[WIP] zs_radiosity

• zs_radiosity

For some time now I have been mainly doing editing / fixing maps and not actually creating my own proper content. I have finished bringing back all the award maps so it’s time for me to create my own piece of work for normal survival.

This map is purely inspired off this one image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Radiosity_Comparison.jpg

I want to go for an abstract-like environment but keeping the design and always thinking of zombie survival through development which can sometimes be forgotten and results in abstract and unique maps doing horrible game play wise.

Another important thing that I will do my best is to make sure there is no main barricading spot, crazy as it sounds. I want this to be a very challenging map to win so I’m talking about no bottlenecks at all or dead end hallways. This stuff should be considered when making any zs map to be honest.

Red, White and Green - Terrain
    Blue - Physbox prop
    Yellow - Breakable brush
    Others - Not planned

This project started this morning and as I feel like continue working on this I will create my own resembling props:
    (barrel is getting a remake)

• zs_radiosity

For some time now I have been mainly doing editing / fixing maps and not actually creating my own proper content. I have finished bringing back all the award maps so it’s time for me to create my own piece of work for normal survival.

This map is purely inspired off this one image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Radiosity_Comparison.jpg

I want to go for an abstract-like environment but keeping the design and always thinking of zombie survival through development which can sometimes be forgotten and results in abstract and unique maps doing horrible game play wise.

Another important thing that I will do my best is to make sure there is no main barricading spot, crazy as it sounds. I want this to be a very challenging map to win so I’m talking about no bottlenecks at all or dead end hallways. This stuff should be considered when making any zs map to be honest.

Red, White and Green - Terrain
    Blue - Physbox prop
    Yellow - Breakable brush
    Others - Not planned

This project started this morning and as I feel like continue working on this I will create my own resembling props:
    (barrel is getting a remake)

• Looks like Mirror’s Edge. I’d actually like a Mirror’s Edge themed map in ZS. Also that lightmap scale in the first screenshot looks like the default 16 and I think it would look nicer if you lowered it to 8 or 4  :link:

• I’m using 8 for most of the primary ground. I will experiment more soon.

• It’s a good idea to test VRAD, but I think eventually you should texture it and make it into a proper map, with the nice lighting that you are working on.

You have to bear in mind that the majority of players will not care about radiosity, or even the look of a map in particular, and only the gameplay aspect.

• @Wigbig:

the majority of players will not care about radiosity, or even the look of a map in particular, and only the gameplay aspect.

So him choosing to use solid colors shouldn’t bother players too much then, should it?

I really like the style, myself.

• I like the style too, I just don’t think solid colours quite fit in with the zs map design aesthetic though, apart from maps which have some sort of comedy value.

I suppose it doesn’t really matter about making maps that immerses the player within the environment, since the game mode doesn’t really do much itself in the way of that (not that it is supposed to) :V

Would still like to see a textured version too, it would be an interesting comparison.

• zs maps have a design aesthetic?

• I quite like the idea of maps like this that are meant to be design projects.

Beats a million generic City 17-textured maps.

• Brush based props are significantly harder to process in-game than if they were compiled into actual props with something like propper. Less predictable too (aka gabe’ing people).

Something to consider

• These two rooms will most likely serve as human spawn points. I wont be using the same thing again so I will be coming up with a bunch of unique rooms. I also think switching to props is most likely a better idea since I’m sure it wont affect the style of the map if done correctly.
    (final versions will most likely contain more props)

• I got back on hammer and did some more work when I felt like it. Nothing of much interest at all in my opinion but I have that kept in mind and I will be sure to create some more unique and potentially dynamic areas.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.