More Jobs

• With Nox being a server with upwards of 60 people on regularly, late-joiners have only one job option: Assistant. Being an assistant can be fun, but it can also be boring as fuck. In an attempt to cut down on the amount of assistants in a round, I am proposing new jobs be added. Here are a few ideas that I came up with that could help cut down on the grey tide.

Judge: A purely roleplay job, runs the court and sentences criminals. Ideally, this would save the other Heads from having to run trials. Granted, this job would base success off trials actually being used.

Judicial Service Branch Officer: Court-Martials Security. Ever complained that security was shit and couldn’t do anything about it? Report it to this guy, and he will make sure that the shitcurity gets demoted or even jailed for his heinous shitcurity-ing. Basically, a job that gives the station a way to not have shitcurity. If anyone is shitcurity, they would be stripped of rank by this guy.

Marine: Basically, the station military consultant. When Syndicate forces invade the station, a bunch of mall-cops with red suits aren’t really going to do much. That is where this guy steps in. Have a maximum of 1 marine starting per round. Don’t give him authority to arrest people but make him better equipped than your average security officer. In absence of a Syndicate invasion, just let him be a bodyguard or something. Could also make for interesting roleplay as well.

Secretary: Basically an assistant with a specialized role. This could work kind of how security officers are assigned to a post at the beginning of a round. Have a secretary assigned to medbay to run the front desk and take care of medical records, have a secretary sorting minerals on the mining station so the miners can go back out and mine, have a secretary in cargo doing the paperwork. This job could be applied to a lot of things, and takes stress off some of the jobs that already have too many duties to begin with.

Telecomms Technician: Telecomms, in my opinion, is one of the least used rooms on-station. Give a person or two a job there. The telecomms technicians could be given insulated suits or something in order to maintenance the machines. They could be assigned to monitor the network for suspicious messages, and use NTSL to optimize the system. They could even use NTSL to silence criminals on the loose with security’s permission. This way, there could be an electronic warfare element introduced to catching criminals.

Farmer: With this job in place, ordering animals would actually have a good use. If I am not mistaken, the breeding code is already implemented. Just give this job a small room to work with, and have him be the botanist equivalent for meat.

Physician: A purely roleplay job, they would be in charge of diagnosing mental illnesses and treating the clinically insane. Pass the duty of the CMO removing heads of staff to this guy. Pehaps even enforce the Clone memory disorder idea and have newly cloned people come to this guy if they want help getting their memories back.

Surgeon: Take away MD access to surgery, and make this a job. The surgeon would, obviously, be in charge of performing surgery on others. Medical Doctor is already too varied a job in my opinion, and making surgeon a job would help solve that.

These are just a few ideas I had. I would love to hear other people’s ideas in this thread. I like constructive criticism of my ideas as well.  Lets make this happen.

• With Nox being a server with upwards of 60 people on regularly, late-joiners have only one job option: Assistant. Being an assistant can be fun, but it can also be boring as fuck. In an attempt to cut down on the amount of assistants in a round, I am proposing new jobs be added. Here are a few ideas that I came up with that could help cut down on the grey tide.

Judge: A purely roleplay job, runs the court and sentences criminals. Ideally, this would save the other Heads from having to run trials. Granted, this job would base success off trials actually being used.

Judicial Service Branch Officer: Court-Martials Security. Ever complained that security was shit and couldn’t do anything about it? Report it to this guy, and he will make sure that the shitcurity gets demoted or even jailed for his heinous shitcurity-ing. Basically, a job that gives the station a way to not have shitcurity. If anyone is shitcurity, they would be stripped of rank by this guy.

Marine: Basically, the station military consultant. When Syndicate forces invade the station, a bunch of mall-cops with red suits aren’t really going to do much. That is where this guy steps in. Have a maximum of 1 marine starting per round. Don’t give him authority to arrest people but make him better equipped than your average security officer. In absence of a Syndicate invasion, just let him be a bodyguard or something. Could also make for interesting roleplay as well.

Secretary: Basically an assistant with a specialized role. This could work kind of how security officers are assigned to a post at the beginning of a round. Have a secretary assigned to medbay to run the front desk and take care of medical records, have a secretary sorting minerals on the mining station so the miners can go back out and mine, have a secretary in cargo doing the paperwork. This job could be applied to a lot of things, and takes stress off some of the jobs that already have too many duties to begin with.

Telecomms Technician: Telecomms, in my opinion, is one of the least used rooms on-station. Give a person or two a job there. The telecomms technicians could be given insulated suits or something in order to maintenance the machines. They could be assigned to monitor the network for suspicious messages, and use NTSL to optimize the system. They could even use NTSL to silence criminals on the loose with security’s permission. This way, there could be an electronic warfare element introduced to catching criminals.

Farmer: With this job in place, ordering animals would actually have a good use. If I am not mistaken, the breeding code is already implemented. Just give this job a small room to work with, and have him be the botanist equivalent for meat.

Physician: A purely roleplay job, they would be in charge of diagnosing mental illnesses and treating the clinically insane. Pass the duty of the CMO removing heads of staff to this guy. Pehaps even enforce the Clone memory disorder idea and have newly cloned people come to this guy if they want help getting their memories back.

Surgeon: Take away MD access to surgery, and make this a job. The surgeon would, obviously, be in charge of performing surgery on others. Medical Doctor is already too varied a job in my opinion, and making surgeon a job would help solve that.

These are just a few ideas I had. I would love to hear other people’s ideas in this thread. I like constructive criticism of my ideas as well.  Lets make this happen.

• nothing stopping an assitant from putting on some clothes and asking the HoP for a special job name / the whole point of being an assistant.

hos / captain are supposed to demote security.

already have elite security

nothing stopping an assitant from putting on some clothes and asking the HoP for a special job name / the whole point of being an assistant.

botanists already make meat

no / nothing stopping an assitant from putting on some clothes and asking the HoP for a special job name / the whole point of being an assistant.

medical doctor is already too weak of a job to start splitting its roles

• Game Admins

@Dent:

botanists already make meat

:link:

• Thank you for destroying my thread, haha. Anyway, in response to a lot of those arguments:
    Elite security is just a person with all access above the law, the marine role wouldnt have that. By asking the HoP to make you a custom job you have a 50% chance the HoP will be a douche and say no. Would you give telecomms access to a random assistant? No. Also, by asking the hop for the job, you may get the title on your id, but you wouldnt get any gear. There are no lockers filled with tcomms techs jumpsuits or hardsuits. There are no psychiatrist offices, etc etc. having the job as a starter job would allow all these things, while getting your id changed would be practically useless.

• Out of all these I gota say the telecomms one actually sounds pretty useful. Communication is very important to the station and when it gets knocked out it tends to cause a lot of chaos and panic. Having a few guys working at telecomms not only one helps protect it in case someone breaks in but two also has someone to always make sure communications is up and running, and three it also helps to protect the station by having someone to monitor the radio channels and keep an eye on PDA messages being sent. I’m all for this job being added, it could branch off engineering. Hell they got atmos, why not add telecomm jobs, all the other departments got multipul jobs.

• T-Comms is CE’s responsibility and they don’t watch it. None of the other engineering jobs watch their departments and Engine/Atmos tampering have far more catastrophic effects than someone messing with comms. There’s no reason for me to believe anyone is going to sit in t-comms all round doing nothing.

• Librarian and lawyer are pointless as fuck to but we still have them. At least the telecomm job would be half way useful and give players an oppurtunity to learn new stuff about the station and game mechanics such as how communications and the servers work.

• T-comms maint is supposed to be done by the CE as dent said, not to mention it takes five seconds to fix any problem unless the entire room was blown to shit.

I feel like emphasis should be put on the fact that Telecoms is literally ONE ROOM. It doesn’t need a specific job.

• Okay, well chemist, genetics, HoP, and lawyer is all pretty much one room but they’re still jobs. All i’m suggesting is at least add more shit to do, even if the job doesn’t have that great of a purpose. Shit its better than having 40 griefing assistants running around the station.

• Tcomms engineer is already a job I do as AI as the only thing you do is make sure that nobody enters and keep that APC running…

… aaaaaaand insert replace($content, “Captain”, “Comdom”); in common every channel

Also we already have farmers and we call them scientists who milk get eaten by glorious slime race.

Purely roleplay jobs would end up like the lawyer and you DON’T want to end up as space lawyer… or maaaybee it has other reasons why everyone ignores the lawyer.
    Anyway I don’t see anything that could require a new job and no even computer technicians are replaced by scientists who can build every circuit board and have enough materials at hand to reprogram the AI to serve the Glorious Nation of Sciencia only (I tested that… surprisingly you don’t have enough materials to build 2 bags of holding and destroy the station with it you have to get 1 gold bar for it)

The only purpose that more jobs have is the fact that traitors have less room to sabotage if there is always someone watching especially the AI who builds their whole strategy on the crew not doing their jobs correctly…

Okay the telecommunications technician is actually useful as high ranked traitors can simply barge into that room and have their way with the whole system which can be quite deadly if programmed right but the other suggestions aren’t.

EDIT: Why does the captain never hire a personal bodyguard? That seems like a pretty smart idea and there are a lot of robust assistants looking for something to smash.

• How about moving tcomms to within engineering so it isnt just one door between the tcomms equipment and the rest of the station.

• How about we move tcomms back to its own satelite and make the station how it used to look when xeno was outside of the station…

• @Romarkend:

How about we move tcomms back to its own satelite and make the station how it used to look when xeno was outside of the station…

Assistants would go for the Space Suits and fly to Telecoms and fuck shit up and waste Engineer’s time to fix it.

• I doubt that lol… back when it was far from the station the only people you really seen out there were either nuke ops or people who had teleporter access, I’m pretty sure tcomms was on a whole different z-level from the station so it made it really fucking hard to mess with, not to mention turrets to which I think could only be deactivated with the proper access ID

• we give turrets to tcomms, but no turrets for the singolo that is even worse then the silenced screams of crew members?

are u mad

• I think tcomms should be like a separate department, with security assigned to it. Expand the tcomms room a bit, create a job called ‘telecommunications officer’ or something and have two people posted there, create randomly occurring server errors which they must fix such as engineering radio suddenly going down, this is so they actually have something to do and don’t become assistants with a fancy suit and ID. Maybe tcomms start very basic and they can do valuable upgrades to it.

It’s really boring/disappointing when comms are down within seconds into the round. There needs to be someone in there from round start to prevent such.

• I almost wonder if it would be work bringing back the old school way assistants worked
    basically assistants would be broken into catagories for departments, like a medical assistant would be a lowgrade doctor, and an engineering assistant would basically be as they are now, probably with basic engineering access as well.

• nernums, they’ll just grey tide everything as its now ten times easier for them to get shit since they have access. especially engineering assistant,

but if the system works, and that assistant actually helps out, you’ve got a robust individual covering your ass even better then the current dept sec (which is shitty) and will make antags just even harder when an med assistant is stopping lings from eating people and bringing dead bodies to genetics and robotics CONSTANTLY.

• goon used to have those but they removed them for some reason.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.