Is Sandbox going to come back?

• I know there wasn’t always a steady population while it was still up, but on the couple nights a week there were people on it, we had a blast with it. On top of that, it opens up room for us to do more events since we can, as we did before, get multiple opinions on our robot wars contraptions or practice for team-based events.

Also, if the obby comeback is still in the works, Sandbox was a really good place to test courses.

• I know there wasn’t always a steady population while it was still up, but on the couple nights a week there were people on it, we had a blast with it. On top of that, it opens up room for us to do more events since we can, as we did before, get multiple opinions on our robot wars contraptions or practice for team-based events.

Also, if the obby comeback is still in the works, Sandbox was a really good place to test courses.

• Administrators

nope

• What about obby? You haven’t really said yes or no to the question of it coming back, it’s just been “maybe”.

By the way, can’t you make the obby courses in singleplayer? You won’t have signs, fans or any of the other tools, but you’ll still be able to make an obby. Plus it would probably be more inviting if you removed the can maps or the trial and error maps where there’s almost no skill involved. (i remember playing one where you had to jump on clocks with almost all having no collision and you had to memorize which ones you had to collide with)

• @JetBoom:

nope

Come on now, surely there’s a good reason?

• @StratocasterTB:

Come on now, surely there’s a good reason?

I believe the reason was that you could weld the world to a small prop, usually causing the server to crash immediately after.

• That’s what moderators are for.

• Yeah the moderators constantly watch everyone and what they do with massive scrutiny for every action. I personally get in my bans before the second weld is even thought of, even with the massive lag caused by someones legitimate but massive  contraption spazing out in the background.

• Administrators

It crashes
    It is a resource hog
    It is a griefer magnet
    It requires constant updating of third party addons
    And to top it off it isn’t that popular anyway.

• @JetBoom:

It crashes
    It is a resource hog
    It is a griefer magnet
    It requires constant updating of third party addons
    And to top it off it isn’t that popular anyway.

The cure for a server losing its popularity has always been developing the game mode. However, in the case of sandbox, room for development is limited, so I would suggest making sandbox-oriented events like robot wars a weekly or monthly thing to keep people coming to the server.

As for resource hogging, I’m fairly certain that public folder was taking up a lot more space than it needed to.

• @StratocasterTB:

The cure for a server losing its popularity has always been developing the game mode. However, in the case of sandbox, room for development is limited, so I would suggest making sandbox-oriented events like robot wars a weekly or monthly thing to keep people coming to the server.

As for resource hogging, I’m fairly certain that public folder was taking up a lot more space than it needed to.

Super Mayhem Boxes and Awesome Strike: Source are being developed, but awesome strike only has players once in a blue moon or when there’s an event for it, and super mayhem boxes basically never gets any players (though that may because they want to wait until it’s out of beta), and I am pretty sure RTP will be the same when it comes out. So I am rather sure that’s not exactly the cure.
    Also there would be a lot less resource hogging without the need for an advanced duplicator, players can use the dupe saving system that already exists.

• Administrators

A bunch of tiny text files isn’t the kind of resources I’m talking about.

• What exactly causes it to be such a resource hog?

• Weld world to soda can.

That is why sandbox is bad.

• Administrators

Slam the teamplay building system in an empty gamemode and make it so that you have to manually connect constraints with E.
    Now you have a slow sandbox with no addons. Autistic children love creative slow games i.e minecraft. Instantly popular.

Then make it so that constraints/buttons requires power in order to work. Power from solar panels combined with the day/night cycle JetBoom made. Use the teamplay mana system. Now you have a basic shitty spacebuild.

Third iteration would be to survive or some shit like that.
    Now you have winter survival.

• @Thor:

Weld world to soda can.

That is why sandbox is bad.

too bad garry made a shitty fix that barely works in certain conditions

hint: crazy physics

• Would it be less of a hog without wiremod?

• Administrators

That’s only half of it. The other half is using immense physics on an engine not designed for immense amounts of physics.

• Is there some magical way it could be hosted on a separate physical server without increasing your monthly bill?

• Administrators

no.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.