Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

New pc configuration and questions

• My new build (hopefully) being built this summer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T1ET (Yes I know so and so gpu is better and cheaper in sli but I want a new one that I may sli later.)

Feel free to suggest anything i’d be most willing to change the mobo and or psu.

My currently selected psu ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= ) says it is 2.91 sli ready, if I wanted to go gtx 680 sli would I need a sli 3.0 compatable psu?

Please don’t send anymore pcpartpicker links, it removes my current config, just list the parts. Thanks in advance.

• My new build (hopefully) being built this summer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T1ET (Yes I know so and so gpu is better and cheaper in sli but I want a new one that I may sli later.)

Feel free to suggest anything i’d be most willing to change the mobo and or psu.

My currently selected psu ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= ) says it is 2.91 sli ready, if I wanted to go gtx 680 sli would I need a sli 3.0 compatable psu?

Please don’t send anymore pcpartpicker links, it removes my current config, just list the parts. Thanks in advance.

• I don’t keep up with the newer hardware but I’d probably get a 660 instead of a 680 - half the price for comparable performance. I feel like by the time the 660 is unable to perform well, the money you’ll have saved will almost be enough to get the 660 equivalent of the next or second-next generation (which according to trends will be superior to the 680, and not to mention you’d be able to resell the 660 for a reasonable fraction (~1/4) of your investment).

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who turns every graphic option down to low or zero regardless of requirements or performance, so you may want to consider someone else’s opinion.

• between the 660ti and the 680 there’s about a 20% difference in performance for about 40% increase in price. (at least in the U.K). The 660ti and that processor should be able to run any game on highest settings at 1080p res above or around 60fps (AA occasionally sacrificed).

How important is efficiency for you?

• I just kinda want a 680 to do sli later if I need to, I know 660 is a great budget card but I kind of have my mind set on 680. :action-smiley-060:

• @Elite:

How important is efficiency for you?

@Blueberry604:

I just kinda want a 680 to do sli later if I need to.

Then this thread is irrelevant.

• If you’re spending this much than you might as well get a cheap 60gig ssd for a boot drive. (I have Steam and all my games on my TB.)

• Get an after market cooler. If you dont intend on OC’ing your cpu, dont bother with a z77 mobo

• @ Elite
    @Elite:

Then this thread is irrelevant.

@Blueberry604:

There is still a question at hand and things to discuss, what is so irrelevant about it?

@ Cmasta I may get a ssd after a while, but right now I don’t want to spend all my time managing space between a tiny 60 gb ssd and a hdd.

@ Rover I don’t plan on oc, I want my cpu to live a long happy life and i’m rather new to cable management so there might already be cooling issues. And because I don’t plan on oc and z77 is supposedly useless, what mobo in the same price range do you suggest?

• Efficiency and sli don’t really go together.

• Well, 2 way sli gives almost a 2x boost in fps in bf3 but I see where you’re coming from in regards to any more than two cards.

• what resolution do you play at?

• 1600x900 a step below 1080p, 680 is going to give me enough fps so I won’t have to sli for a long time.

• At 1600x900 you probably won’t need to sli for another 10 years with that card.

• how about getting a new monitor for the sake of not going overboard with the GPU? I mean what really is the point in a top of the range GPU when it’s not even needed? And when you say “enough fps”, what sort of number are we looking at, since the bench mark you posted gets 30fps on bf3 at highest settings at a resolution 3 times higher than 1080p, with 4xAA. So it will probably do around 60-70fps on one screen.

• I’m pretty happy with my current monitor, I have never had problems with it and is nice and clear. How about the mobo, any suggestions over the extreme 4? And I still need to know if my psu is compatible.

• I feel like your machine is way too overkill for that monitor. Future proofing is kinda pointless considering DX12 or 13 will probably be out by the time that the 680 gtx will bottleneck at 1600x900 (or even 1680x1050.)

• Good point, I will consider upgrading my monitor when I have more money. ( I already have my mind set on gtx 680 so don’t suggest downgrading)  :weee:

• If it gets to the point where you’re happier because a benchmark figure is higher then you’re probably wasting money.

• @CMasta:

DX12 or 13 will probably be out by the time that the 680 gtx will bottleneck at 1600x900 (or even 1680x1050.)

He’d probably replace the graphics card because of it just being a bottleneck than he would have to replace it because dx11 isn’t supported.
    even today games are still coming out that run on dx9 and 10

Users

Topics