Virology

• Hello! I want to talk about…

Virology! (as I am sure you gathered from the subject)

Basically, I don’t know what the point is in virology. It researches the diseases for cures, but if the diseases weren’t on the station in the first place, there’d be no need for a vaccine. It’s pointless, all you can really do is give diseases more symptoms and make them harder to cure, once you’ve done it there’s no use for it.
    its not like you’re gonna inject someone with it or anything
    The only real benefit in being a virologist is how secure virology is. I once played an xeno round, and I managed to camp out in the break room till the end of the round. No matter what’s going on, Virology is normally last to be effected. With a seperate disposals system and atmosia system, it’s kinda hard to die in there, and sometimes the odd plague doctor gives you a visit, so you know, that’s nice.

Basically, I think we need to remove / add to / change virology… it’s kinda pointless, the only good thing is the beneficial viruses, which take ages to make, and normally you’ll finish it and walk outside virology and just see medbay on fire and covered in toxin…

Any suggestions on changing / adding to virology? Or should we just get rid of it all together?
    :wacko:

• Hello! I want to talk about…

Virology! (as I am sure you gathered from the subject)

Basically, I don’t know what the point is in virology. It researches the diseases for cures, but if the diseases weren’t on the station in the first place, there’d be no need for a vaccine. It’s pointless, all you can really do is give diseases more symptoms and make them harder to cure, once you’ve done it there’s no use for it.
    its not like you’re gonna inject someone with it or anything
    The only real benefit in being a virologist is how secure virology is. I once played an xeno round, and I managed to camp out in the break room till the end of the round. No matter what’s going on, Virology is normally last to be effected. With a seperate disposals system and atmosia system, it’s kinda hard to die in there, and sometimes the odd plague doctor gives you a visit, so you know, that’s nice.

Basically, I think we need to remove / add to / change virology… it’s kinda pointless, the only good thing is the beneficial viruses, which take ages to make, and normally you’ll finish it and walk outside virology and just see medbay on fire and covered in toxin…

Any suggestions on changing / adding to virology? Or should we just get rid of it all together?
    :wacko:

• One of the things I believe we need is a quarantine room for Virology. We simply get one or two guys that are infected then all of med bay infected as well, just by trying to fined the cure. After that we tend to get massive outbreaks because their is always critically injured people in lobby. Between the bar and the kitchen their is just to much traffic and soon the hole crew is infected.

• I remember that round, I was the alien queen. But we still did capture virology for the monkeys. Anyways definitely do not remove it, I feel it still has potential and removing it would feel counter-productive. Plus it still has a use, unlike lawyer and librarian which don’t have any uses. Well they do but the uses don’t come up very often/are near useless. Plus it’s a good place for antag activity because the only people who go in there is the virologist, CMO, and very rarely the captain. (aka good for changeling and cult)

• @Goon1:

One of the things I believe we need is a quarantine room for Virology. We simply get one or two guys that are infected then all of med bay infected as well, just by trying to fined the cure. After that we tend to get massive outbreaks because their is always critically injured people in lobby. Between the bar and the kitchen their is just to much traffic and soon the hole crew is infected.

Isn’t there three already? Or were they removed for some reason?

• Vaccine’s not only make you immune to the disease but also remove it from you if you had it. All you need is the blood of the person you cured to beat them to death because they wont hold still then drain their blood.
    It pisses me off how hard it is to actually cure a virus from yourself when you are not the damn chemist and once you finally reach medbay some security head has injected every unit spaceaccillin into his arms.

I don’t know if the vaccine thing is common knowledge
    Also yes: Most diseases spread by some doofus who doesn’t go to medbay and get cured. Its the fault of both sides.

• Ok, every time I’m on I’ll give a random person robotitus so you can cure it

• I know about the vaccines, and how it prevents you from getting it, but if virology didn’t have the diseases in the first place…

• @GumADum:

I remember that round, I was the alien queen. But we still did capture virology for the monkeys. Anyways definitely do not remove it, I feel it still has potential and removing it would feel counter-productive. Plus it still has a use, unlike lawyer and librarian which don’t have any uses. Well they do but the uses don’t come up very often/are near useless. Plus it’s a good place for antag activity because the only people who go in there is the virologist, CMO, and very rarely the captain. (aka good for changeling and cult)

It actually has zero use since if we had no virology we wouldn’t have any diseases released on the station as it currently stands thus we wouldn’t need virology to cure the diseases they released in the first place. The job is pretty much only used to griff, traitor-griff, and releasing diseases as non-traitor isn’t exactly something you can get banned for every time.

• @JaSeNeSaJ:

It actually has zero use since if we had no virology we wouldn’t have any diseases released on the station as it currently stands thus we wouldn’t need virology to cure the diseases they released in the first place. The job is pretty much only used to griff, traitor-griff, and releasing diseases as non-traitor isn’t exactly something you can get banned for every time.

But occasionly diseases will be released without the fault of Virology (E.G Syndicate stealing a disease). And geuss who is gonna need to give you the vaccine you need? Virology.

• @Creeper:

And geuss who is gonna need to give you the vaccine you need? Virology.

Haven’t seen that happen yet.
    Usually I need to break in to the chemistry to cook the cure myself, since everyone is too busy not doing their jobs.

• @Pyko:

Haven’t seen that happen yet.
    Usually I need to break in to the chemistry to cook the cure myself, since everyone is too busy not doing their jobs.

Yeah, usually chemists are too busy making space drugs and mindbreaker toxins to care about giving you unstable mutagen or cures.

• I agree, I hate that. How the hell am I supposed to make a vaccine for GBS if there’s no chemists to give me synaptizine and sulphur?

• @Creeper:

But occasionly diseases will be released without the fault of Virology (E.G Syndicate stealing a disease). And geuss who is gonna need to give you the vaccine you need? Virology.

Don’t think you get it yet, if there is no Virology you can’t steal diseases from it.

• Well, we got random virus events. And adminfuckery. And wizards with multitool.

• The answer is probably more random virus events.

• Make virology start with a limited amount of the less harmful chemistry reagents.

• Give virology a limited chem dispenser or do it like Zoidcrab said and make virology start with some beakers full of them. This makes them less dependent on outside sources.

Also add a couple orange juices in the little kitchen. The barman is always either absent or dead.

• @Antion:

The answer is probably more random virus events.

Yeah because i haven’t actually seen a real virus event ever since i started playing on NoX.
    Most of the time virologists fuck around and try to make the worst disease possible. And order virus crates that for some reason virologist gets hands to.
    Then spread around their own handmade plague.

Maybe they could make more useful diseases? Like something that actually does good rather than bad?

• @Someoneelse:

Maybe they could make more useful diseases? Like something that actually does good rather than bad?

Then it’s not a disease.

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.