Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Get rid of mining, replace it with Explorer

• My idea for mining is to remove it. GASP you say

Well, yes. What I would like to change it to instead is the Explorer job. The Exp role is primarily for two things: Exploring the asteroid + surrounding area, and exploring the Gateway.

This requires some assumptions: Mainly the Gateway missions be put back in.

Essentially, the Explorer (or Expeditionary or whatever cool name you want for it) has the items available to go on long exploratory missions, either in deep space or in hostile environments. They still are ruled by the Quartermaster and their department is still south of Cargo Bay.

The Mining Station would require an overhaul – either to make it a junkier, abandoned sort of mining station (maybe CentComm found new sources of resource so can send it by cargo now and shut down the mining department?) or replace it entirely with a self-contained Forward Operating Base. The Explorers would still have mining tools, so their job would actually be unchanged if you still wanted to just mine.

What would change however is the asteroid layout – much more randomness to it is easily possible including way more asteroid chambers, with way more rare and unique spawnable items as well as the occasional hostile creature, like a pair of Space Carp trapped inside a chamber. Ideally, each time you play the game the asteroid would be completely different. There’s no reason we can’t add more stuff than just asteroid chambers, such as old crashed shuttles, ancient ruins, battlegrounds, or what have you, all randomized each time. Maybe even hostile environment areas like gas clouds or volcanic vents.

Explorer Job:

• Has access to Cargo Bay lobby, Mining (now Expedition Quarters or something), and Gateway by default.
    • Boss is the QM
    • Gets all standard Mining items, but:
    • Mining Hardsuit is now Explorer’s Hardsuit
    • Gets access to Jetpacks
    • Mining weapon melee damage scales on the item (ie. diamond drill should do more than regular pick, which they currently are all the same, even the plasma cutter)
    • Get access to a few spare items: Medkits, analyzers, radios
    • New items

PPL-1 Pistol: Personal Protection Laser pistol. Slowly self-recharges. The laser projectiles are specially made to be absorbed by Nanotrasen uniforms, so it does not harm crew members in any way (unless they are naked). Deals 15 damage per shot, slightly less than an egun, but can only damage NPCs and non-human organics such as monkeys or aliens.

Explorer’s Hardsuit: This RIG suit is much like the mining suit, with some notable differences: It protects you slightly less against damage, doesn’t decrease your movement speed as much, and has an extra ability: Grappling Hook Launcher.
    As detailed in my Robotics post, the Grappling Hook allows you to fire a projectile at a nearby object, wall, or other turf. If the object is immobile, when the hook is detracted it drags you towards it. If the object is mobile (ie. a person), it drags them towards you instead. You can CUT the grappling cable and if this is done so in space, it forms a temporary line of structure going from you to the target that allows people to walk along it.

• My idea for mining is to remove it. GASP you say

Well, yes. What I would like to change it to instead is the Explorer job. The Exp role is primarily for two things: Exploring the asteroid + surrounding area, and exploring the Gateway.

This requires some assumptions: Mainly the Gateway missions be put back in.

Essentially, the Explorer (or Expeditionary or whatever cool name you want for it) has the items available to go on long exploratory missions, either in deep space or in hostile environments. They still are ruled by the Quartermaster and their department is still south of Cargo Bay.

The Mining Station would require an overhaul – either to make it a junkier, abandoned sort of mining station (maybe CentComm found new sources of resource so can send it by cargo now and shut down the mining department?) or replace it entirely with a self-contained Forward Operating Base. The Explorers would still have mining tools, so their job would actually be unchanged if you still wanted to just mine.

What would change however is the asteroid layout – much more randomness to it is easily possible including way more asteroid chambers, with way more rare and unique spawnable items as well as the occasional hostile creature, like a pair of Space Carp trapped inside a chamber. Ideally, each time you play the game the asteroid would be completely different. There’s no reason we can’t add more stuff than just asteroid chambers, such as old crashed shuttles, ancient ruins, battlegrounds, or what have you, all randomized each time. Maybe even hostile environment areas like gas clouds or volcanic vents.

Explorer Job:

• Has access to Cargo Bay lobby, Mining (now Expedition Quarters or something), and Gateway by default.
    • Boss is the QM
    • Gets all standard Mining items, but:
    • Mining Hardsuit is now Explorer’s Hardsuit
    • Gets access to Jetpacks
    • Mining weapon melee damage scales on the item (ie. diamond drill should do more than regular pick, which they currently are all the same, even the plasma cutter)
    • Get access to a few spare items: Medkits, analyzers, radios
    • New items

PPL-1 Pistol: Personal Protection Laser pistol. Slowly self-recharges. The laser projectiles are specially made to be absorbed by Nanotrasen uniforms, so it does not harm crew members in any way (unless they are naked). Deals 15 damage per shot, slightly less than an egun, but can only damage NPCs and non-human organics such as monkeys or aliens.

Explorer’s Hardsuit: This RIG suit is much like the mining suit, with some notable differences: It protects you slightly less against damage, doesn’t decrease your movement speed as much, and has an extra ability: Grappling Hook Launcher.
    As detailed in my Robotics post, the Grappling Hook allows you to fire a projectile at a nearby object, wall, or other turf. If the object is immobile, when the hook is detracted it drags you towards it. If the object is mobile (ie. a person), it drags them towards you instead. You can CUT the grappling cable and if this is done so in space, it forms a temporary line of structure going from you to the target that allows people to walk along it.

• Sounds good,the current mining system is just boring and when you gather loads of materials most of the station is dead/destroyed or just don’t want the materials.
    Also I normally pick miner when I want to go space exploring anyway.

• I dunno about the mining station. I still want to expand it into a mini-station. As a side note, it would give me a reason to put dangerous maps back in the gateway though it is highly likely only the explorer gateway would access those maps.

• I’d thought about suggesting moving the gateway to mining and adding moderate amounts of ores as loot as a way of simultaneously making mining not the worst job in the game and making it harder for the entire crew to abandon their jobs and get themselves killed.

• I’m considering replacing mining with this, but that will be some time off.

• Perhaps a treasure finder to find the treasure chambers put it on the abounded mine station

• miner isn’t being removed, gateway missions are being replaced with exploration missions that have tech you can’t normally get on the station that is randomly spawned which will mainly be for research, which will include a new job; there isn’t going to be any of that retarded run and gun shit with syndicates and bears

• good, now science doesn’t have an excuse to sit on their asses and feed slime’s all day ignoring robotic’s pleas for them to do their job

• lol slime can be useful for them with metal slimes for plasteel

• im not ragging on xenobiology im just saying they don’t do their actual jobs

• @Nevone:

good, now science doesn’t have an excuse to sit on their asses and feed slime’s all day ignoring robotic’s pleas for them to do their job

Let’s not kid ourselves. We all know miners won’t give science the research needed or science still won’t do the job as it just isn’t fun. Just had a round earlier where we had 4 chemists and I couldn’t get a single one to fill a beaker with acid as they were to busy making lexo and ch. Needless to say calling for the cmo resulted in him not showing up to fire them.

• Hate when they dont help usually that when you barge in by cutting the hall wall just above the dispenser so you can use it

Users

Topics