How to fix security.

• I think we all know that security has /enormous/ issues with incompetence.  Especially when admins are not around.  I can’t speak for everyone else who does not play security terribly often, but I usually don’t play security because it requires giving up any chance at being an antagonist.  No, I am not suggesting security should be able to be antagonist, that would be terrible.

What I am suggesting, is that the “order” in which round start works, should be adjusted.  Should be something like <pick round type>:<from those with that type of antag role selected, randomly select antagonist>:<assign roles(checking to be sure the role does not conflict with the antagonist selected)>.

Personally, I think I’d play security a lot more often (instead of just when I join late), if I was not missing out on wizard/changling/traitor/syndicate by doing so.

• I think we all know that security has /enormous/ issues with incompetence.  Especially when admins are not around.  I can’t speak for everyone else who does not play security terribly often, but I usually don’t play security because it requires giving up any chance at being an antagonist.  No, I am not suggesting security should be able to be antagonist, that would be terrible.

What I am suggesting, is that the “order” in which round start works, should be adjusted.  Should be something like <pick round type>:<from those with that type of antag role selected, randomly select antagonist>:<assign roles(checking to be sure the role does not conflict with the antagonist selected)>.

Personally, I think I’d play security a lot more often (instead of just when I join late), if I was not missing out on wizard/changling/traitor/syndicate by doing so.

• @Dwarf16:

I’d like to second this.

And I’d also like to warn you that security/captain can be syndicate/wizard.

• I still wouldn’t play security. Is its usually a mess that nobody can clean up and I already have enough to do with the manchildren who call themselves scientists only to bomb the station, release plasma, hand out monkey SE and label it powers or feed people to the slimes.
    I’m starting to get sick of cleaning up other people’s mistakes.

Anyway… the main problem with security is their reputation. People hate them, they deny people having fun or just let the station go shit while they pile up on traitors.
    And in the mindset of the people is that security are there to arrest people and often happen to just ignore the assault victim in crit unless its a station head Captain or Head of Security.
    There is basically that huge gap between the lawful citizens (Security officer, warden, detective, head of security, captain) and the criminal scum (the rest of the station and what doesn’t belong to the station).
    And that sparks vigilance even I prefer to solve my problems myself and not to call security as they usually either don’t react or would arrest me too.

Security has a reputation that basically forces them in the role of shitcurity because there are no lawful citizens only arsonists, trespassers, traitors, vigilant crewmen, thieves, murderers, clowns, changelings and assistants.
    And these wont call security because they suspect them to take away all their stuff and lock them away for 10 minutes.

• @Vanellope:

Anyway… the main problem with security is their reputation. People hate them, they deny people having fun or just let the station go shit while they pile up on traitors.
    And in the mindset of the people is that security are there to arrest people and often happen to just ignore the assault victim in crit unless its a station head Captain or Head of Security.
    There is basically that huge gap between the lawful citizens (Security officer, warden, detective, head of security, captain) and the criminal scum (the rest of the station and what doesn’t belong to the station).
    And that sparks vigilance even I prefer to solve my problems myself and not to call security as they usually either don’t react or would arrest me too.

And that’s because good players don’t play security. Why? Because you can’t play antag if you choose to play sec.

• @Juninho77:

And that’s because good players don’t play security. Why? Because you can’t play antag if you choose to play sec.

Its a vicious circle. Security is shit which is why good players don’t play security which is why security is shit.
    Reputation is a big part in the game. I want to play as someone who is smart and people should notice it which is why I play in the technical difficult to understand and master jobs like AI, Scientist, Chemist and Geneticist.
    You learn so much cool stuff about the station and how other stuff works… there are still people who don’t know what chemicals are actually in the soda vendors.
    Security is just meh! you play some guys who have to stop people who do stupid stuff and get unpopular for it ESPECIALLY if they make a mistake.
    If a scientist makes a mistake sure… people might be angry but most of the time the scientist only hurt himself.

• @Vanellope:

Its a vicious circle. Security is shit which is why good players don’t play security which is why security is shit.

Dwarf16 and myself disagree. We, who arrogantly call ourselves good players, don’t play security because that means I won’t have the slightest chance of being an antag.

I honestly don’t care about the reputation of jobs. All I know is that if all we get playing security is shitty players, security will have a shitty reputation forever. And unless security becomes an attractive role, I don’t see a reason to pick sec officer.

• @Juninho77:

Dwarf16 and myself disagree. We, who arrogantly call ourselves good players, don’t play security because that means I won’t have the slightest chance of being an antag.

I honestly don’t care about the reputation of jobs. All I know is that if all we get playing security is shitty players, security will have a shitty reputation forever. And unless security becomes an attractive role, I don’t see a reason to pick sec officer.

More or less.  That, and you are under a LOT more scrutiny while playing security, so not only do you end up with zero chance at antag roles (which I think any honest person playing SS13 is going to say happens to be super fun), but you also have to be absolutely careful with every action you do.

Security usually gets out of hand because not only are the traitors running around, but you have half or more of the crew roaming around doing shit that warrants being put in the brig, but without any efficient means to brig them.  That, and they are going to just do the same thing again once they get out.  That is assuming the assistants have not already broken the prison cells (which are way too easy to break into).

• If admin decides to whitelist heads and security. We MAY have a chance that security isn’t shit nor heads. We would be able to play with intelligent people who knows the REAL space laws. That could improve reputation.

Sometimes when I call Security… No one would come then I died or got theft. Would be better if Security pays attention to radio chats. What we may need; teamwork, intelligent, and honest.

• People don’t want to be security because they won’t get their random chance to murder people.

This game is apparently just a secret sociopathic space-murder simulator. How many of you people play EVE?

• @Antion:

People don’t want to be security because they won’t get their random chance to murder people.

This game is apparently just a secret sociopathic space-murder simulator. How many of you people play EVE?

If you mean EVE online, I’ve played it before.  That is more of a space-spreadsheet simulator, not so much a sociopathic space-murder simulator.

• I don’t usually play security, simply because I can’t stand dealing with how bad the other officers are.

They’re all either a bunch of angry manlets that wish for nothing more than to tase and perma brig you for dropping a candy wrapper on the floor.
    Or they’re simply just awful at the game and tase you while yelling half in caps lock about some nonsense like you offended their honor

fedoras I say
    fucking fedoras

• I avoid playing Security like the plague. I will play Warden/HoS every once in a while just to TRY and achieve a single round in which Security is slightly less shit. Not worth the effort though, to be quite honest.

• I’ve been playing security lately as I’m trying to learn all the jobs and security is the one I’m on right now.  One big problem I have in almost every round is since the brig is set up like a zoo we get a buncha turds hanging outside trying to bash through the class or rush in.  So when I’m trying to properly deal with a arrest I got assistants running around the brig trying to steal everything in sight, which slows down properly processing the prisoners, hinders the sec dudes who actually do their jobs from doing so, it pisses off the guys who are shit which just prompts abuse of the turd that ran in.

Maybe if sec had a checkpoint leading into the brig maybe so you have to be let in if you don’t have a proper id (captain, HoP, whatever) so we could maybe control it a bit better, kinda like medical has.  Maybe a security could spawn there and his job is to not let the area outside the brig to become a hellhole.

It wouldn’t fix everything, but one of the big problems I notice in alot of rounds is the sec situation devolves so quickly, so its harder to manage your time to do the job the way its supposed to be done, like updating records so people aren’t just getting dragged in and no one has any idea why their wanted in the first place.

Alot of its our own fault though I’ll be the first to admit that.

• Security has the double doors at its entrance. But i do agree. People running round or prisoners just left in the lobby is what slows the whole thing down.

• True, and if we put the portable flashers in there it kinda helps but it just seems to be way to easy to get back there and to run amok.  Maybe if there was another one further up the hall and it had a sec office where someone can monitor who’s coming in and out we could cut back on that. When I play warden people running into the brig and causing problems is the single biggest problem I have.

Also maybe if the when the timer runs out on a cell the bed should automatically unbuckle, the prisoner’s locker automatically unlocks, and the flusher opens, that way as long as sec sets the timer the prisoner can get out and get his shit.

That way when the warden goes braindead you don’t get stuck in your cell.

• I say we have a wider Cell, and hallway in Security… It’s annoying when people keeps pushing each other while attempting to get through the hallway and lets a prisoner loose. This happens when I was dragging prisoner in main hallway, people keeps letting prisoner loose by pushing Security Officer. Ignorant people… THESE DAYS…

Another thing, the riot.  @DangerBoy1985:

we get a buncha turds hanging outside trying to bash through the glass or rush in.  So when I’m trying to properly deal with a arrest I got assistants running around the brig trying to steal everything in sight,

I say we get a stronger glass that is unbreakable to any direct contact. But, is breakable by explosion, not bashing glasses and let prisoner loose. It’s annoying when people breaks glasses, then call for Engineers. The worst part, Engineers doesn’t shows up and fixes the part instead they dick around attempting to steal Hardsuits from E.V.A, break glasses at Permabrig, or break down a wall at Armory and steal guns. As for the rushing in, let’s have a better way that people don’t rush in by having a Warden’s post in MIDDLE of access point. Right where the red mark is at.

• @DangerBoy1985:

Also maybe if the when the timer runs out on a cell the bed should automatically unbuckle, the prisoner’s locker automatically unlocks, and the flusher opens, that way as long as sec sets the timer the prisoner can get out and get his shit.

Two of these things happen already. The third is the sign of A Bad Security Officer (You should bucklecuff to strip/search them in their cell, then stun/flash them, uncuff them, and leave/set the timer)
    @UnknownMurder:

I say we have a wider Cell, and hallway in Security… It’s annoying when people keeps pushing each other while attempting to get through the hallway and lets a prisoner loose. This happens when I was dragging prisoner in main hallway, people keeps letting prisoner loose by pushing Security Officer. Ignorant people… THESE DAYS…

Set your intent to disarm so you don’t get pushed while dragging a prisoner, problem solved.

• @Antion:

Two of these things happen already. The third is the sign of A Bad Security Officer (You should bucklecuff to strip/search them in their cell, then stun/flash them, uncuff them, and leave/set the timer)

I agree but I think part of the problem is that so many people don’t do it maybe we shouldn’t give people the option of leaving people bucklecuffed.

• If you get left buckle cuffed admin help it.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.