Engineering cart

• Not to be mixed with janicart. You pull/push this cart around.
    While my MPCV suggestion was all in one, this is just a lite suggestion for 1 of its functionality.
    The generic idea of this suggestion is to make engineering easier and faster, as rarely anything gets repaired once its broken.
    Repairing broken, or building new machinery is extremely painful and slow as it is now, due to sheer amount of different parts needed, and for the fact that you have to beg the science for em.
    But without further ado, here is the suggestion.

Engineering Cart is basically a vender on wheels, it needs engineering access and has built in brakes that can be toggled to stop assistants from stealing it.
    Damaging the cart will break the brakes eventually, in case retards use them as roadblocks.

The cart has limited supply of the lowest quality machine parts, and few sheets of metal, glass and reinforced metal (and possibly reinforced glass, metal rods, and floor tiles), couple wires as well as small amounts of welding fuel (cant be exploded).
    It should also have couple airlock, and apc circuits and possibly a built in high power lamp.

However the cart should NOT have any of the machine/computer circuits in it.
    Couple of these carts could be placed in engineering, and possibly one at the construction area where some assistant can hijack it for his building needs.
    As any other vender, you should be able to hack these as well.
    Hacking unlocks loaded toolbelt.
    Coin unlocks Auto-Darkening Welding Mask - Does not impair vision, does not protect against sudden flashes. Because flipping that welding mask is fucking annoying.

• Not to be mixed with janicart. You pull/push this cart around.
    While my MPCV suggestion was all in one, this is just a lite suggestion for 1 of its functionality.
    The generic idea of this suggestion is to make engineering easier and faster, as rarely anything gets repaired once its broken.
    Repairing broken, or building new machinery is extremely painful and slow as it is now, due to sheer amount of different parts needed, and for the fact that you have to beg the science for em.
    But without further ado, here is the suggestion.

Engineering Cart is basically a vender on wheels, it needs engineering access and has built in brakes that can be toggled to stop assistants from stealing it.
    Damaging the cart will break the brakes eventually, in case retards use them as roadblocks.

The cart has limited supply of the lowest quality machine parts, and few sheets of metal, glass and reinforced metal (and possibly reinforced glass, metal rods, and floor tiles), couple wires as well as small amounts of welding fuel (cant be exploded).
    It should also have couple airlock, and apc circuits and possibly a built in high power lamp.

However the cart should NOT have any of the machine/computer circuits in it.
    Couple of these carts could be placed in engineering, and possibly one at the construction area where some assistant can hijack it for his building needs.
    As any other vender, you should be able to hack these as well.
    Hacking unlocks loaded toolbelt.
    Coin unlocks Auto-Darkening Welding Mask - Does not impair vision, does not protect against sudden flashes. Because flipping that welding mask is fucking annoying.

• You know what’s good to carry your stuff around? Your backpack/satchel.

• @UnknownMurder:

You know what’s good to carry your stuff around? Your backpack/satchel.

Gee thanks, I always wondered for what they were!
    I presume they also have all the functions I mentioned on my suggestion?

• So an engineering (and limited supply) version of the disposal/atmos pipe dispensers, which are also mobile? I like this.

• Just like UnknownMurder said, most of those things can be carried around in boxes and backpacks.

The “Auto-Darkening Welding Mask” is silly. Flipping it up and down is part of the welding process. Just focus on the job. If you’re getting your eyes hurt a lot you should either quit welding altogether or remember to just flip down the damn mask.

• @Spurdo_KEK:

The “Auto-Darkening Welding Mask” is silly.

Whats so silly about it?
    Also, you don’t need to flip spess helmet, so I’d say flipping the mask up and down is part of the welding process, when welding with the regular welding helmet.

And, I’m quite sure i know that you can carry those things around with boxes and backpacks.
    To be honest, I even knew it before Unknown said it.
    Hell, you can even put stuff in locker and/or crate, and pull it around. Gasp!

But if you didn’t notice, it has other purposes than just simply haul items around.
    It acts as a vender for parts that is needed to build things. Things like matterbins, micro lasers, scanning modules, console screens, manipulators.
    And those things can be a bitch to get as you need to beg the science for em.

Not to mention that usually people just toss the metal, glass and reinforced in their backpack in case they need it. Meaning that no one else can really repair things that need em.
    And the said engineer is usually too busy breaking and entering.

Also other things, but too lazy to explain.
    I see no harm with this suggestion, and it does not prevent you hauling items in your backpack if you want.
    I personally would find a cart like this very useful and would certainly use it.

Edit: Wait, you don’t mean the the whole concept of Auto-Darkening Welding Mask is silly, now don’t you?

• @Pyko:

I always assumed that the current helmets were already auto-darkening. With a normal helmet, you would be totally blind if you had it flipped down as opposed to being able to see a few tiles away like the ss13 helmet. The visor in an auto-darkening helmet is actually quite dark and the helmet still obstructs the majority of your vision outside of the tiny as fuck window that sits an inch away from your face.

• Whats so silly about it?
    Also, you don’t need to flip spess helmet, so I’d say flipping the mask up and down is part of the welding process, when welding with the regular welding helmet.

Space helmets have a visor shield to protect your eyes in case you need to stare at the sun. It’s not a fundamental part. While welding, protecting your eyes is a fundamental part.

But if you didn’t notice, it has other purposes than just simply haul items around.
    It acts as a vender for parts that is needed to build things. Things like matterbins, micro lasers, scanning modules, console screens, manipulators.
    And those things can be a bitch to get as you need to beg the science for em.

So you’re trying to make engineers even more annoying and science more useless? good to know. It still has the same effect of hauling those things in your backpack.

Not to mention that usually people just toss the metal, glass and reinforced in their backpack in case they need it. Meaning that no one else can really repair things that need em.
    And the said engineer is usually too busy breaking and entering.

Too bad, go bother one until he feels like helping you. What makes you think the engineer won’t bring this wheeled vender with him while doing his breaking and entering? how does some draggable backpack compels an engineer to do his job? you can’t fix those human faults with useless crap that will only make them more interested in not helping you.

Also other things, but too lazy to explain.
    I see no harm with this suggestion, and it does not prevent you hauling items in your backpack if you want.
    I personally would find a cart like this very useful and would certainly use it.

No harm? engineers being able to fill the escape arm with computers before anyone can notice is no harm? how many times have you ever built a machine/computer in one round? this suggestion would only help when the engineers have to build an entirely new station, and even then, it would take the fun out of it. At least for me, you just want a bigger backpack because you can’t into inventory management and must carry everything with you at all times.

Edit: Wait, you don’t mean the the whole concept of Auto-Darkening Welding Mask is silly, now don’t you?

Yes, I did.

• @Spurdo_KEK:

snip

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
    While i do disagree on the things you said, and don’t really see a coherent reason why you are so negative about this.
    But arguing about it would bring no merit to this thread.
    I stand by my suggestion, even after considering the things you said.

• BAG OF HOLDING good luck building one though

• Make it kinda like the carts in cargo. You could have engineer’s PDAs set up so there is a function that calls the cart to you that  way if you find something damaged that needs repaired and you don’t have the materials you could call the cart to your location and it would dispense any materials/tools you need.

• @Pyko:

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Yes it is his opinion, what’s your point?

@Pyko:

While i do disagree on the things you said, and don’t really see a coherent reason why you are so negative about this.

Then explain why you disagree instead of playing the victim.

@Pyko:

But arguing about it would bring no merit to this thread.

How? If anything, your ability to successfully support your idea would bring more merit to it.

@Pyko:

I stand by my suggestion, even after considering the things you said.

Looks more like you saw an argument you knew you wouldn’t win, so instead of participating, you decided to hide behind “B-but t-that’s just your opinion!”, as if it meant anything.

• @Cantelope:

you saw an argument

I saw an pointless argument that pose no merit.
    Also arguing on 2d spessmen forum is pretty damn retarded, and If some dev wants to code this or not, I’m sure he can decide it himself whether or not a fucking vender on wheels would be gambreakingly OP or not.

Also the way how you 2 have to break down everything makes me think you are just here for the argument, or taking the game way too seriously.

• Only because you say so, Pyko.

Sorry if I told you how useless your suggestions are, you didn’t even bothered to respond. By arguing, we’re showing you reasons why a coder would turn down your suggestion. This is the point of a forum, people can discuss things. If you didn’t want people to discuss your suggestions, why didn’t you just talk straight to a coder instead?

And please, “breaking down everything” just means we’re being thorough.

• @Spurdo_KEK:

Only because you say so, Pyko.

Sorry if I told you how useless your suggestions are, you didn’t even bothered to respond. By arguing, we’re showing you reasons why a coder would turn down your suggestion. This is the point of a forum, people can discuss things. If you didn’t want people to discuss your suggestions, why didn’t you just talk straight to a coder instead?

And please, “breaking down everything” just means we’re being thorough.

You are free to express and discuss what ever you want, I merely stated that I’m not interested in arguing about it.
    I admit I made a mistake, I should not had responded to you at all.
    But I guess I was annoyed by the utter stupidity of the “things can be carried around in boxes and backpacks” response, because I’m pretty sure that everyone knows it.
    But I’m not interested in continuing this. If you have something to say, then say it. But don’t expect me to reply.

• I’m currently happy with engineering as it is.
    We don’t really need auto darkening welding goggles as space helmets already fulfill everything they could do also we have sunglasses for people who can’t deal with 1 range reduced view.

And yeah… everything an engineer needs can be stored in his belt and backpack. Destroyed machines drop the parts that are needed to build them.

• yeah, the only times you’d want to bother with getting a bunch of components or anything like that to build a machine, you could put them in a locker or crate and drag it along.

• @Pyko:

You are free to express and discuss what ever you want, I merely stated that I’m not interested in arguing about it.

That’s because you don’t have the necessary means to back up your arguments properly. Your idea is so shitty you can barely defend it anymore.

I’m outta this thread.

• As as regular Engineer I can say this is not really needed. I myself have no problems carrying the stuff I need for repairs. Engineers spawn with a toolbelt for a reason you know. I agree that getting parts for machines can be annoying, and that Science will often ignore you when you yell for them over the radio but if you went over to them and explained WHY you need them and HOW they would be beneficial for the station I see no reason why as reasonable Scientist would refuse.

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.