Dev tools

• A script that can be run to update the servers svn to current svn, and compile.
    (a tool to forcequit and restart wouldn’t be a bad thing either should a freeze up occur, although I don’t know how common they happen on NoX)

• A script that can be run to update the servers svn to current svn, and compile.
    (a tool to forcequit and restart wouldn’t be a bad thing either should a freeze up occur, although I don’t know how common they happen on NoX)

• Administrators

Been suggested plenty of times. I don’t trust everyone on the dev team enough to make this.

• and thats why I was suggesting a limited script, instead of full root access.
    Hell you could have it log IP’s of who accesses it and who pushed what.

none of the updates I’ve put in have been pushed to the server yet

• Administrators

Someone (a dev or someone with [un]authorized access to a dev’s computer) could upload a malicious DLL loaded by DM code to do bad things to the server. They could be using some Byond exploit that I don’t know about to do much of the same. I know I would. That’s why I often check diffs before actually updating the server. NN is mostly just a game host/community but I’m not letting a spessman game affect the GMod servers. The less attack vectors the better.

Also when you add something worth updating the server over, post here: http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=16837.30. Every now and then I’ll update it regardless if I have free time and see a good number of updates. Also, follow this: http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=17291.0

That said the remote restarter could save me some trouble and doesn’t present any danger to the integrity of our glorious community. It may be implemented in the next 5 to 10 years.

• You sound worse than my grandmother. “get off google they’re taking pictures through the webcam”

First of all, the extreme paranoia is sort of insane.
    Second, if its not paranoia, why the Fuck would you have people on the dev team who you are expecting to just fuck everything over for the luls ?

I’m just not quite understanding that.

• Game Admins

I don’t know most of the Dev’s full names. Let alone their skill, competencies, relations or motives.

Why would you trust them? You also have to remember that SS13 is the smallest part of the NN server.

• Administrators

@Nernums:

You sound worse than my grandmother. “get off google they’re taking pictures through the webcam”

You’re extremely short sighted. The reason that I know it’s an attack vector is because I’ve done this before, most notably on GMod RP servers. People get butthurt at NoXiousNet on a daily basis and a few of them are bound to have some technical know-how. It’s happened before and it’s going to happen again. I won’t bother looking at logs to confirm this but just yesterday we had a bit under thirty minutes of irregular network downtime, probably a mid-sized DDoS.

If I just blindly allow people to update the server without checking anything, all those idiots would need to “close the gap” and get at us is to pretend they want to help with the station, have a developer friend or find a developer that’s shit at computer security. They’re all likely situations.

I don’t even know why I’d need to explain this to a programmer, so let us worry about server integrity.

• Game Admins

@Benjy:

I don’t know most of the Dev’s full names. Let alone their skill, competencies, relations or motives.

Why would you trust them? You also have to remember that SS13 is the smallest part of the NN server.

smallest part? hahahahAHAHAHAHAHA, the SS13 server has more players than ZS; maybe not players that originated from nox but it’s definetly more popular

the restarter would be fine in my hands
    :O)

• Game Admins

Activity isn’t what I was talking about.

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.