Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

What are the best cading props?

• I’m putting the finishing touches on my map and could use some input on which props are now the best to use for cading.

• I’m putting the finishing touches on my map and could use some input on which props are now the best to use for cading.

• Why would you want to put the easiest to win props in a map? You have to make your map challenging. Just put the props that are most suitable with the environment of your map. If it’s a house map then use generic furniture, warehouse use stuff that you would find in one and so on. Don’t go for the usual red sofas, blue shelves and vending machines.

• @Pufulet:

Why would you want to put the easiest to win props in a map? You have to make your map challenging. Just put the props that are most suitable with the environment of your map. If it’s a house map then use generic furniture, warehouse use stuff that you would find in one and so on. Don’t go for the usual red sofas, blue shelves and vending machines.

Big props aren’t a good idea anymore so I don’t have many of those.  In fact I had to delete a bunch of vending machines just now.

My main reason for asking is that I’m at the limit for entities and I’m trying to get as much bang for the buck.  Plus I’m using oil drums as a base prop and its just boring having nothing but those everywhere.

I’m just looking for ideas.  Crates, shelves and drums are no fun.

EDIT: Also, what kind of props are cade props?  prop_physics, prop_physics_multiplayer, prop_dynamic…?

• prop_physics_multiplayer. Create a topic about your map and include images and I will provide more help including other people.

• Another question:  can I make brushes into cade props?  I think func_physbox just breaks.

EDIT: Yeah.  Setting ‘Strength’ to zero should make the brush indestructible but it still breaks.

• DO NOT use prop_physics_multiplayer. The optimizations they use do not have a significant impact on performance and they have an increased likelihood of hurting people.

• @Someone:

DO NOT use prop_physics_multiplayer. The optimizations they use do not have a significant impact on performance and they have an increased likelihood of hurting people.

prop_physics_multiplayer is more likely to gaben people, eh? What do you suggest I use?

This is something I need to know because it’s the only step before I release my beta and begin asking for nox community contributions.

Steam is having some sort of problem so I can’t upload screenshots.  I should be able to finish this off with screenies tomorrow if Steam behaves (if not I’ll just use imjur).

• Just use normal prop_physics. The multiplayer editions of physics entities use simpler, “bouncier” physics which are fine for games like hl2dm, but for zs where people spend a lot of time interacting with props, it is bad.

• @Someone:

Just use normal prop_physics. The multiplayer editions of physics entities use simpler, “bouncier” physics which are fine for games like hl2dm, but for zs where people spend a lot of time interacting with props, it is bad.

Yeah, I can tell the difference now.  You can’t stand on a prop_physics_multiplayer at all.

A few more final tweaks and the beta will be out.

• It was my knowledge that they were meant to be better fps-wise. Guess I wont use them anymore.

• Don’t use basic HL2 props for the sake of their cading usefulness if it doesn’t fit with the theme of the map, I hate that shit.

Can’t go wrong with blue shelves though.

Also, smaller (but not soda can small) stuff like the white lab specimen jar from HL2.

• As a regular cader, I will give you a list of some props to use.
    -  Barrels (not explosive ones)
    -  Metal shelves
    -  Boards
    -  Chairs
    -  No car batteries (electro-hammer is broken)
    -  Boxes
    -  Bricks
    -  Cabinets (all metal ones, big or small)
    -  No blue shelves, they’re awful now
    By the way don’t accept advice from Pufulet

• @Kramer:

As a regular cader, I will give you a list of some props to use.
    -  Barrels (not explosive ones)
    -  Metal shelves
    -  Boards
    -  Chairs
    -  No car batteries (electro-hammer is broken)
    -  Boxes
    -  Bricks
    -  Cabinets (all metal ones, big or small)
    -  No blue shelves, they’re awful now
    By the way don’t accept advice from Pufulet

Actually blue shelves still can work in some cases

• Potted plants are the best cading material. Their hitboxes make it so you can only hit the pot, not the actual plant (dumb zombies will hit the plant [and do no damage]), they have a lot of health, and they make any cade look beautiful.

• If you’re going to add barrels, don’t put a trillion of them in one fucking place like so many other mappers insist on doing.

• @StratocasterTB:

If you’re going to add barrels, don’t put a trillion of them in one fucking place like so many other mappers insist on doing.

yay lost faith

• The best cade i’d say, it’s the more nails than props INSTEAD of more props than nails.

• @rui_troia:

The best cade i’d say, it’s the more nails than props INSTEAD of more props than nails.

But more nails means nothing, I assume you’re talking about the old system? Or are you trying to say “less big props INSTEAD of more small props”?

• @GumADum:

But more nails means nothing, I assume you’re talking about the old system? Or are you trying to say “less big props INSTEAD of more small props”?

More or less,

I’m trying to say, small well placed nailed props instead of one gigant box covering a doorway.

(and I was sorta talking about the old cading system too, wasn’t aware of ZS updates.)

Users

Topics