start (in certain area)
    2 looped stock sounds that play at map start (in certain areas, both from CSS I think)
    1 triggerable sound from HL2.

When testing in CSS and HL2 you can hear all sounds fine but when tested in GMOD they do not play (even soundscapes).  Yes, the sounds are available in each game’s directory.

I asked Pufulet about it and he’s noticed that sound misbehaved too but had no explanation (he’s not a sound expert).  Yet, I look at maps like Upward and the Pirates of the Caribbean and they play all their custom sounds and soundscapes fine, dramatic music and all.

So I know map sounds can work in GMOD, but on my map they aren’t.  I need to know why.

Help?

• If you believe the bug exists in gmod itself, report the issue to garry.

@garry:

Bugs and issues should be posted here:

https://github.com/garrynewman/garry…ues?state=open

Make sure to search first - to make sure the issue hasn’t already been fixed.

I too have noticed zs_obj_pharmacy doesn’t play the hl2 music sometimes.

• Firstly, https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscape

I haven’t really researched or tried this before but it appears that they need a text file which tells the engine what to do with the sound in the map.

‘The engine uses the soundscapes_manifest.txt file to find all its soundscapes files’

‘To list a new soundscape in the manifest, simply add the line
    "file" "location and file name"
    within the curly brackets.
    Typically the location and file name will be “scripts/soundscapes_custom map name.txt”.’

I guess if soundscapes aren’t working you could always try making ambient_generic do the job somehow.

And yes like said above, it might just be a problem with gmod

• Yeah, that’s the thing, I’m not using soundscapes.  I’m using ambient_generics and one point_clientcommand.  The sounds work fine in CSS and HL2, it’s just GMOD that’s misbehaving and no idea why.

I’ll test with the fresh install the SteamPipe update gave me to see if it was a bug on my end that caused the error.

Beginning to think I should read up on soundscapes to see if that will work if the next phase of testing fails.

• @theforkofjustice:

Yeah, that’s the thing, I’m not using soundscapes.  I’m using ambient_generics and one point_clientcommand.  The sounds work fine in CSS and HL2, it’s just GMOD that’s misbehaving and no idea why.

I’ll test with the fresh install the SteamPipe update gave me to see if it was a bug on my end that caused the error.

Beginning to think I should read up on soundscapes to see if that will work if the next phase of testing fails.

May be late but point_clientcommand doesn’t work in garrysmod.

• @Sally:

May be late but point_clientcommand doesn’t work in garrysmod.

Not late in the slightest (but I did forget about this thread).

If point_clientcommand doesn’t work in gmod then what do I use as a replacement?

• @theforkofjustice:

Not late in the slightest (but I did forget about this thread).

If point_clientcommand doesn’t work in gmod then what do I use as a replacement?

Well Im not exactly sure what you are using point_clientcommand to execute.

However if its a generic command then lua_run would be your best tool. However you should tell Jetboom you are using it going on he hasn’t disabled it.

• Game Admins

He has, don’t use lua_run.

It entirely depends on the sound that you’re using. Some sounds contain data which are incompatible with global or local sources. Have you tried using a sound file that you own, rather one that is included in a GCF file?

• Forgot about this dang thread. Started a new one on FacePunch, too.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1293013&p=41585802#post41585802

I made a small mock-up of how I set up my sounds. Link is in the above post but here it is again:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/soundtest.vpk

• @Sally:

Well Im not exactly sure what you are using point_clientcommand to execute.

However if its a generic command then lua_run would be your best tool. However you should tell Jetboom you are using it going on he hasn’t disabled it.

I’m just playing a stock sound.  Just Gman saying a line.

• @Benjy:

He has, don’t use lua_run.

It entirely depends on the sound that you’re using. Some sounds contain data which are incompatible with global or local sources. Have you tried using a sound file that you own, rather one that is included in a GCF file?

There is a custom sound included in the above vpk that’s used in an ambient_generic.

Everything works in CSS.  It’s just GMOD that’s the problem.

I recently reported this issue on FacePunch since I’m not certain how to do so on the GitHub.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1293325

• @theforkofjustice:

There is a custom sound included in the above vpk that’s used in an ambient_generic.

Everything works in CSS.  It’s just GMOD that’s the problem.

I recently reported this issue on FacePunch since I’m not certain how to do so on the GitHub.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1293325

Is the sound a mp3?

• @Sally:

Is the sound a mp3?

wav

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.