Multi Purpose Construction Vehicle - MPCV

• While Building things is easy its also really slow, and extremely frustrating when the shuttle gets called early for no reason other than the heads not being antags.

What I would like to suggest is to make a Multi Purpose Cosntruction Vehicle, or MPCV in short. It moves about the same speed as Ripley, and even slower when one of its construction modes is on, and even slower when deconstructing.
    The players ride on top of it, same way like janicart, and to use it you need engineering access, or possibly a completely new “MPCV Access”. The MPCV uses power when it constructs things, and can be recharged at exosuit charging pad.
    The driver is protected from space exposure by forcefield. The force field also protects the driver from being pushed and/or touched (stunglove), as well as from the blinding light of stars (and flash). Also melee attacks will drain the shield. The shield provides no protection against ranged attacks, but you still need to drain the shield if you want to unbuckle the driver. Disabling the MPCV will also turn off the shield, unless exposed to space, in which case it will automatically try to head in to the station through closest airlock, and once safely inside the shield will be turned off.

The MPCV has built in Pipe and Disposals Pipe dispensers, as well as Engineering Parts dispenser (which should contain the parts needed to build new machinery), the driver has to select which dispenser is active and the said dispenser can be accessed by clicking the MPCV. But the mobile dispensers are just for utility and finishing touch.

The main use of MPCV is to build new floor, airlocks, windows, wall and even reinforced wall (needs plasteel sheets) under it as well as lay pipes, disposals pipes, and wires. Pipes and wires can be laid even “through” floor tiles.
    It should also be able to place new lamps, and cameras. And possibly even machinery that cant normally be constructed, like charging pads, Heaters/freezers, radios.
    It has limited “Station Blueprints” in it, that ONLY allow creation of new areas, but the Station Blueprints can be inserted in it to unlock unlimited construction access.

You might ask whats unlimited construction access.
    Well lets first talk about limited construction access, the normal construction mode.
    In this mode the MPCV is only able to lay new pipes, disposal pipes and wires on ares that are on blueprints. As well as possibly change the floor material.
    It will also have repair mode, while this mode is active it will fix spot under it by building all the things that should be there according to “blueprints”. Basically reverting the tile as it was on round start, but leaving any new wires/pipes intact, unless they conflict with original ones.
    It is also able to dismantle walls, tables and etc in front of it that is not on blueprints.
    Outside of Blueprinted area it will work as in Unlimited Construction Mode. Also you should be able to mark an area for refurbishing on the REAL Station Blueprints.
    By doing so, the MPCV will have Unlimited Construction mode inside that area.

During Unlimited Construction Mode, the MPCV is able to build new walls anywhere, as well as destroy any and all tiles under it and any walls in front of it.
    Besides adding station Blueprints this mode should be unlockable with emag as well.

The MPCV also has other failsafes besides the limited construction mode, AI can disable it just by clicking it and it has a built in camera in it which can be accessed by AI and from security camera terminals.
    There also should be buttons on CE’s office as well as bridge to disable the MPCV. These buttons should be restricted to CE, HoP and Captain. And possibly HoS.

The MPCV should have rather simple interface with simple selections.
    ie.
    Build:
    Wall [ ] - Normal ( ) Reinforced ( ) Window ( )
    Floor [ ] - Select material
    Disposals Pipe [ ] - Select specific
    Pipe [ ] - Select specific
    Wire [ ] - Electrify if possible [ ]
    Others

Deconstruct:
    Front [ ]
    Below [ ]
    Pipe [ ]
    Disposals [ ]
    Wire [ ]

The select floor material should have all the floor tiles found on station, and possibly even more.
    The Select specific options are used to lay 1 specific piece (junction/filter/chute/etc) and/or to switch between different types of of pipes that can be planted automatically (insulated/heat-exchange/normal).
    Under Others you can find a list of all the other machines, they can not be planted automatically on the go.

On the end i would like to summarize couple pros and cons, and address them.

• Easier and faster construction - Will hopefully help people to unleash their creativity and make things more interesting.
    • Easier and faster repairs - Bombing the station gets old really fast, and the effort needed to fix the damage is ridiculous when compared to the effort needed to make bomb. Also its almost impossible to keep up with the greytide.
    • Non-Admin way to construct certain machinery. - If it’s on the station there should be a way to make it somehow.
    • High grief potential - Limited construction and disables are there to hopefully curb this, also since the driver is in top of it he can be attacked. Also repairing the grief should be pretty easy with this.
    • Overpowered traitor tool - same as above.
    • 3 Gibbers and a Cremator every room? Think about the lings, the lings! - As I said building things will consume power, and if needed we can make the battery hold 3 and a half quintillion energy and consume all of it to make a lamp.

• While Building things is easy its also really slow, and extremely frustrating when the shuttle gets called early for no reason other than the heads not being antags.

What I would like to suggest is to make a Multi Purpose Cosntruction Vehicle, or MPCV in short. It moves about the same speed as Ripley, and even slower when one of its construction modes is on, and even slower when deconstructing.
    The players ride on top of it, same way like janicart, and to use it you need engineering access, or possibly a completely new “MPCV Access”. The MPCV uses power when it constructs things, and can be recharged at exosuit charging pad.
    The driver is protected from space exposure by forcefield. The force field also protects the driver from being pushed and/or touched (stunglove), as well as from the blinding light of stars (and flash). Also melee attacks will drain the shield. The shield provides no protection against ranged attacks, but you still need to drain the shield if you want to unbuckle the driver. Disabling the MPCV will also turn off the shield, unless exposed to space, in which case it will automatically try to head in to the station through closest airlock, and once safely inside the shield will be turned off.

The MPCV has built in Pipe and Disposals Pipe dispensers, as well as Engineering Parts dispenser (which should contain the parts needed to build new machinery), the driver has to select which dispenser is active and the said dispenser can be accessed by clicking the MPCV. But the mobile dispensers are just for utility and finishing touch.

The main use of MPCV is to build new floor, airlocks, windows, wall and even reinforced wall (needs plasteel sheets) under it as well as lay pipes, disposals pipes, and wires. Pipes and wires can be laid even “through” floor tiles.
    It should also be able to place new lamps, and cameras. And possibly even machinery that cant normally be constructed, like charging pads, Heaters/freezers, radios.
    It has limited “Station Blueprints” in it, that ONLY allow creation of new areas, but the Station Blueprints can be inserted in it to unlock unlimited construction access.

You might ask whats unlimited construction access.
    Well lets first talk about limited construction access, the normal construction mode.
    In this mode the MPCV is only able to lay new pipes, disposal pipes and wires on ares that are on blueprints. As well as possibly change the floor material.
    It will also have repair mode, while this mode is active it will fix spot under it by building all the things that should be there according to “blueprints”. Basically reverting the tile as it was on round start, but leaving any new wires/pipes intact, unless they conflict with original ones.
    It is also able to dismantle walls, tables and etc in front of it that is not on blueprints.
    Outside of Blueprinted area it will work as in Unlimited Construction Mode. Also you should be able to mark an area for refurbishing on the REAL Station Blueprints.
    By doing so, the MPCV will have Unlimited Construction mode inside that area.

During Unlimited Construction Mode, the MPCV is able to build new walls anywhere, as well as destroy any and all tiles under it and any walls in front of it.
    Besides adding station Blueprints this mode should be unlockable with emag as well.

The MPCV also has other failsafes besides the limited construction mode, AI can disable it just by clicking it and it has a built in camera in it which can be accessed by AI and from security camera terminals.
    There also should be buttons on CE’s office as well as bridge to disable the MPCV. These buttons should be restricted to CE, HoP and Captain. And possibly HoS.

The MPCV should have rather simple interface with simple selections.
    ie.
    Build:
    Wall [ ] - Normal ( ) Reinforced ( ) Window ( )
    Floor [ ] - Select material
    Disposals Pipe [ ] - Select specific
    Pipe [ ] - Select specific
    Wire [ ] - Electrify if possible [ ]
    Others

Deconstruct:
    Front [ ]
    Below [ ]
    Pipe [ ]
    Disposals [ ]
    Wire [ ]

The select floor material should have all the floor tiles found on station, and possibly even more.
    The Select specific options are used to lay 1 specific piece (junction/filter/chute/etc) and/or to switch between different types of of pipes that can be planted automatically (insulated/heat-exchange/normal).
    Under Others you can find a list of all the other machines, they can not be planted automatically on the go.

On the end i would like to summarize couple pros and cons, and address them.

• Easier and faster construction - Will hopefully help people to unleash their creativity and make things more interesting.
    • Easier and faster repairs - Bombing the station gets old really fast, and the effort needed to fix the damage is ridiculous when compared to the effort needed to make bomb. Also its almost impossible to keep up with the greytide.
    • Non-Admin way to construct certain machinery. - If it’s on the station there should be a way to make it somehow.
    • High grief potential - Limited construction and disables are there to hopefully curb this, also since the driver is in top of it he can be attacked. Also repairing the grief should be pretty easy with this.
    • Overpowered traitor tool - same as above.
    • 3 Gibbers and a Cremator every room? Think about the lings, the lings! - As I said building things will consume power, and if needed we can make the battery hold 3 and a half quintillion energy and consume all of it to make a lamp.

• It’s a little bit over-complicated suggestion. Just a janicart with a battery powered RCD, in-built space suit and slowed down to borg speed would be nice. And a pipe dispencer.

• The janicart was OP. It wont come back without a rework.

• @Talha:

It’s a little bit over-complicated suggestion. Just a janicart with a battery powered RCD, in-built space suit and slowed down to borg speed would be nice. And a pipe dispencer.

I don’t think its actually that complicated, even tho admittedly it might sound so, especially with my English.

After all its more or less  just a “janicart” with a battery powered RCD, in-built space suit and slowed down to borg speed would be nice. And a pipe dispencer.
    I just wanted it to be a bit more “hijack resistant”, and I doubt it would not be too hard to make the RCD automated so you can just roll around building.
    Also I see the automated pipe layer as a must, since building a new pipes is extremely slow, the original reason why i made this was to actually to make it faster.

And for the blueprints and stuff, I just wanted to minimize the impact it had to gameplay.
    As I can already see some assistant driving around the station breaking floor on the go or making walls.

While it does not need to be this, I would very much love to see a way to build microwaves, massdrivers and other things that currently cant be made.

@Lord:

The janicart was OP. It wont come back without a rework.

I believe the main source of janicarts OPness was its speed.
    This would be slower than a beat up clown.

• @Pyko:

I believe the main source of janicarts OPness was its speed.
    This would be slower than a beat up clown.

Nope. It was the fact you couldn’t be hurt/stunned/tazed at all. You couldn’t push past it either and you didn’t slip up on wet floors. The only way to get some one off was to disarm, flashbang or flash them.

• @Lord:

Nope. It was the fact you couldn’t be hurt/stunned/tazed at all. You couldn’t push past it either and you didn’t slip up on wet floors. The only way to get some one off was to disarm, flashbang or flash them.

Odd, I recall that at least on some station (Freedom station or something) it just had a chance to reflect attacks, same way like riotshield.

But yeah, you should not be able to push past this either, neither slip it. But the driver should be completely vulnerable to attacks from weapons. While protected against mere pushing, and possibly flashes and stungloves.
    Also you could possibly make it take 2 hands to operate so people could not use guns while driving around.

• Janicart, as in the code, not the actual spacefaring, projectile proof, stunn immunity granting space-tank with FTL-drive given to the janitor. If it was made slower it whouldn’t be that over-powered. The OP suggested stun resistance.

The “MPCV” could of cource be an actual mech with an inbuilt mech-RCD for free, which in return can’t be equipped with anything else. Gives robotics something to do.

• @Talha:

The “MPCV” could of cource be an actual mech with an inbuilt mech-RCD for free, which in return can’t be equipped with anything else. Gives robotics something to do.

I have mixed feelings about this, while engineering construction mech sounds good, I’m afraid it would first take half of the round to beg the robotics to make it.
    And as usual over 90% of the time the person using it would actually be the RD or roboticist instead of the department which it was meant for.

• @Pyko:

I have mixed feelings about this, while engineering construction mech sounds good, I’m afraid it would first take half of the round to beg the robotics to make it.
    And as usual over 90% of the time the person using it would actually be the RD or roboticist instead of the department which it was meant for.

i agree with him on this one. you see RD and roboticts running around in durands and gygaxes, not hos or warden

same goes for miners, even though ripleys are relatively easy to make. most of the time RD and robotocists make their own personal ripleys before getting to the miners.

• @Swagile:

you see RD and roboticts running around in durands and gygaxes, not hos or warden

Exactly, During all the time i have played ss13 I only once seen security use a mech.
    And that was warden stealing a mining ripley as it was being built.

That is outside of adminbus.

• Interesting fact: Mech-mounted RCDs and cable laying modules exist, and mechs, in general, have built in internals and (I believe) space insulation.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.