Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Any way to have a working security antag role?

• At the moment, it’s possible that some players avoid security roles because they cannot be antags. I think that’s part of the reason for me at least.

Antag roles are the most exciting by far. People love being antag.

The obvious problem with security antags is that it would lead to a great deal of shit RP, griff and power stomping by security (kill X - okay, stun rod and space), and, that when people cry about rogue security there would actually be a possibility they are right, causing a lot more distrust of security and changing the balance of the game.

But is there a way security could be given antag roles without those things happening?

If the objectives are aimed only at difficult sabotage or theft of head items, then quite possibly.

RP reason:

Some things could be:

• ensure the AI is offline or have Antimov laws at the end of the round
    • sabotage the R&D server in some way
    • escape with a tank of superheated plasma on the shuttle
    • open the safe in the vault with a given combination
    • steal the nuclear disk
    • steal the vault nuke
    • steal at least one illicit traitor item
    • steal x units of gold or diamonds

There could be theft objectives where you are able to call a syndicate extraction pod (micro shuttle) to the station, to appear either at arrivals or maybe engineering or one of the solars. It takes several minutes to arrive, and will remain there for only X minutes or until recalled.  So e.g. you have to drag around and hide the nuke while waiting for extraction to arrive, or you have to call it several minutes before you make your hit. This also gives time for the rest of security to chase you down.

You could do this from a special tab linked to a special security implant. Maybe other uses as well, like a 1 tile single use Knock spell. To find out if a security is antag for sure, they would have to extract that person’s implant.

• At the moment, it’s possible that some players avoid security roles because they cannot be antags. I think that’s part of the reason for me at least.

Antag roles are the most exciting by far. People love being antag.

The obvious problem with security antags is that it would lead to a great deal of shit RP, griff and power stomping by security (kill X - okay, stun rod and space), and, that when people cry about rogue security there would actually be a possibility they are right, causing a lot more distrust of security and changing the balance of the game.

But is there a way security could be given antag roles without those things happening?

If the objectives are aimed only at difficult sabotage or theft of head items, then quite possibly.

RP reason:

Some things could be:

• ensure the AI is offline or have Antimov laws at the end of the round
    • sabotage the R&D server in some way
    • escape with a tank of superheated plasma on the shuttle
    • open the safe in the vault with a given combination
    • steal the nuclear disk
    • steal the vault nuke
    • steal at least one illicit traitor item
    • steal x units of gold or diamonds

There could be theft objectives where you are able to call a syndicate extraction pod (micro shuttle) to the station, to appear either at arrivals or maybe engineering or one of the solars. It takes several minutes to arrive, and will remain there for only X minutes or until recalled.  So e.g. you have to drag around and hide the nuke while waiting for extraction to arrive, or you have to call it several minutes before you make your hit. This also gives time for the rest of security to chase you down.

You could do this from a special tab linked to a special security implant. Maybe other uses as well, like a 1 tile single use Knock spell. To find out if a security is antag for sure, they would have to extract that person’s implant.

• I’m pretty sure security can be any antag role besides rev (due to loyalty implant). I know for a fact I’ve been ling and traitor sec officer and warden before.

• Really? Oh…

maybe I’ll play sec more then

• Standard sec offisers cannot be traitor and changeling, atleast not on /tg/ code.
    I don’t think the warden can anymore either.

As for the suggestion, it’s not the objective thats the problem, but the license to grief that comes with the antag role.
    Giving security the possibility to be antags is not a good way to make the role more atractive.

• especially since they’re already seen as shit most of the time.

step 1 to total grieferama as a sec officer:
    get ebow and esword
    step 2: ebow hos and kill him
    step 3: disposal him, or hide his body in hos locker after taking all his clothes and dressing as him
    step 4: ???
    step 5: profit in the stations utter demise as everyone gets brigged and then esworded.

if you start as traitor hos, most of your job is done for you

• Maybe an informant or a rat or something.

He’s like a traitor but he doesn’t get an uplink (for balancing purposes). His objectives can include assassinations and item thefts like a normal traitor, except his targets are limited to the security team and areas, his only assassination targets are members of the security team, and the items he must steal are located within security areas. This way he has no excuse to abuse his power outside sec.

Items to be stolen: the HoS’s headset, the Warden’s cap, a laser/egun (since those are not standard officer issue, it can be a challenge) etc.

And I was thinking of stealing (or memorizing) a security code that spawns in a paper by HoS office, memorizing that code in your memory notes gives you a half-victory, stealing a paper containing the right code AND stamped with the HoS’s stamp gives you a full victory. You can even just pick up the paper, memorize it, write it down on another paper, stamp one and put back the original paper and stamp back where they were. The second paper with the code written on it and stamped will grant you the victory. Of course, the HoS can call the detective to check the paper and stamp for prints, and find you if you weren’t careful enough, and finding black gloves fibers can lead to a lot of people including the HoS, so the antag can actually claim the HoS touched them and not him. The challenges are to break into the HoS office and to find his stamp, which may require you to done a disguise and immobilize the HoS and search him, or kill him if you feel like you can do it (doing this will let him know there’s obviously an antag in his security team, which can be pretty much a game over if it’s a small team. Perhaps make this an objective for normal traitors as well?).

Of course, spacing the paper and the stamp would be frowned upon, much like the Captain spacing his jumpsuit, nuke disk, hand tele and spare ID is considered bad sportsmanship. By the way you don’t have a pinpointer to the stamp, so it’s even harder.

• When/if we get a money system up and running, a crooked cop/detective that runs extortion and graft systems would be hilarious.

• Antion, I thought Nanotrasen is communist and gave up on currency and lives in a meritocracy, like the Star Trek universe. Currency, or credits, are only used in small transactions.

• no, we clearly use money because in the corporate law set it clearly states the AI is expensive, thus implying that the ai costed something like half a mill to build for the specific purpose of opening doors or some shit like that

• Not being a traitor isn’t the only reason why competent people avoid security jobs. The general image of security is horrible and we know what we think of when we think of security. These are the fat useless guys who love to steal your stuff from the evidence locker while you are arrested (for way too long).

As long as the reputation of security is that low I will stay away from that area the power of an ID never thrilled me anyway. I prefer low profile jobs every day.

Antag security would have the problem that security officers suddenly trust each other as much as medical doctor coworkers which can be really really dangerous in that working field and security is the least department that can need internal struggles. The good side of course is that bad officers are more likely to get kicked out of the security group and of course security players now find themselves in the situation where they have a legit reason to question the orders they receive.

Security traitors sure would change the life of an officer but it wont improve the image of the security officer as these redshirts could now plan to kill YOU. So what do you do? Kick them out of your department of course Murder them before they draw their death baton.

The reason why security is a job many people avoid is just because its the most mind destroying job ever. You are the good guy but everyone hates you.

• If CentCom doesn’t use money, they can’t dock your pay.

• the only real reason to be good security is so you get a chance at ESO, making you immune to the shitlording of your HoS, who is usually crap if your normal sec or warden. if your the hos himself, it usually turns into revolution where all the assistants + normal low tier jobs disarm you for your riotshield / egun, even when you try to not have it out.

hos is the only good sec job besides ESO at the moment though

i was even told by some sec officers as a hos that they were good sec because they wanted a chance to be an ESO, which is like an incentive.

as an hos, though, i have to deal with some shit captains that hand out executions for what I believe is as bad as jaywalking, such as minor theft. i was told once to execute a grey suit for “insulting me badly Q_Q”. what a joke

• I’ve been warden and sec and had to actually arrest a few ESO because of how horrible they are and the shit they do as security, its pretty bad. Sometimes I wonder how some ESO even managed to get that job

• @Romarkend:

I’ve been warden and sec and had to actually arrest a few ESO because of how horrible they are and the shit they do as security, its pretty bad. Sometimes I wonder how some ESO even managed to get that job

screenshot it, report it, and laugh as they get clowned and job banned from all sec roles

• @Swagile:

as an hos, though, i have to deal with some shit captains that hand out executions for what I believe is as bad as jaywalking, such as minor theft. i was told once to execute a grey suit for “insulting me badly Q_Q”. what a joke

Tell the captain to let security staff handle criminal punishment. If he persists in violating the laws (Note that “A captain or HoS has to authorize a death sentence” does not mean “A Captain or HoS can kill for no reason”, the crime still has to merit the punishment), you are quite possibly within your rights to arrest the Captain. (To cover your ass, you may want to check with or heads-up an admin first so we can fend off the captain’s bitching/jobban you from HoS if you abuse the power to arrest the captain)

@Romarkend:

I’ve been warden and sec and had to actually arrest a few ESO because of how horrible they are and the shit they do as security, its pretty bad. Sometimes I wonder how some ESO even managed to get that job

You know how we jobban people from sec roles at the drop of a hat? Please inform an admin if one is on about potential bad ESOing. Despite their increased authority, they are still to follow CentCom Regulations and Space Law. They are authorized to use lethal force in self defense if the situation merits it (Someone shoving you over a few times does not merit it. Remember that your good weapons are implant-locked so that greyshirts can’t use them, you have adrenaline to unstun, and your armor is robust as fuck) but should utilize discretion in that and try to use nonlethal takedowns if at all possible. If complaints of this keep up, that authorization may be revoked.

Users

Topics